oak vs sodus vs oswego?

twring23

Hello all. I'm somewhat new to salmon fishing and have only fished out of Sodus point a dozen times.  Oak orchard and Oswego are only 20 min further away from my home.  So here is the question - is the fishing out of Oak Orchard or Oswego considerably better than fishing out of Sodus to warrant the extra 20 min of towing? Thanks for any info and tight lines to all

• Like 1

Depends largely on the time of year.  Early season west seems to be more consistent.  This time of year, fish are piled into the eastern basin.  Not to say they can't be caught everywhere, but that's the general pattern

• Like 1

given that scenario it seems like the genny or I bay might be a shorter drive?  and the river area should be heating up.  Overall for the year the range from the oak to oz is a great set of options you can chase weather and wind directions or hot bites.  there are several good launches in-between to keep in mind throughout the year as well

Lake Erie water from the Niagara River and Welland Canal is warmer and it holds along the shoreline to the Eastward. It does not entice the salmon to hold there. They seek cold water after cold nights and finding the cold water is the answer. The cold water flows deep into the lake below the warmer lake water. In the west coast mountain streams the cold water comes from glacier and snow melts which we do not have here until winter snows fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

This year was great everywhere. Don't get used to it. But you may want to consider additional parameter. How far do you have to run on the water to reach the fishing grounds! On that one, Oswego out of Wrights Landing is only 5 to 10 minutes. Another pro for Oswego is the very large area inside the Break Walls. You can actually fish protected from the waves and be succesful inside the break wall area.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Yankee Troller said:

The Oak is probably the most consistent port on the Lake from April-October. I hear it's a lot more friendly port too.

You sure about that?  I hear the Black North can be touch and go on a Saturday night..

Edited by Tall Tails
spelling

35 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

You sure about that?  I hear the Black North can be touch and go on a Saturday night..

:rofl:

When you're drunk there every weekend, loud, and obnoxious people get annoyed. Some day he'll find a port that can handle him. So far he's 0 for 2.

• Like 1