Hit a log

Getwidit

Chipped what I think is the anti ventilator? Anyone think its nessacary to get it welded? How important is it ect. I'm not even sure what it does and I'm almost sure it doesnt touch water when boat is planed off. It's a 2005 Yamaha 115 4 stroke. Thanks for your help. 

20180913_183234.jpg

20180913_183230.jpg

20180913_182025.jpg

I have no idea what its for but I would fix it. My guess is a gusset to add strength to the lower unit. I have a 2001 Yamaha 115 4 stroke.  Best running ,best starting,most fuel efficient motor I have ever had.I want it to be the last motor I buy.  If it was hit hard enough to take out a chunk like that if may also have some hairline fractures you cant see.When they grind some of the paint back to weld it and if there are any hairline fractures they would be able to see them and repair them. You can take just the lower unit to a shop that welds aluminum  . I would not think it would be an expensive repair .

Just my two cents..

That part of the plate is designed to keep water from spraying back into the stern of the boat while at speed. I highly doubt that there are any hairline cracks in the housing caused by this hit. The most I would do is either sand it smooth or slap some JB weld on it and sand it so it conforms to the deflector plate.