Cayuga Cayuga 9/16

Reel Doc

Put in early at Dean's Cove and enjoyed the sunrise while heading farther South than I've run all Summer.  Set up on the West side near the Boy Scout Camp and started trolling North.   Trying some new things, dypsy with a dodger and fly along with an inline board towing a stick bait.  Third line was a rigger at 60 and added a cheater. 

Has there been a recent release of landlocks down there?  Skippies were a nuisance hitting the rigger constantly for the first half of the 3 hour troll.

Could not get anything else going so swapped out the dodger for a mountain dew flasher and a stout Laker grabbed it down about 85 over 120.  Put the board away and ran 500 copper down the chute with a white flasher fly combo and could hardly keep it set before another Laker on it.  Pretty consistent that as zig zag from 100-200 fow the action tended to be at 140.   Kept 2 for an ERabbit style fish fry tomorrow night and let 3 more go, all were easily 7 pounds and up.    Never could get anything bigger than a Skippy off the rigger. A beautiful morning on the water but it started to heat up by 10 so called it a day.

MVIMG_20180916_065348.jpg

The Atlantic juveniles have long been an issue for me on both Seneca and Cayuga. I can't stand dragging them around and both dwindling their potential contribution to the population while negating the potential of my presentation.

A trick I learned from a charter captain on Skaneateles to help determine if a skippy was dragging: half hitch a rubber band onto the fishing line, hook the rubber band onto the blacks release. Makes it easier to see the tip bouncing when dragging small ones.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

27 minutes ago, rusty1034 said:

A trick I learned from a charter captain on Skaneateles to help determine if a skippy was dragging: half hitch a rubber band onto the fishing line, hook the rubber band onto the blacks release. Makes it easier to see the tip bouncing when dragging small ones.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

yeah, I have tried it, and it does work if you stay attentive… just such a pita