Status of Seneca Lake DEC Meeting 10-2-18

Sk8man

DEC Delivers press release
DEC Delivers Press Release - Information to keep you connected and informed from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Share or view as a web page || Update preferences or unsubscribe

DEC Announces State of the Fisheries of Seneca Lake Meeting

Public Meeting October 2

As part of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo's NY Open for Fishing and Hunting Initiative, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) announced today that DEC's Region 8 Fisheries Management Unit will present recent sampling results and summarize management efforts on Seneca Lake at a public meeting on October 2.

"This public forum on the state of Seneca Lake fisheries provides an opportunity for DEC fisheries scientists to share their knowledge about fishery resources with the public," DEC Region 8 Director Paul D'Amato said. "New York provides excellent opportunities for interested anglers to interact with the managers studying these fisheries. Our staff is committed to sound management of the Finger Lakes' fisheries and strives to maintain high-quality angling opportunities and associated economic benefits."

The Finger Lakes and their tributaries support thriving populations of fish, including a variety of trout and salmon, bass, walleye, yellow perch, panfish, and esocids. Seneca Lake, the largest of the Finger Lakes, comprises more than 43,300 acres. A 2007 statewide angler survey estimated 178,340 angler days were spent on Seneca Lake making it the 8th most fished water in the State. The estimated value of these fisheries exceeded $5.9 million to the local economy.

The meeting, hosted by Hobart and William Smith Colleges, will be held on Tuesday, October 2, 2018, from 6:30 - 9:00 p.m. in the Vandervort Room, Scandling Campus Center at Hobart and William Smith Colleges, 300 Pulteney Street, Geneva, NY (Ontario County). Ample parking is available. For directions and a campus map, visit the Hobart and William Smith Colleges website (link leaves DEC webpage).

DEC biologists will provide updates on the status of trout and salmon fisheries, warmwater fish, fishing regulations, water quality and DEC's Angler Diary Program. There will be time allotted at the end of the scheduled program for the audience to interact with the presenters.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/77537.html

Interesting meeting. I only wish they handed out the info we discussed or possibly a website with the data uploaded. I think the state could raise their diary participants if they had a website the data could be entered rather than filling out a book.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I suggested it a few years ago to Region 8 after a meeting and they said they "weren't prepared to do it" (whatever that means)

If you stayed a bit longer Jason, they discussed it more. They are working on it. They stated there were a few snags and they were working on fixing the issue.

Overall it was a very informal meeting. Still questions for very good.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app