Paint bubbling

Getwidit

I noticed some paint bubbling on my 2005 alumna craft. Dont know how long its been. There because I bought it a few weeks ago I noticed it but didnt notice all of it. What kind of suggestions do you guys have? Is it common, should it be fixed? Cost benefit type thing. None of it's real bad. I'll send pics tomorrow 

Where on the boat is it?  Lund had had issues with electrolysis on the transom which appears as bubbling paint.  I guess under some circumstances the treated wood in the transom reacts with the aluminum.  Not sure if alumnacraft had that issue but thought I'd mention it

Do you have a multimeter?  See if there's any voltage on those wires.  Also check to see what they run back to, I would be cautious with open wires just lying in the boat..

One other thing to check - does your motor still have an anode on it and is it in good shape?  Might be worth replacing w/ a new zinc anode

Definately something you want to get to the bottom of. If you have access to a multi meter test the bilge with water in it and go from there. Some videos on the Web on how to do it. In the mean time make sure your batteries are disconnected either thru a perko switch(off) or just disconnect terminals anytime you aren't using the boat. Good luck. Keep us posted.

That will do it, you have electrolysis going on. You need to check the wiring and make sure its proper, they probably removed a bilge pump and just didn't disconnect-connect the wires.  You can grind the bad spots down and prime with some good barrier coat primer and paint. its a pain in the neck but easy fix. Make sure paint is suitable for alum boats. I like the interlux stuff. 

• 3 weeks later...