Downrigger rods

Hi.

I'm on the steps to order some new downrigger rods. I've been recomand Pinnacle Silstar Powertip 8.6' $60

Today I use Greys SIN 8.6' Scandinavian Model, but this are terrible expencive ($285) and I'm not an bank robber so I've got to find some cheeper.

Any of you having experience of this Pinnacle rod or other simular to they? 10-20lb and for me it's important that they have top over, or spigot connection. I'm not forced to buy the Pinnacle, but they're in the right price class here at the wrong side of the atlantic (if you look at prizes on fishing gear. If someone kneew a downrigger rod with top over connection, 10-20lb and cork finish at the bottom part, in the prize class $40-80 please let me know

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion 8'6" is a little short for a downrigger rod. Most of my rods are at least 9' & out in BC they use at least a 10' rod. This year I got a couple of Rapala Magnum series 9' rods & used them with my Islander mooching reels. I caught most of my fish on them & had no problem with them. All my other rods are mainly Fenwick Riggersticks with twist guides, great for level winds but not for mooching reels. Rapalas are pretty cheap here so I imagine they're even cheaper there.

You will not find a better downrigger rod for the money. They run about $30.00 a rod and come in different lengths and actions. I highly reccomend them, you will not be dissapointed. I have 5 seasons on a few and they are still ready to go for next season.

Just a link I found off google

http://www.brettsplaceonthebay.com/items/2544100-PARENT

My personal rod of choice is the Daiwa Heartland. I run 8'6" rigger rods and also have Dipsy rods in 9'6" and 10'6". I might give some of the 7'6" rigger rods a shot next season too. I think they run for about $30 at places like Bass Pro, etc. I think they're the best rod for the money out there today.

http://www.daiwa.com/Rod/detaillist.aspx?ID=93

IMHO The longer the rod the harder it is to put pressure on the fish, & the harder it is to use. I have gone to 8' Shimano TDR rods $30 each for riggers & boards & there are several choices for action. I also use Shimano Talora roller rods for my wire & they are 8' too. Used to have 10' Heartlands, but now they are just gathering dust in the garage. In my book, shorter is better. The longer the rod the more leverage the fish has on you.

I use the heartlands also and I like them. I have some ugly sticks to try for next year as well, but havn't fished them yet. I was also very impressed with the Okuma blue diamond downrigger rods last year. If I were starting all over, that's the rod I think I'd get.

We replaced our for two reasons. The first was that the inner part of the guides were falling out left and right. One rod lost three in the first 2 weekends we used them. The second reason was that in the middle of a king battle the real seat broke. You could hold the rod and spin the reel around in a circle. Since we switched to the heartlands there have been no problems. For the money you cannot beat them.

i have a mish mosh of rods.i acquired 5 of the pinnacles last winter and used them this year.i do really like them.i also like my old ugly sticks,my heartland 10-6 diver rods and i have 1 okuma blue diamond 10-6 or 11 diver rod,5 seasons still no problems and a nice rod.

I've spoken to some friends over here and they're Daiwamaniacs, so I think I'll go for the heartland 8.6 rods. Since my others are 8.6 I prefeer them before the Uglystick, and the Heartland is much cheaper. Biggest fish we can catch on our trolling is Hallibuts around 100kgs, but I can altso win in the big lottery. Common size on the fish we get here is from 2-10kgs and in that area the Heartland will fit. But I gonna test the Pinnacle Power Tip next week. If I like em, I gonna bring em in since I then can buy it here in Norway and don't have to wait for post from the US... The pinnacle rod cost 399NOK here ($58.72)