Keuka Sunday 23rd - question for trollers

Lively1

I saw several boats out trolling during the FLTA tourney Sunday on Keuka. One I noticed was running two sets of planer boards. I thought those were mainly for winter/spring after the lake turns over and fish are in the top 20-30 feet. I'm curious if they were running lures deeper off of them somehow, or conversely were picking up fish higher up?  Not a troller myself, just curious.

I saw several boats out trolling during the FLTA tourney Sunday on Keuka. One I noticed was running two sets of planer boards. I thought those were mainly for winter/spring after the lake turns over and fish are in the top 20-30 feet. I'm curious if they were running lures deeper off of them somehow, or conversely were picking up fish higher up?  Not a troller myself, just curious.

I am sure they were running copper or leadcore off the planer boards. We run them year around

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We use planer boards year round to pull 5 leader rigs off of them. They are dual purpose at this point because I run lead core and copper off of them as well.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What size boards do you use Jason? Never tried that with the rigs. Great idea. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We make the boards we use. It's a lot to ask of a board to hold all the weight, and fish but still pull on a turn. I would have to show it to you. Not that easy to explain. Hanging weight off the board changes it quite a bit.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can attest to the fact that they work. I have fished with him using those boards, and they are brute double boards. After watching him repeatedly, I have yet to fully figure out his deployment and retrieval technique. It is very different than mine or anyone else that I know (or have known) and I've run them for about 50 years:lol:. I can understand why he isn't trying to explain it here.It is truly sweet to watch in action though. I'll run (4) 5 leader rigs at a time,but I won't be trying Jason's method anytime soon despite its high degree of effectiveness...something about an old dog and new tricks....I've gotten into enough rig messes over the years to know when to play it safe and go with the familiar:lol:.  I can say that you probably won't be able to find boards that pull weight the way his do; including Amish boards.

Edited by Sk8man