Wellesley Island NY area- Rudest boaters in the USA

BP Swing

I have been boating over 50 years and have never seen anything like the rude boaters around Wellesley Island State Park last weekend. It was unreal. I was fishing fairly close to shore and I had at least 6-7 boaters come between me and the shore going full speed. 30-40 MPH. It was maybe 1/2 of a cast. I could of easily hit them with a cast. I have never seen anything like that before. Maybe 1 fool but not 6 or 7 different boats. Pleasure boats, other fisherman, bass boats, it did not matter. I also had other boats in a few different spots come ridiculously close while we were fishing...full speed. I think I invented a few new swear words! How is no boating license not required? Simply ridiculous. All boaters should have to take a boater safety and etiquette course not just those under 16. Just plain rude boaters up there and elsewhere nowadays. I can remember when I was a kid, boats would slow down if somebody was fishing and be courteous but that is no longer the case. What a shame. Isnt there a rule that says you can not come within so many feet of a anchored or still boat? I must be old school cause I still slow down for guys that are fishing and never go between them and the shore.

• Like 1

We had two tornados go through our area Friday night . Lots of homes destroyed.

Luckily nobody hurt. Same thing here. Lots of people complaining about generators running and stupid stuff. People lost there houses and they are complaining about an hour in line to get a coffee!

It’s now the ‘All about me generation’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been boating over 50 years and have never seen anything like the rude boaters around Wellesley Island State Park last weekend. It was unreal. I was fishing fairly close to shore and I had at least 6-7 boaters come between me and the shore going full speed. 30-40 MPH. It was maybe 1/2 of a cast. I could of easily hit them with a cast. I have never seen anything like that before. Maybe 1 fool but not 6 or 7 different boats. Pleasure boats, other fisherman, bass boats, it did not matter. I also had other boats in a few different spots come ridiculously close while we were fishing...full speed. I think I invented a few new swear words! How is no boating license not required? Simply ridiculous. All boaters should have to take a boater safety and etiquette course not just those under 16. Just plain rude boaters up there and elsewhere nowadays. I can remember when I was a kid, boats would slow down if somebody was fishing and be courteous but that is no longer the case. What a shame. Isnt there a rule that says you can not come within so many feet of a anchored or still boat? I must be old school cause I still slow down for guys that are fishing and never go between them and the shore.

You are in an area that has the very rich and the not so much. I totally agree with you about the boater course being mandatory. It has been a pet peeve of mine for years. My son and I took the 18 hour CG course and I have never been sorry you can go out and buy a twin engine , 38 foot Donzi capable of 100 + MPH. And operate it with NO training. What’s wrong with this picture ? The Abay area is not a good place to go boating.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So you went fishing  in front of a state park that has a ton of recreational boaters on what is possibly the last nice weekend of the year. You were right about complaining, but it was not wise to pick that spot on a weekend. There is what should be and there is reality. For a relaxing fishing trip you should take reality into account and act accordingly.

No I wasnt fishing in front of the park. I was fishing on both sides of the river US and Canada. The worst was on the US side near the park but not in front of the park. So what are you doing...turning this around on me now like its my fault? I know a thing or 2 about remote fishing and where to go. I just didnt expect so many rude boaters who had so little regard for fisherman. You sound like one of them rolmops. At one point I started to Musky troll and I had a guy come parallel (same direction) next to me full speed 20 feet away and then cut right in front of me. 

• Like 1

I feel for ya BP, and the situation is not limited that that particular area either; or to one generation or another. I've had perch guys on Canandaigua, Seneca, and Keuka do about the same thing, and some of it was on purpose as they were experienced older fishermen and certainly know better. The bottom line here is that our culture has changed greatly over the years, and many people now display a lack of courtesy in many different ways; and sport fishermen or recreational boaters are no different. There are always some people that don't seem to absorb or integrate basic courtesy, shared values, rules of the road, or patience for that matter. As a culture we often seem to be pretty selfish, self-absorbed, and in many cases downright rude. Just travel out of the country sometime and observe some Americans interacting with different citizens speaking different languages, and notice that they expect those people to all speak English, and adapt to our language and customs while in their own country. We are a great nation with many generous, caring people, but not everyone of our citizens fits that model. Some display poor manners, a lack of respect for others, and I'm sure their report cards said "Doesn't  play well with others":lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I was at alex bay shortly after the 4th and i had a bad experience with one of those tour boat,s that you see around there i was fishing out of a small 16ft utility boat with a 25on it and if i didn,t motor up and get out of his way i think he would of sunk me,i was not sure if he was aiming for me or just didn,t see me but anyway i haven,t been back.

9 hours ago, BP Swing said:

No I wasnt fishing in front of the park. I was fishing on both sides of the river US and Canada. The worst was on the US side near the park but not in front of the park. So what are you doing...turning this around on me now like its my fault? I know a thing or 2 about remote fishing and where to go. I just didnt expect so many rude boaters who had so little regard for fisherman. You sound like one of them rolmops. At one point I started to Musky troll and I had a guy come parallel (same direction) next to me full speed 20 feet away and then cut right in front of me. 

No, I am not turning this on you. What I am saying is that if it is peaceful and quiet fishing that you desire, you do your best to stay away from potential a$$hole concentrations.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

So basically we have laws that are not enforceable then. When is the last time you saw somebody get a ticket for coming within 100 feet of an anchored boat......Never. Im assuming that law doesnt apply to drifting boats that are not anchored?

The Coast Guard writes folks for all kinds of things around here, as does the County Sheriff.  Lots of laws are flouted, red lights, stop signs and double yellow lines appear to be mere suggestions anymore.  Getting the Registration Number and reporting someone goes a long way toward getting action, too.

Here is some of the law for the St Lawrence. 

Section 102 Rules governing the operation of motor boats

Navigation (NAV)

The following rules for the operation of motor boats within such zone are hereby established: 1. No motor boat shall be operated within a harbor line at a speed exceeding five miles per hour. The waters of the Saint Lawrence river lying southerly of Wells Island and northwesterly of a line drawn from the easterly tip of Wells Island beginning at a point known as "The Chalet" and easterly and southerly of Saint Elmo Island and continuing southerly of Dewey Island, Nobby Island, and, terminating at the steamship dock, southerly of a point known as "Hope Well Hall"; and the waters of the Saint Lawrence river lying northerly of the mainland of the town of Alexandria, Jefferson county, New York, and southerly of a line drawn from the point of land beginning on the mainland known as Bonne Castle and northerly of Squaw Island to the southwesterly part of Cuba Island, shall constitute harbors for all the purposes mentioned in this article.

2. Every person operating a motor boat shall at all times operate the same in a careful and prudent manner and at such a rate of speed as not to endanger the property of another or the life or limb of any person.

3. No motor boat shall be operated in a reckless manner. Reckless operation shall include operating a motor boat in a manner which unnecessarily interferes with the free and proper use of the waters of said river, or unnecessarily endangers other craft therein, or the life or limb of any person.

4. No motor boat shall be operated during the period from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise at a greater speed than fifteen miles per hour. No motor boat shall be operated during the period from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset at a greater speed than thirty miles per hour. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any motor boat while actually competing in a race held under the auspices of a racing association, chamber of commerce or duly incorporated yacht club.

The provisions of this section are intended to supplement other provisions of this chapter and applicable regulations. The more restrictive provision should be applied if more than one law or rule could be applied to a given situation.

Here's the Bay laws. I was wrong, it is within 300 feet.  As to drifting if you are not anchored or tied or moored, you are underway.

Section 45-AAA Special provisions relating to speed on Irondequoit bay

Navigation (NAV)

1. No vessel shall be operated on Irondequoit bay, which is located within Monroe county, at a speed exceeding twenty-five miles per hour unless such vessel is being operated for the purpose of enabling a person engaged in water skiing or other water sport to be towed, in which case no such vessel shall be operated at a speed exceeding thirty-five miles per hour.

2. No vessel shall be operated in the channel between Irondequoit Bay and Lake Ontario or within three hundred feet of the shore, the channel, a dock, pier, raft or float or an anchored or moored vessel in a manner or at a speed that causes a wake that unreasonably interferes with or endangers such dock, pier, raft or float or an anchored or moored vessel but in no event at a speed exceeding five miles per hour, unless for the purpose of enabling a person engaged in water skiing to take off or land.

3. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any vessel competing in or practicing for a regatta or boat race over a specified course held by a bona fide club or racing association, provided that due written notice of the date of the race has been given to the appropriate law enforcement agency at least fifteen days prior to such race, pursuant to the provisions of section thirty-four of this chapter, and all provisions of this section have been complied with.

4. Any person who operates a vessel in violation of any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation punishable as set forth in section seventy-three-c of this article.

5. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting any town or county from continuing, adopting or enacting any other local laws, resolutions or ordinances related to persons operating a vessel within its limits, but no such municipality shall have the power to make less restrictive any of such provisions.

I wonder if they meant to write Wellesley Island where they wrote Wells Island twice? 30 MPH limit during the day? They can write tickets all day long on that. Didnt see anything about the 100 feet from an anchored boat. Thanks for finding that. 

• Like 1

I know its not possible for everyone to do but the best time to be on the river for fishing is before memorial day and after labor day, you have the river pretty much to yourself. I personally like it anytime just have to plan accordingly early mornings or late nights. Sometimes you still get the one or two but not as often as during the day.

The Coast Guard writes folks for all kinds of things around here, as does the County Sheriff.  Lots of laws are flouted, red lights, stop signs and double yellow lines appear to be mere suggestions anymore.  Getting the Registration Number and reporting someone goes a long way toward getting action, too.

Here is some of the law for the St Lawrence. 

Section 102 Rules governing the operation of motor boats
Navigation (NAV)

The following rules for the operation of motor boats within such zone are hereby established: 1. No motor boat shall be operated within a harbor line at a speed exceeding five miles per hour. The waters of the Saint Lawrence river lying southerly of Wells Island and northwesterly of a line drawn from the easterly tip of Wells Island beginning at a point known as "The Chalet" and easterly and southerly of Saint Elmo Island and continuing southerly of Dewey Island, Nobby Island, and, terminating at the steamship dock, southerly of a point known as "Hope Well Hall"; and the waters of the Saint Lawrence river lying northerly of the mainland of the town of Alexandria, Jefferson county, New York, and southerly of a line drawn from the point of land beginning on the mainland known as Bonne Castle and northerly of Squaw Island to the southwesterly part of Cuba Island, shall constitute harbors for all the purposes mentioned in this article.

2. Every person operating a motor boat shall at all times operate the same in a careful and prudent manner and at such a rate of speed as not to endanger the property of another or the life or limb of any person.

3. No motor boat shall be operated in a reckless manner. Reckless operation shall include operating a motor boat in a manner which unnecessarily interferes with the free and proper use of the waters of said river, or unnecessarily endangers other craft therein, or the life or limb of any person.

4. No motor boat shall be operated during the period from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise at a greater speed than fifteen miles per hour. No motor boat shall be operated during the period from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset at a greater speed than thirty miles per hour. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any motor boat while actually competing in a race held under the auspices of a racing association, chamber of commerce or duly incorporated yacht club.

The provisions of this section are intended to supplement other provisions of this chapter and applicable regulations. The more restrictive provision should be applied if more than one law or rule could be applied to a given situation.

SECTION 101Motor boat regulation zone SECTION 103Violations  

Thanks for posting some of the rules of the road. Unfortunately there are few of us who have the motivation to read them like all motor vehicles operators , there are scoff laws and law enforcement can only catch a small percentage of violators. I still maintain that mandatory education is the only way to , if not stop , at least put a dent in some of the reckless behavior. It’s hard to obey the rules , if you don’t know them

1 hour ago, chinook35 said:

Thanks for posting some of the rules of the road. Unfortunately there are few of us who have the motivation to read them like all motor vehicles operators , there are scoff laws and law enforcement can only catch a small percentage of violators. I still maintain that mandatory education is the only way to , if not stop , at least put a dent in some of the reckless behavior. It’s hard to obey the rules , if you don’t know them

I did the course together with my son who at the time was 12 years old and used to be my constant fishing companion. ( girls changed that). I did another course online that is available through west marine. This one is way more thorough then the classroom course which was presided over by a volunteer non professional. Although both courses taught me a lot, I do not believe that they improve boater's behavior. They will only teach those who would try to behave the proper way to begin with. For the rest they would be an inconvenient delay in getting on the water, where their other character traits would take over anyway. The best way to teach these rules is by imposing fines comparable to traffic tickets and /or jail time for outright dangerous acts and DWI . Just ask some Canadian boaters how much improper behavior on the water can cost.

And the best part is it just isn't powered boats. I had idiots in yaks going between me and shore while I was fishing an island! Really?! Yes staying away from River is a good idea during idiot season. But, when you have to fish it for a tournament, it sucks! Everyone should have to go thru a class to even think about stepping foot into . Should be same as a driver's license. Under 18 need an adult and a permit. My 2 cents.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

We camp up there every year, I'm trying to get the people we camp with to go to a different place as it is a zoo. Pretty much I fish from 5am to about 10-11am then maybe the evening if I feel like it. Otherwise in my boat you get thrown around too much and its not fun fishing in that. I don't fish Erie or Ontario in 3 ft waves so why should I do that on vacation. This last time we went out in the afternoon on Saturday and almost swamped the boat, not real fun. My boat normally is dry on pretty much any other lake and most conditions I fish but up there it always has a good amount of water in it when were are done fishing for the day and pull it.

• Like 1

I rent a place on Fourth Lake in the Fulton Chain in early August every year, on the sand bar area, which is becoming known as the "Redneck Riviera" for all the pontoon boaters and jet skiers who pull up to within 100 feet of shore, anchor, drink beer, and then "wet down" every 20 minutes (a whole other story in rude and inconsiderate).  The shallow zone is clearly marked with pin buoys, and where it veers further out into the lake, there is a large lighted buoy that marks a fair size pile of boulders  that were placed out in the lake in the 1800's as the end of the wooden pier that served the Eagle Bay Yacht Club, long since gone.  Inside the marked area there is a 5 mph speed limit, well advertised in brochures on Fulton Chain navigation laws (there are quite a few) published and distributed all over the area by the Fulton Chain Association.  One major source of entertainment at the camps is watching the obviously well off boaters run inside the pins at speeds of up to 25-30 mph, and occasionally hit the rockpile.  The camp owner even has a nice collection of "parts", including a nearly complete lower unit, mounted to the point where the dock originally anchored to shore.  The kayakers that like to pass within 2 feet of the end our short docks occasionally ask why all the rocks in the pile near the surface are shiny, and we tell them it is aluminum ore!   You'll never get a required course as long as Marina Owners can rent out pontoon boats and jet skies!

There are inconsiderate people everywhere. I try to avoid them. Except for a couple MI tournaments I don’t fish weekends. I am lucky I write my schedule and can get weekdays off to fish. I usually work Saturday and do home repair and maintenance on Sunday. Then I can fish on Tuesday or Wednesday. No crowded launches,most of the lake to myself. I love it when it rains on fishing days,a lot of sissies stay home. Someone mentioned kayaks going between them and shore. I split fishing time between my 18’ boat and my kayak. I’ve never done that in my yak. I’ve paddled around a lot of fishermen. It would be great if everyone on the water was respectful to others but that’s not gonna happen. The original post was about Wellessy island. Man,that’s the last place I would fish between memorial and labor days. The fishing is good for sure but the traffic makes it not worth it except for first light and rainy days. Enough of my mouth,have a great fall bite all.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 12:32 AM, Sk8man said:

I feel for ya BP, and the situation is not limited that that particular area either; or to one generation or another. I've had perch guys on Canandaigua, Seneca, and Keuka do about the same thing, and some of it was on purpose as they were experienced older fishermen and certainly know better. The bottom line here is that our culture has changed greatly over the years, and many people now display a lack of courtesy in many different ways; and sport fishermen or recreational boaters are no different. There are always some people that don't seem to absorb or integrate basic courtesy, shared values, rules of the road, or patience for that matter. As a culture we often seem to be pretty selfish, self-absorbed, and in many cases downright rude. Just travel out of the country sometime and observe some Americans interacting with different citizens speaking different languages, and notice that they expect those people to all speak English, and adapt to our language and customs while in their own country. We are a great nation with many generous, caring people, but not everyone of our citizens fits that model. Some display poor manners, a lack of respect for others, and I'm sure their report cards said "Doesn't  play well with others":lol:

Well said Les!! This year because the jet ski folks at the Black River Camp Grounds have ruined it for everyone who used to tie up to steaks drove into the bank, the fisherman and considerate folks walked along the bank and up the steps, no not those jackass numbheads they just walk strait up through the other campers lot creating a problem!! Now no one can tie off at the bank, either put your boat on the trailer everyday or rent a slip at $20.00 a day. I always got a slip as I can’t crawl up the bank with my issues, just another thing that bone heads ruined for everyone. This country is going to shyt in a hurry that’s for sure....

• Like 1