Bunk Trailer Set-Up

SylvanTroller

I recently IMG_4605.JPGIMG_4604.JPGIMG_4606.JPGIMG_4607.JPGbought an 1996 Proline 231 and it came on a bunk style trailer. I’ve never had a bunk trailer before. The boat has some gel coat damage at the keel where the boat contacts the rollers. Is the boat suppose to rest on the rollers? Rest only on the bunks? Or both? It looks like I could adjust the bunks up to take some pressure off the rollers. I think the rollers are too hard as well. Anyone with any experience with these things that can show me the light............. Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

The bunks are topped with HDPE slides and the bunks themselves are constructed of stainless. The rollers are really really hard and I think at minimum they should be swapped for softer either rubber or the gold/clear ones. But I have no experience with these types of trailers. Any insight or opinions are much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Way back in the day, the 60's and 70's boats were to rest on the keel rollers, the bunks were there for support to keep the boat from flipping off the trailer.

As time has gone on, the center keel rollers have been reduced or even eliminated all together-so raising those bunks up should not be an issue.

Single bunks also were and are still fairly common.

• Like 1

It may just be the angle of the photo but the bunks look a bit short for the length of the boat in terms of the front end support. You may benefit from guide on posts (PVC sections attached to the trailer in the back of it) to keep the boats centerline away from the back end of the bunk too.

• Like 1

Have you unloaded and loaded boat from trailer yet?  If you haven’t might want to try it first before making adjustments.  Looks to me that trailer was designed that way and it was meant to support the boat on both the bunks and rollers.  I have a bunk trailer for my Proline that doesn’t have rollers and my boat loads good on it.  You might also call the manufacturer and ask about that model trailer-I see they are still around.  Trying to make adjustments could open a can of worms. Hope the Proline works out good for you. The rear guide poles are a good addition.

• Like 1

Have you unloaded and loaded boat from trailer yet?  If you haven’t might want to try it first before making adjustments.  Looks to me that trailer was designed that way and it was meant to support the boat on both the bunks and rollers.  I have a bunk trailer for my Proline that doesn’t have rollers and my boat loads good on it.  You might also call the manufacturer and ask about that model trailer-I see they are still around.  Trying to make adjustments could open a can of worms. Hope the Proline works out good for you. The rear guide poles are a good addition.

I havnt splashed her yet. But very good point. I’m going to call the manufacturer and see if they will provide some advice. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Contacted B&S. Very responsive, they advised to add a pair of forward bunks inside the rear bunks and raise it all off the rollers. I acquired some new 8ft bunks to add to the front and a pair of pole guides for the rear. Thanks for the help fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2