Cayuga Cayuga conditions?? UPDATE

Fjaq

Prior to this weeks rain water was crystal clear and dropping in temp it hit below 60 this week and has risen back up currently to 61-62 near ithaca at buoy. Weeds can be a problem floating in patches... but frequent storms have been clearing them out so no huge buildups ive found except around power plant south can be hit and miss. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Launched at Treman  at 9am. Canal like chocolate milk.  Get out 200-300 yards out in lake and clears right up.  Surface temp 64.8deg.  Lots of grass floating but the further north we got the less grass there was.  Picked up 3 small LL and 1 laker.  Lots of bait fish and lots of big fish marks on screen.  Tough getting them to bite though, for us.  Nice day on lake though.  Only saw one other fishing boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing south end Sunday rain or shine any updates havnt been out since March I’m gonna start around 100 fow of water 80-95 fow down taking my 5 year old boy hope to get something. I’m gonna try double stacking riggers for the first time see how that goes anyone else getting out ?

i feel obligated to warn you that there are thunderstorms forecast for tonight and tomorrow, depending on the size of your boat and your ability to see the weather that could be downright dangerous to take a rain or shine approach.  Water temps  have been getting into the 50’s at the surface which if you end up in the water would not be good.   Just be safe please the coast guard auxilliary is winding down operations on the lake for the end of season....and not too many people have been out...I moved my plans to today to avoid it...and I run a very large ocean capable 30 footer... just be safe...

That said water has been mostly clear of debris weedy in spots clear water outside the harbor bite on the south end minimal...sounded the areas shallow and deep between salt plant and ithaca and yacht club south as well minimal returns of the size I look for.  

geez, I regularly take a 14 footer when I don't feel like trailering my 17 center console.. This is the Finger Lakes, not the north Atlantic 200 miles offshore.. If your  18 footer is in good shape, and you have the required safety equipment get out there and enjoy yourself.. If you are really THAT worried, do as I do, and wear your PFD at all times.. I never leave the ramp until mine is on and secured, then I go out there and enjoy myself..

there are very few days on cayuga lake  where your life would be endangered by being on the water... You might get your ass bounced around and wet, and fishing might not be comfortable, but real danger???.. I have fished these lakes for 27 years in boats from 14 to 18 feet , and have NEVER once felt endangered... The waves just don't get  as steep as the ocean or the great lakes.. choppy, white caps, howling winds, yes, but if your 18 footer is of a good design its fine..  In 27 years of fishing cayuga, I have never once seen the deep troughs that can swallow the bow or stern  under green water, or cause a boat to broach... You are much more likely to simply  get some spray in your face than you are to sink in the Finger lakes..  Pick a reasonable day,get out there, and enjoy yourself..  If its so  rough that you are uncomfortable in an 18 footer,  simply pack it in and wait for a better day..... bob

bulletbob - I have to say that after 60 years of fishing the Finger Lakes from a boat I strongly disagree with the thesis that Cayuga or Seneca, or in some cases even  the smaller Finger Lakes aren't much of a safety concern. The fact that the waves may not get as steep as those on the ocean, or even Lake Ontario for that matter can be very deceptive because the wave intervals are not rolling like those in the ocean or Great Lakes and they can come over the bow, stern, or gunwales of many boats. A lot of the people reading this thread may be from distant points geographically, and could easily think from reading the comments that there is nothing to fear in these lakes; and nothing would be further from the truth. It is easy to be lulled into thinking during somewhat "normal" conditions that these waters are relatively tame, but just once have the wind come up to 45 mph or more while out there, and have your main engine die, and the kicker not be able to go against the wind to get you to safety; and your opinion could quickly change. I had that happen on Seneca during a derby in 2013 in my "ocean capable" 18 1/2 ft. Boston Whaler and my 40 lbs of anchor wouldn't even hold in shallow water and the boat was headed for Watkins Glen (from nearly mid-way in the lake). Luckily, my good buddy was able to tow me about 14 miles back to the launch. I have also lost firends to Seneca one of whom was a charter captain. The Finger Lakes are no joke. Mother Nature is VERY fickle, and nobody should believe that they shouldn't be concerned about safety out there especially when unanticipated things happen. You can never be "over-prepared" out there, or take things for granted....it could cost you your life. I treat the Fingers the same as Lake Ontario or the ocean and have a great respect for each.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

My rule of thumb is if you feel unnerved in whatever condition you are in it's not worth it regardless if lake size OR boat size! Fishing should be relaxing and comfortable and if it's not pick a different day. Last night I had a father son walleye casting trip I postponed till tonight because of wind and rain, but I would definitely have fished it alone and been relaxed and comfortable...just not with a ten year old. Whoever is the operator of the vessel damn well should be making good safe smart decisions and not worrying about foolish pride or what other boats do...be safe!

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I work out of town 9 months out of the year. I get 1 day off a week I don’t get to pick and choose the best weather to go I go when I can and today the water was pretty rough and fortunately we came out with about 50 perch between 9-12  inches not 1 pickeral I was amazed. My son had a awesome time and that’s what  matters most. He was asleep 10 minutes after we left.

22 hours ago, Sk8man said:

bulletbob - I have to say that after 60 years of fishing the Finger Lakes from a boat I strongly disagree with the thesis that Cayuga or Seneca, or in some cases even  the smaller Finger Lakes aren't much of a safety concern. The fact that the waves may not get as steep as those on the ocean, or even Lake Ontario for that matter can be very deceptive because the wave intervals are not rolling like those in the ocean or Great Lakes and they can come over the bow, stern, or gunwales of many boats. A lot of the people reading this thread may be from distant points geographically, and could easily think from reading the comments that there is nothing to fear in these lakes; and nothing would be further from the truth. It is easy to be lulled into thinking during somewhat "normal" conditions that these waters are relatively tame, but just once have the wind come up to 45 mph or more while out there, and have your main engine die, and the kicker not be able to go against the wind to get you to safety; and your opinion could quickly change. I had that happen on Seneca during a derby in 2013 in my "ocean capable" 18 1/2 ft. Boston Whaler and my 40 lbs of anchor wouldn't even hold in shallow water and the boat was headed for Watkins Glen (from nearly mid-way in the lake). Luckily, my good buddy was able to tow me about 14 miles back to the launch. I have also lost firends to Seneca one of whom was a charter captain. The Finger Lakes are no joke. Mother Nature is VERY fickle, and nobody should believe that they shouldn't be concerned about safety out there especially when unanticipated things happen. You can never be "over-prepared" out there, or take things for granted....it could cost you your life. I treat the Fingers the same as Lake Ontario or the ocean and have a great respect for each.

Understood, and I won't argue, but although the interval is faster on the finger lakes, there are  no  NO  steep "rollers", no deep troughs, and NO hard  running tide against  heavy wind.. these are the things that  typically sink boats, not a short windy chop with  that gets you wet and uncomfortable.. There are certainly conditions on seneca and cayuga that should rule out any  fishing of course, but as far as "life threatening?, especially in a well built 19 footer??.. Personally i have yet to see it.. I have seen it many times in salt water bays and the ocean.. Even 100 foot head boats stay in port at those times..
 There are a LOT of days, I wouldn't go out on any of the fingers, even in 25 footer, but not because it was too dangerous, and that I might not live through the day, it would simply be the fact that it would be uncomfortable, and the fishing would suck anyway..  The shallow fast  white caps in the fingers won't sink many  well designed boats, but those big standing rollers in the Great lakes and the oceans sink plenty.. safety first always of course, there we agree.... bob

1 hour ago, bulletbob said:

Understood, and I won't argue, but although the interval is faster on the finger lakes, there are  no  NO  steep "rollers", no deep troughs, and NO hard  running tide against  heavy wind.. these are the things that  typically sink boats, not a short windy chop with  that gets you wet and uncomfortable.. There are certainly conditions on seneca and cayuga that should rule out any  fishing of course, but as far as "life threatening?, especially in a well built 19 footer??.. Personally i have yet to see it.. I have seen it many times in salt water bays and the ocean.. Even 100 foot head boats stay in port at those times..
 There are a LOT of days, I wouldn't go out on any of the fingers, even in 25 footer, but not because it was too dangerous, and that I might not live through the day, it would simply be the fact that it would be uncomfortable, and the fishing would suck anyway..  The shallow fast  white caps in the fingers won't sink many  well designed boats, but those big standing rollers in the Great lakes and the oceans sink plenty.. safety first always of course, there we agree.... bob

Im in agreement with Sk8man on this one, ive been on Kinzua in a 21 foot boat fishing up at sugar bay, itds a long run from red bridge. fished all morning in sugar when we were done fishing and headed back the wind was blowing north at about 40 mph, I would have never believed that Kinzua  could get that ruff!! the waves wear stacked about 10 feet apart and all were rolling over each other. ive never been so scared in my live!!!!  Ive never seen anything like it before or since. when we were fishing sugar bay we could hear the wind but there was just a chop on the water until we came out of the bay. it took us 3.5 hours to get back to wolf run and we got a ride to go het the truck and trailer..   my budge pump wouldn't keep up with the water coming in the boat when I got to wolf run the pump ran for 15 minutes before it had the boat pumped out..