Another 20% CUT in Chinook Stocking for 2019

Tall Tails

31 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Do you feel the public should be the ones footing the bill and effort for said projects

Donations were asked for like many charities will do.  Most businesses and local governments realize what a great local fishery does for thier businesses, tax bases, tourism and good press.  So they choose to support the project.  But understand the donations are asked for.  I see nothing wrong in seeking financial support from the community.  It’s asked for not demanded.

3 hours ago, pvelyk said:

Donations were asked for like many charities will do.  Most businesses and local governments realize what a great local fishery does for thier businesses, tax bases, tourism and good press.  So they choose to support the project.  But understand the donations are asked for.  I see nothing wrong in seeking financial support from the community.  It’s asked for not demanded.

Not what I'm saying... I'm saying that seems like private people have to give up their time and money for something that should be run by the state

I disagree. Nobody HAS to give up their time. It's a pleasure to be able to help either physically or financially with something that improves our fishery.

I understand where you're coming from though. Who volunteers their time to fix potholes for example? But there are things that go above and beyond what we can reasonably expect from our government, and pen-rearing, which is very labor intensive and on-site at many different locations for a short period of time, falls squarely into that category. When it comes to tax dollars, it's all about cost-benefit. Not enough people benefit from pen-rearing to support what it would cost if DEC took the reins. So the stakeholders pitch in.

I truly believe that it's a stellar system, an example of us at our best.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

I disagree. Nobody HAS to give up their time. It's a pleasure to be able to help either physically or financially with something that improves our fishery. I understand where you're coming from. Who volunteers their time to fix potholes for example? But there are things that go above and beyond what we can reasonably expect from our government, and pen-rearing, which is very labor intensive and on-site at many different locations for a short period of time, falls squarely into that category. When it comes to tax dollars, it's all about cost-benefit. Not enough people benefit from pen-rearing to support what it would cost if DEC took the reins. So the stakeholders pitch in.

I truly believe that it's a stellar system, an example of us at our best.
Right on!
If the DEC would allow volunteers to net kings for the egg take, I'd be the first in line. We do the pens out of respect for the fishery.

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have no problem volunteering.  It makes me feel like, we the fisherman have some small bit in control of our fishery.  Especially right now when cuts are occurring and it appears our input counts for very little.  Plus we treat each of those fish like gold because its our fish, for our port.  Nothing against the DEC workers, but its a job and one of a million fish, not sure they are as invested in each of the fish as we are.  

• Thanks 1

I volunteered to feed in Rochester some years ago.  I went down to Shumway with my daughter for my first assigned shift, and everything was fine. When I got there for the second one, someone else had already done the feeding.  Very disappointed young lady.  This was right after they started using premeasured bags of food.  Tried a third time, already fed again, tried to call coordinator, no return call.  Then the fish went in,  not informed until afterward.  I tried to sign up the next year, no calls returned. Lately, with Sam running  it, my understanding is that things are running more smoothly, but to really get the volunteers, more lead time is necessary, and a central coordination point for each pen would be better than, “ Hey, we need help this Saturday AM at Sandy Creek” on Thursday afternoon, in a post on LOU.  Maybe two months out, start a sign-up roster with phone and e-mail, and then send an e-mail with tentative schedule, so that people can try to hold time.  And also realize that some of us volunteer at other places, too, I’m doing a lot of time at a second hand clothing ministry on Saturdays, when it is hard to get volunteers, and with most folks working,  Saturday is generally the bullwork days on the pens  as well.  I’ve also put in considerable time on tree planting in the Genesee Watershed the last few years and that goes on, usually on Saturdays, during the same timeframe.  Finally, when you want strong backs, you are looking for younger people,, and they seem to be the rarest ones in any volunteer pool lately.

I will address your post Lucky... First off.... I can only answer for the Genny project... The DEC tells us when the fish are being delivered.. We usually only get a few days to a week notice. We cannot put tbe pens in several days or weeks earlier due to the collection of debris, plus in the spring we get current and water height fluctuations so risking destroying the pens before the fish go in isn't an option. Plus the Genny crew needs to coordinate with Skip Shumway when he is available....

The past 5 or 6 years the pens are put in the water on weekdays in the evening after 1630hrs... Most of us are busy with trips on the weekends, so that's why it's done that way....

Pretty much standard operating the past few years.... Notifications via Emails, posts on Social Media like here and Facebook...

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

And I'll speak up for Sandy. Rob sends out an email about putting pens together and getting them in place many weeks before hand. We end up with a lot of volunteers. It's awesome to see. Rob has the program running almost flawlessly.

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 1

But the complaints have been about lack of new blood, and tributary anglers, and if it is only notice by e-mail, only those already connected get notice.  I saw things here last year but they were short notice, and I was already committed on the days announced.  I am also not really likely to get out to Sandy as I can be in Sodus in less time from where I live, and Sandy is an extremely limited tributary in terms of public access.

But the complaints have been about lack of new blood, and tributary anglers, and if it is only notice by e-mail, only those already connected get notice.  I saw things here last year but they were short notice, and I was already committed on the days announced.  I am also not really likely to get out to Sandy as I can be in Sodus in less time from where I live, and Sandy is an extremely limited tributary in terms of public access.
The "public" has access and is in there snagging and lifting all the time now through May.

Silverfoxcharters.net

There is about 1 mile of public access to the stream, of about 17 miles of stream.  And not everyone is snagging and lifting, anymore than all the trollers have been "power trolling" j-plugs for the last 2 months.

With this elitist attitude, this only causes more issues between lake guys and trib guys. This is an attitude I do not want anywhere near the Sandy Creek project. These projects are about what is best for the fishery not what’s the best for ME. The lake fishery at Sandy does not benefit from the pen rearing of Domestic rainbows but we still do them at our project because we know it is what is best for the entire fishery. Domestic rainbows are not caught often by us. If you spent anytime on the lake, you would know that there is no pier head fishery at Sandy Creek and no one power trolls j-plugs like they did in the the 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The elitism got pitched at me before I pitched any back.  Domestic rainbows are not often caught by anyone far up a tributary either, as they generally spawn close to the lake.  According to DEC, they are Lake stocked as well.  This is the first I have ever heard of Randolph fish going into the pens.  Do they truck from two hatcheries on the same day, or do you have to take delivery on separate days?  A separate pen for the domestics, and another for the Chambers Creek fish from Altmar? 

If Sam  needs bodies, I am sure I'll find plenty to do in Rochester.  Just pointing out that it is hard to complain about a lack of volunteers if only certain people (definition of an elite) hear about it.

The info is on LOU, it is also on the DEC website. Those who care don’t make excuses, they do research and show up. You do not hear complaints from the Sandy project. We get a big group of guys that are willing to give their time no matter what. I find it interesting that you do not think rainbows go far up stream. Take a ride to Holley this November and see how many rainbows are in the creek way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Based on the SOL reports, no domestics go in the pens at Hamlin or Sandy, and the last time Washington Strain fish, which also run in the fall, were pen raised in Sandy (although the 2018 data is not available yet) was 2014.  Sometimes when I attempt to do my research I only get partial information returned, so I am limited to the sources out there in print.  But glad to hear you have a strong group, and don't need any additional help, and thanks for the efforts. 

And thanks for the tip for later fall!

Thanks Gator for your technical explanation of your view on the aclimatation of LO kings over the last 40 years . Kind of confirmed my suspicion . You sound like a brainiac. 

Volunteerism is low in all groups / organizations. 10% of the members usually do 90% of the work . And it's,usually me doing it . I can't sit around and watch . 

Money should be no problem at all . If everyone gives a little, it can total a lot . 

No domestic rainbows in upper Sandy? 

I have lived in Holley for almost 60 years and you don't know what you're talking about . 

And I troll j plugs almost exclusively after labor day for many years . I do pretty well on them and have NEVER Snagged a salmon .

And yes ,there are guys pier heading and trolling staggers off Sandy . 

Also last year I launched my small boat 2 days after we released the fish at Sandy . 

There were a bunch of cormerants having breakfast on all the little ones you could see swimming around . I imagine the smallmouth bass were well fed also .