Cayuga 9/30

lily

Slow. Stayed north today fished out front of deans cove from about 11 am until about 3. We caught 3 fish. All fish came on flasher fly combos color white was the ticket. Marked a ton of fish suspended between 30 and 90 ft of water over depths as deep as 250 ft. Not a seller day but had a good day. Today was the first trip with my new to me boat. So spent a lot of time learning things about the boat. Will have the boat in the water until last week of hollowed so hopefully will get some more time in in the next few weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We launched out of Treman Sunday probably around 11am. Inlet was a mudpuddle. Headed over to east side by the drop off and started to set up.  Just got a couple boards out and riggers down and got weeded up. This year weeds have been our plague. So we pulled our lines and headed across lake to west side. Set up area of Yacht club cleaner water and cleaner screen.Ran 2 leadcores 4 dipseys 2 riggers. 1st fish was a good one it broke the snubber on the dipsey 2nd time thats happened this year. Next fish pulled a knot in 40lb test ande I think thats my mistake it happened several times this year since I changed to 40lb test ande line.Ive got to find a better knot or go back to 30 lb test.  Lead cores with a mix of spoons were silent. The divers with a mix of spoons and paddles were silent except for one hit. Caught a couple lakers off the riggers down around 100ft on cowbells.Trolled probably 1/4 mile past tounganock  . Not a skunk but Cayuga has us so spoiled . Regular colors.

Fishstix - I too use the clinch knot and have used it with both 40 and 50 lb test mono (Big Game). I always do 7 wraps and then wet the line and continue cinching it up until completely tight no problems ever.

Edited by Sk8man

40 lb, Ande is very hard and stiff, and doesn't dig in to itself real well, and yes knots with it can slip.. I lost a lot of  strong  salt water  fish with hard durable mono lines, especially Ande due to pulled knots.. You might have better luck with a Palomar knot with that Ande.. line... Many fishermen don't realize that light mono knots  might break but rarely pull... Heavy stiff mono knots rarely  break at the knot, but I  have seen a LOT of them pull out  with a heavy strong fish... Improved Clinch knots are the main culprit for pulling out... Palomar won't pull out, at least never have for me.. bob

We are not using the palomar knot to join lines.  Use it for hooks, swivels, snaps, etc. There are much better knots to join two lines.

Edited by stinger

Palomar for all lures and swivels... double uni for joining all lead core to mono or fluorocarbon, haywire twist for heavy wire and a simple loop for joining all wire on dipsys... have never lost a knot...

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Hey Brian the back of the boat is starting to look like either an office or a tackle shop:lol:

Edited by Sk8man