for sale : usa Johnson 28 SPL outboard motor --$300

Probably early-mid  90's.. Its dark blue and thats when they used that color.. Motor runs strong, but has some issues, and should be bought by someone that can set up and repair  fuel issues on 2 stroke outboards,,

Water pump was replaced  and the engine probably has less than 10 hours use since  it was replaced.. It  pumps lots of water, and NEVER overheats.. Lower end  oil is clean.. NO leaks..
 engine runs strong  at cruising and high speed, and has good compression, at about 120 psi each cylinder last time I checked..

It sneezes a lot at low speed, and idles a bit rough at times, not always, but  doesn't stall after its warm..  At one point I was having trouble with no starts, and the engine cutting out ..
 Found a bad primer bulb/hoses that was losing prime, and then the bulb wouldn't even  pull the gas out of the tank... Put a different[ used] hose/bulb on and that problem was resolved.

Had it out last week for a day fishing at skaneateles  and had no problems, other than it cutting out one time at full throttle, but  it started back  up instantly, and ran fine afterwards.. Have NOT checked filter or  fuel pump...

The low speed issues need to be  taken care of, and it may have a fuel pump getting weak, not sure, but it typically starts and runs strong at cruise and above...
 I think a carb rebuild, link/sync, and possibly  a fuel pump or  NEW hose/bulb might take care of the intermittent issues..

The  Johnson  controls are included, but  both cables are shot, and need to be replaced,another reason I am selling it cheap.. Control itself is fine, just needs cables.
 We can take it out and water test any time in the Susquehanna River...

.It   is not a bolt on the transom, worry free motor at this point, but I typically use it as is, and it gets me  up and down the lake,,, Fast!..
 Its just that its not 100 % reliable  and worry free until the low speed issues are worked out,,  and  I  had planned on  getting something smaller anyway, such as a 15 or 20 HP if I can find one..
 First $300 firm  takes it away..bob