FYI apparently Emperor Cuomo is at it again...

Sk8man

I don't know, I think that the discussion on this thread is reasonable relative to some of the name-calling I've seen. Heck, it even sounds like a "purple" fishing date is in the making. I love arguments that are intended to build consensus or that end in agreeing to disagree. I hate arguments where the loudest person wins. It's one thing to try to convince someone else that your point of view is correct, and it's another entirely to impose your will on them. There's too much of the later in America today. We forget that we're all on the same team.

• Like 1

I just received this email from a buddy and figured it coordinates with my initial post. I do not know the exact origin of it and it was from 2014 but the content appears "familiar" and has some things in it off potential concern right now.

Date: November 7, 2018 at 3:33:08 PM 
Subject: I think you all better take this serious.

Now that the elections are over and Cuomo is in as is all the other ALBANY DEMOCRATS, and worst of all, we lost the NY STATE GOP SENATE MAJORITY, there is nothing to stop all the submitted gun laws and SAFE ACT 2 from ALL BECOMING LAWS of the NEW YORK LAND.

Thus, start thinking of what your next moves will be.

good luck, it's going to be UGLY.

Maybe some of those NY gun owners that have no problem with the current Safe Act will wake up.

Cuomo To Sign SAFE ACT 2 Into Law If He Gets Reelected

time-to-fight-260x170.jpg

If Governor Cuomo is reelected the framework is all ready in place for passage of SAFE ACT 2.  While the Cuomo administration is hesitant to refer to it under that name during an election cycle, it will still be one of the first things he does upon his new term even if he has to manipulate the legislative process again in order to ram it through.
Here are the 10 key points of SAFE ACT 2 that will punish law abiding citizens, legal businesses and in general diminish the sparse amount of liberty that remains in the increasingly appropriate named “Empire State”.  My commentary italicized.
1. Safe Storage – Requires that weapons be stored with a safety locking device or in a safe storage depository when left outside the immediate possession or control of the owner or other lawful possessor.  Failure to do so will result in a Class A misdemeanor.  This includes houses without children and as such only serves to delay the ability to defend yourself against home invaders.
2. Microstamping – Requires all semiautomatic pistols manufactured or delivered to any licensed dealer in NYS to be capable of producing a unique alpha-numeric or geometric code on at least two locations on each cartridge case expended from such pistol.  Class D felony if you “willfully” deface microstamping component. The problems with this are many.  First the technology is not practical (read: it doesn’t work) and as such this is akin to requiring firearms to shoot pixie dust, since it can’t it would make all guns illegal.  Secondly, like most gun control measures, criminals who are using guns to commit felonies are just going to ignore this.  Thirdly the cost of retrofitting all the guns in New York would unfairly fall on the citizen.  Finally, even if the technology WAS viable, and criminals DID follow it, all they would have to do is use a revolver and make sure to destroy the shells later.
3. Fifty Caliber Ban – Bans the possession, sale or transfer of 50-Caliber or larger weapons.  Permits grandfathering so long as they are then registered, a repeat of the Assault Weapson Ban from SAFE ACT 1.
4. Gun Dealer Insurance – Requires the imposition of restrictive business practices, recordkeeping and reporting for lawful gun dealers including requiring that every dealer carry insurance coverage against liability (at least $1 million per incident) for damage to property and for injury or death of any person resulting from the sale, delivery, lease, or transfer of a firearm, rifle or shotgun.  On top of being a ridiculous punitive measure against firearm businesses, the costs will ultimately fall on the law abiding consumer.
5. Prohibits the sale or transfer in NY of guns that are not child proof – Prohibits the sale or transfer of a “child operated firearm” to another person.  Defines “child operated firearm” as a pistol or revolver which does not contain a childproofing device, which would prevent an average five-year-old from operating it. This one is so amorphous that is shouldn’t even be considered law.  No doubt gun controllers would use a 5 year old prodigy that could unravel the Gordian Knot.
6. 30 Day Limit on Gun Purchases –  – Prohibits a person from purchasing more than one firearm from a dealer within a 30-day- period.  Prohibits a dealer from selling or transferring a firearm to a person who has purchased or taken possession of a firearm within the previous 30 days.  Requires dealers to request approval for sale from the Division of Criminal Justice Services.  Class A misdemeanor.  Why can’t I exercise my right as freely as I desire?  This is like saying one can only pray on Sundays, or limiting the number of newspapers a person can read in a day.  On top of the civil rights violations, the added logjam for businesses will slow commerce, raise prices and once again the law abiding consumer is left footing the bill.
7. 10 Day Waiting Period on Gun PurchasesProhibits a person from taking possession of any firearm from a dealer unless 10 days have elapsed from the date the dealer initiated the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) background check of the purchaser and has received notice that the purchaser has passed all background checks required by federal, state and local law.  Violators would be subject to class A misdemeanor. For victims of violent rape and murders who could have used a gun to stop their attacker, I doubt they appreciate the 10 days that cost them their lives.  This notion of a “cooling off” period is more gun controller tripe used to engender fear in the populace that there is a run on gun shops by angry mobs looking to shoot someone down.  It just isn’t true.
8.Ammunition CodingRequires every manufacturer to code any ammunition for handguns and assault weapons. “Coded ammunition” means a bullet carrying a unique identifier that has been applied by etching onto the base of the bullet projectile.  Most bullet makers aren’t going to make special New York bullets so the availability of ammuntion in the Empire State will decrease dramatically.  But hey, that’s pretty much the goal gun controllers are aiming for.
9. Mandatory Insurance For Gun Owners – Require persons owning a firearm (not defined in the bill), prior to ownership or within 30 days of enactment for current owners, to obtain a liability insurance policy with a limit of at least $250,000.   Failure to do so would result in the immediate revocation of the firearm owner’s registration, license and any other privilege to own a firearm.  Just look at the wording, PRIVILEGE.  That’s what gun controllers think that the right to keep and bear arms is…a privilege.  It’s not.  It’s a RIGHT.  And there is no voter insurance, because if there was a lot of Obama voters would owe me money. 
10. Reduces Pistol Permits from 5 years to 2 yearsRequires that all pistol permit licenses expire every two years. Note, pistol permits in New York were LIFETIME before the first SAFE ACT.  The Act made it 5 years and SAFE ACT 2 is looking to make it 2 years.  This is a money making scheme aimed to cash in while stripping the rights of the citizens.  A pro gun sheriff might retire and a gun control sheriff might take his place, in that case, when people pay the non refundable fee to renew their permit they can simply be told no.  It gives the state more opportunity to deny rights to its citizens while still making a fast buck.
There are some other points, expanding on penalties of SAFE ACT 1 and broadening terms therein but this is the meat and potatoes of what a Cuomo reelection will look like for the citizens of New York.  Apparently, SAFE Act 1 was only the prologue and SAFE Act 2 will be the further advancement of the radical gun control ideology that Gov Cuomo holds so dear.
To allow Gov. Cuomo to be reelected will be an injustice of the highest order.  But it is not only an injustice to New Yorkers but for all gun owners and those who believe in liberty in America.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
It is for this reason that, even though I am a Pennsylvanian,  I am taking a personal interest in supporting the man who has vowed to repeal the SAFE Act, not expand upon it.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:13 PM, katydid said:

Yeah...they’re coming for your guns.....watch out, !  Aauugh!

Yeah well take a look at numbers 8 and 9 on Safe Act 2 and try to tell us it's not a gun grab.

It may be something propelled by social media Ben but make no mistake many perhaps well intentioned but greatly misguided. illogical, legislators having virtually no actual firearms knowledge are formulating restrictions based entirely on emotion;not educated informed knowledge of firearms per se. The idea of firearms control in this country in and of itself is illogical given the sheer number of guns out there already and the fact that the crimes involved committed by unstable and/or criminal elements of our society do not pay any attention to laws or social norms. The problems of violence and crimes in this country is much more complex than trying to control legitimate gun owners rights and the people formulating laws seem incapable of understanding the actual narure and complexity of the problem so they default to giving the appearance of "doing something" regardless of the fact that the things they come up with make no sense. Mental illness and criminal activity are at the actual roots of the problem but they seem much beyond the scope of the legislative process to deal with. Social media merely exascerbates the emotional argument from both sides. Cuomo seizees every opportunity to further his own political ambitions and this leads to further emotional turbulance on both sides of the isssue and further clouds any potential progress toward reasonable solutions.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

"Mental illness and criminal activity are at the actual roots of the problem but they seem much beyond the scope of the legislative process to deal with."         Billions in tax cuts to the top 1% (83% of funds)............half our budget building more aircraft carriers.....upgrading the military.   How much has Trump spent for mental illness problems? You DO notice how many ex-military men are involved in mass shootings.?  They send you to machine gun people down, and ignore you when you come back. Take care of our Veterans!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

It may be something propelled by social media Ben but make no mistake many perhaps well intentioned but greatly misguided. illogical, legislators having virtually no actual firearms knowledge are formulating restrictions based entirely on emotion;not educated informed knowledge of firearms per se. The idea of firearms control in this country in and of itself is illogical given the sheer number of guns out there already and the fact that the crimes involved committed by unstable and/or criminal elements of our society do not pay any attention to laws or social norms. The problems of violence and crimes in this country is much more complex than trying to control legitimate gun owners rights and the people formulating laws seem incapable of understanding the actual narure and complexity of the problem so they default to giving the appearance of "doing something" regardless of the fact that the things they come up with make no sense. Mental illness and criminal activity are at the actual roots of the problem but they seem much beyond the scope of the legislative process to deal with. Social media merely exascerbates the emotional argument from both sides. Cuomo seizees every opportunity to further his own political ambitions and this leads to further emotional turbulance on both sides of the isssue and further clouds any potential progress toward reasonable solutions.

On that mental health solution

http://fortune.com/2018/02/15/trump-shooting-mental-illness/

I'm not defending Trump or the NRA or the positions of extreme gun advocates for that matter. I worked as a mental health professional for more than 30 years and am a Vietnam Era veteran. Being a veteran does not necessarily predispose someone to gun violence, but in some cases the things experienced by some vets  may create mental instability, and it is well known that many of these problems are missed, and not properly followed up on or effectively dealt with in our society in general, or by the military in particular. The reporting process in this issue is unreliable, inconsistently applied or not forwarded to other relevant agencies, is sometimes non-existant, and definitely flawed and discontinuous in many cases. Our democratic society with Freedom of Speech, Second Ammendment Rights, and the heavy emphasis on Free Will and Freedom of Expression, and States Rights carries with it  significant problems in the area of societal control as well as the many positives, and the consistent monitoring and intervention of various authorities is complicated and  based on often solitary or questionable incomplete facts or acts. In other words, as soon as someone does something that others perceive to be problematic, perhaps bizarre, or even potentially dangerous the hands of many agencies are tied by existing Constitutional considerations, combined with inadequate processes and facilities, and/or budgets with which to deal with the problems. In New York State for example, the previous mental health facilities complete with monitoring and oversight functions regarding "patients" either on an inpatient or outpatient basis have been disbanded without replacement processes being in place over many years. There are many people out there without such necessary treatment, medications, follow-up or monitoring, and it is nearly impossible to get people into existing treatment situations or facilities; especially against their will. Much of this relates to previous abuses of power exerted against individual freedoms by bureaucracy, Constitutional issues are highly involved, and most of all budgetary and financial considerations. Some previous decisions by our government has put money before people in a short sighted way and we are left with the societal problems which now are more complicated by many things (opioid crisis only one recent example) as well as much more expensive to try to fix. At present we as a society don't seem to have any competent mechanism to cope with this mess; especially as long as the government puts building expensive bridges and naming them after their father instead of focusing on the real problems confronting us. Can you tell I've had 3 cups of coffee today?:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Sk8man, I would love to sit down over a pot of coffee and shoot the sh*t with you. But I'm just another uneducated dinosaur that clings to my guns, religion, and freedom. Semper Fi

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Heck yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app