FYI apparently Emperor Cuomo is at it again...

Sk8man

What I do not like about gun ownership in the USA is the lack of sensible safety measures. Where I come from (Israel) we had a system where every gun owner would have to come to a shooting range once a year. We had a refresher on all the safety rules and then we had to practice our skills. Before firing a single shot the instructor inspected every single gun brought to the range for cleanliness and proper working order. Then we had to fire at least 12 bullets to make sure that we still knew what to do. At the end of this short course the gun permits were renewed by the instructor. If you did not participate in these classes your gun permit would be revoked and your gun would be confiscated. In order to get it back you would have to go through the new gun owners course which was much longer than the refresher. This system is based on the army setup where every person coming up for reserve duty has to be reacquainted with the weapons they are supposed to use. 

Edited by rolmops

I'm not defending Trump or the NRA or the positions of extreme gun advocates for that matter. I worked as a mental health professional for more than 30 years and am a Vietnam Era veteran. Being a veteran does not necessarily predispose someone to gun violence, but in some cases the things experienced by some vets  may create mental instability, and it is well known that many of these problems are missed, and not properly followed up on or effectively dealt with in our society in general, or by the military in particular. The reporting process in this issue is unreliable, inconsistently applied or not forwarded to other relevant agencies, is sometimes non-existant, and definitely flawed and discontinuous in many cases. Our democratic society with Freedom of Speech, Second Ammendment Rights, and the heavy emphasis on Free Will and Freedom of Expression, and States Rights carries with it  significant problems in the area of societal control as well as the many positives, and the consistent monitoring and intervention of various authorities is complicated and  based on often solitary or questionable incomplete facts or acts. In other words, as soon as someone does something that others perceive to be problematic, perhaps bizarre, or even potentially dangerous the hands of many agencies are tied by existing Constitutional considerations, combined with inadequate processes and facilities, and/or budgets with which to deal with the problems. In New York State for example, the previous mental health facilities complete with monitoring and oversight functions regarding "patients" either on an inpatient or outpatient basis have been disbanded without replacement processes being in place over many years. There are many people out there without such necessary treatment, medications, follow-up or monitoring, and it is nearly impossible to get people into existing treatment situations or facilities; especially against their will. Much of this relates to previous abuses of power exerted against individual freedoms by bureaucracy, Constitutional issues are highly involved, and most of all budgetary and financial considerations. Some previous decisions by our government has put money before people in a short sighted way and we are left with the societal problems which now are more complicated by many things (opioid crisis only one recent example) as well as much more expensive to try to fix. At present we as a society don't seem to have any competent mechanism to cope with this mess; especially as long as the government puts building expensive bridges and naming them after their father instead of focusing on the real problems confronting us. Can you tell I've had 3 cups of coffee today?default_emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

I too am a Viet Nam vet. Nam went on for many years. Longer than most people realize. The term “PTSD “ originated in the years we were involved in the Nam . Previously it was shell shock or battle fatigue The point I am trying to make is that I can’t remember mass shootings in the 60 ‘ s or 70’s. Something has changed in our society It has nothing to do with gun ownership. When I was in school many cars and trucks had shotguns and rifles on board to go hunting after school I don’t pretend to have the answer. But blaming vets and guns is not the answer. Of that I’m sure

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I can't take it, when are you going to relize the system has been f#/&%d for alot longer than Trump. Sometimes you have to tare it down before you can fix it. It's a sacrifice for all. Never tell a soldier he doesn't understand sacrifice. This social media sand box crap is ruining people. You want to learn something, then sit down face to face and ask. You don't have to agree but you'll gain respect.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

I too am a Viet Nam vet. Nam went on for many years. Longer than most people realize. The term “PTSD “ originated in the years we were involved in the Nam . Previously it was shell shock or battle fatigue The point I am trying to make is that I can’t remember mass shootings in the 60 ‘ s or 70’s. Something has changed in our society It has nothing to do with gun ownership. When I was in school many cars and trucks had shotguns and rifles on board to go hunting after school I don’t pretend to have the answer. But blaming vets and guns is not the answer. Of that I’m sure

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Absolutely Chinook!! As a young guy we took our guns on the school bus, never ammo and guns we knew better it never happened. Our gym class was announced over the intercom, all those participating in the hunting class report to the gym. The school was close to farm fields that the game commission stocked pheasants, us guys and some girls went hunting the rest of the day. Guns went home via bus or buddy or parents. The term I used is the key to all of this "We knew better" our era was the last to have parents we respected!! Did I get a spanking?? You bet your bottom dollar. How many of us got taken home via the State police for driving gassed as we called it. Well my brother and I, our biggest fear that night was going to be dad in the door way. YES the cop gave us the full deal in the driveway lights sirens action. OOH Boy we are in deep shyt. We are the last!!

• Like 1