Great fishing?

The pic at the left of your post sure looks like a salmon although no way of telling where caught or by whom:smile: Both lake Erie and Lake Ontario truly are great fisheries depending on the species sought after and area you fish. You may want to connect up with someone on here in the specific area you fish on those lakes. Most folks are receptive to PM's with some specifics whereas they may be reluctant to post them pubiically for many reasons (and most of them good ones). Another route is to get a couple like minded guys together and go on a charter specifically for the species and body of water and ask beforehand if they will be receptive to treating it as a "training' session. There are some great knowledgeable charter guys on this site as well as many highly experienced sports fisherpersons and if approached respectfully through PM's they may offer some valuable insights when enough detail is included in your questions. Keep at it, don't give up, experiment, and pay close attention to detail. best general advice I can offer without details:smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

You should also look into attending some salmon seminars (if salmon is what you're talking about), most are done over the winter and can be very helpful. Most of the guys running these are highly experience captains who will gladly answer any questions you have during or after the seminar. I have also had excellent luck on LOU as well, I found answers to just about anything I wanted to know here or PM'd someone who was more than willing to answer it for me. Truly a great community here!

Don't forget that you read/hear all the good reports, you don't hear about the bad days people have. We have all gone out and not done well at some point, we just don't talk about it!

Edited by FishingFool34
  • Like 2

Some good advice above........There has been a fishing expo in Niagara Falls that I have attended for 2 years. It will probably be put on again this year (usually in winter)...... there are seminars there to teach the basics about any species you want to target. A good plan would be to attend the expo, hit the seminars that interest you, and then hire a charter to teach you some specific "ropes" for the species you really want to learn first. The seminar will give you some background knowledge so that when you get on the lake with the charter captain, you won't be overwhelmed with info. 

• Like 2

It isn't only the length and width of the boat that matters...the hull design is crucial (e..g. deep V vs. tri-hull etc.) and the experience of the operator with that particular boat who is fully aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the boat, and experienced with the conditions of Lake O. Sometimes even when picking a promising day weather changes can and do occur very frequently and rapidly out there. It is absolutely necessary to coinsult multiple weather stations (e.g. NOAA, Weatherunderground, Weather.com, and the weather stations on your VHF radio) . If you check the buoy information on the Internet you can usually double the reported value and be close to the existing conditions. The Great Lakes are exactly that....great...but always maintain a healthy respect for them regardless of the current weather because Mother Nature is very fickle and unforgiving of boaters mistakes. Carefully pick your days and weather conditions just as the guys above said but also pay close attention to your intuition and don't ever "over-ride " it and take chances.

Edited by Sk8man

All the suggestions above are spot on. You obviously are marking them as indicated by your post asking " what are these ? "  I would save up my money and take a couple charters to see what the Pro's are doing differently. Just owning a boat and going out on the water does not make a succsefull angler. With a smaller boat I would try to master the upper and lower Niagara. There is always calm water to be found there,

We are lucky to have the fisheries we do here, even just the two great lakes. Me personally, I'm a rookie on them both. I spent ALOT of time reading, watching, asking and listening, and still have novels of info to learn. I don't want to boast or sound like a know it all, but this past year was the first full season with my boat. I can honestly say that I had a fantastic year ! Caught hundreds of kings, browns, walleyes, steelies and even tagged a musky in the boat harbor. Persistence. Ask questions here, but do your part in research prior. I'm certain there's prob a few tips out there that will turn your catch rate around. Don't let the boat slow you down. Plenty of calm days out there and plenty of fish to be caught in the skinny water. Take a charter, Google, YouTube, ask here, ask there. Stay with it and you will fill the boat with scales and slime.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

All the suggestions above are spot on. You obviously are marking them as indicated by your post asking " what are these ? "  I would save up my money and take a couple charters to see what the Pro's are doing differently. Just owning a boat and going out on the water does not make a succsefull angler. With a smaller boat I would try to master the upper and lower Niagara. There is always calm water to be found there,
Thank you so much. This is encouraging

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First of all welcome to the addiction. After I caught my first salmon and it peeled of well over a 100' of line I was hooked. The salmon school is one of the best things that you can do. There is a lot of info and it is worth the price of admission. This is the best forum for salmon fishing. Listen to what everyone is posting throughout the season. There are so many people who are willing to help a new guy out. So don't be afraid to ask any questions. I have only been trolling for salmon for a few years but the guys on here have shortened by learning curve a lot. I appreciate all the help by the way. Just remember that this is a hobby that will drive you nuts at time and sometimes keep you up at night wondering what am I doing wrong when everyone else is doing good. Just keep working at it and you will get there. I can tell you that the first time that you are in your own boat and kill it with all that you have learned it will be worth it. There will be days that you get skunked and then there will days that you cant keep lines in the water. Tight lines brother See you out there 

• Like 1

Great suggestions, there's always a learning curve. I don't have much experience on eastern Lake Ontario for salmon but the bass fishing is amazing. My experiences salmon & trout fishing is limited to the western end of the lake but the same techniques can be adapted for the eastern end. Best of luck!

Great suggestions, there's always a learning curve. I don't have much experience on eastern Lake Ontario for salmon but the bass fishing is amazing. My experiences salmon & trout fishing is limited to the western end of the lake but the same techniques can be adapted for the eastern end. Best of luck!
I put in at Olcott and ft Niagara. I live 17 miles from Buffalo

I

1 hour ago, back on eerie 2016 said:

I put in at Olcott and ft Niagara. I live 17 miles from Buffalo

I wish I lived that close. I have a 4 hour drive to get to Olcott.  I've found if you post questions you wont always get a direct answer to your question on the board, you will get a PM from some of the best fishermen in the country with the information you were looking for.  Please just pay it forward. I'm no expert by ant stretch of the definition buy I help out where and when I can. good luck and tight lines.