Shorelander trailer brakes

Fishstix

I just did the trailer brakes on my 2001 shorelander trailer. I thought I would pass along a little info I learned about them.

They were 4 wheel disk surge brakes . When they are right you can slide the trailer tires in  A panic stop.

The new rotors came painted . First thing I did was spray brake cleaner on them, didnt work, Then tried  to wirebrush the paint off. You DO NOT take the paint off  the rotors

you leave it on.  Something new to me.

Next time I do them I would probably drop the axles and do the brakes out from under the trailer .The cap bolts that hold the caliper are tight to the axle you need a allen wrench to get them out. It would be a lot easier with the U bolts out of the way.

Got my parts at local NAPA store. Had to order them in.

4 new seals ,4 bearing sets. 4 rotors , 2 calipers , 4 sets of shoes, tube of marine grease about $450 bucks.

There are several ways to bleed the brakes on the internet  I went old school,Two people, pry on tongue with 2x4 hold, open bleeder,repeat till air stops comming out.

Takes a day start to finish with regular hand tools....

how long did you get on them before needing to do the work you did?  Guess I'm just asking if they were original.  Also, what was your sign that it was time to deal with them?  I just bought a boat with a new dual axel shoreland'r only has brakes on the rear axle.  Trailer brakes are new for me so I took notice of your post and the paint thing (I'm going to look at what the rotors look like later today).  While I have time I know maintenance is coming eventually.   I wish I didn't have to deal with them but stopping is pretty important to me so....

They were the original brakes. The rotors were really scoured on the back axle. Back axle the pads were completely worn out metal on metal. Front axle probably had 1/8 inch of pad left.I changed the calipers on the back axle because the pistons had traveled so far I was afraid they may leak after they were pushed back.The wheel bearings were original I did not bother to clean them , just knocked out the races and installed new bearings.

You see a lot of boat trailers broke down along the road.hopefully mine wont be one of them...