what are your favorite lures to jig for panfish?

dremarquis

Hi all,

i am just beginning to jig for panfish. I don't like to go out of my way to bait stores, so i just want to stick with artificial lures.

I have caught a few on buckshot rattle spoons, but i'm curious what your favorite jigging lures are.

also, do you find it helpful to tip the jig with something with scent? if so, is there some kind of gulp-like soft plastic you use?

thanks!

andre

Gulp baits work pretty well.  Not as well as live bait, but pretty well.  The problem I find with bluegills in particular is they like to nip off the tails of the minnow baits and once the tails are nipped off they aren't nearly as good at attracting bites.  Go with the smaller baits.

If I am running jigs under a slip float, ice fishing jigs with bug bodies fished along weed lines work really well.

• 1 month later...

I  find its too much work to jig unless the fish are pretty stacked up... used to jig for them exclusively... However, in my experience, for every nice size panfish I catch with a small jig, I can catch 10 or more with a small  hook, small worm, and a split shot.. Not only that, but I catch a lot of big bass, bullheads etc as well..  Only place I no longer fish worms is on  cayuga,, the gobies are too fierce.. If you must jig I have always found very small Mister twisters or very small marabou jigs productive.. Small 1/16 or 1/32 marabou jig with a little piece  of earthworm is the best lure you can use for most any panfish, and  SMB hit them hard as well... bob. bob

Marmooska and Fiska tungstens, Mud Bugs both with either wax worms or spikes and/or tiny plastic "tails"

Edited by Sk8man

With any small jig, no matter what the design, [Tiny twister tails are as good as anything I have ever used, and they are cheap], a  little piece of earthworm  makes a huge difference.. Also if you have no worms, tiny slices of any panfish are just as good......bob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are open water fishing ,I have great luck with jigs under a small float just off bottom 

1/64 , 1/32 or 1/16 max head 

Plastic bodies of various types 

I like crappie magnet , jawbone to name a few . I constantly look for new bodies everywhere I go . Not a fan of twisters as the tail comes around and gets hooked ,but they work .tubes work well also . Anything 1 1/2 to 2". Natural to crazy colors . A drop of fish attracting works wonders so you don't need to tip, which I never do.  

Long rod ,8 to 11 ft . 6 or 8 # mainline , 6 or 4 # tippet .

I catch everything with this technique,especially when water is cold . I would think this method would shine on rock piers / shoreline like Oak Orchard .