Not real happy

hookedupf7

Guys I am looking for an opinion. I bought a new 19 ft starweld flex this summer. 35 g for a new boat. After a few trips out I noticed livewell leaking all over the floor and side wall started flexing, gas gauge quit working. Dealer had my boat for three weeks in summer and couldn’t get parts. I dropped it off 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything. They have to replace whole from livewell and floor all warranty. I have been very patient to this point. But I the more I think about this it disturbs me.Am I wrong in my thinking?

No, you have every right to be disappointed.
I know how it works with cars, not boats. If you bought it new this year I have to think you have some recourse. I’m going to do a little research and see if I can be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I too have a starweld 20. Overall I’m pleased with it. I wish I would have went fishmaster or at least starweld pro but for the most part I’m content. Only two things I dislike are the gunwalls are thin and had to be reinforced for riggers and tower. And the rear panel on the drivers side screws stripped and needed a backing board to secure it properly.  From the dealer I had a water leak that was actually from the Speedo line they never plugged properly. Something you might want to suggest. If you have the in dash mount lowrance it would have deleted the Speedo and if the line isn’t plugged off it spews water into the boat and the faster your run the more water comes in because the water pressure increase. If you got it from where I have a feeling you got it from I can def see some issues coming from the customer service end. Best of luck. Don’t give up on your rig. Mine fishes great just a few fit and finish issues. But I assume that’s why is 35-40k instead of 50-55k 

That’s awful. When you put up the money for new you expect a few years without any issues. I’d say a reputable dealer would give you every dime you have into this boat towards another one.

Do yourself the proper justice and call the number for warranty issues. I had a leftover 2015 Starweld 20Pro and had an issue that when on plane the boat would

list over due to prop torque and the dealer never heard of such issue so online here I went and found out that others were having same issue. Well the dealer was great even though they couldn’t fix it as warranty without putting trim tabs on it. They tried there damdist to help me but ended up giving me the number and made a call. Low and behold Starcraft was aware of the issue and sent me what they called a fix, 2-4” long pieces of 1” angle iron for me to mount myself. Needless to say I bought actual trim tabs and installed those instead. They mass produce these boats fast cause demand is high and I bet they missed something. Keep good with dealer and see if they can get you a number, I think you would get much further than an email. Good Luck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmc5028 said:

Well, If I can ever afford 35k on a boat, it wont be a Starweld

:yes: :yes: :yes:  My old and do mean old Sea Ray, I can say, maybe I shouldn’t put the cart before the horse,  that’s one thing I’m most impressed with is this is the most dry boat I’ve ever had, 31G less and 36 years older, Yet still not a drop of liquid sunshine was ever in the bilge area!! I would be pizzed off for sure, but at who would be debatable, if the dealer tried to do you good by cobbing something makeshift to get you through the season and it worked even halfassed I would think pretty high of him as it’s not his fault. He didn’t build such a halfassed Afro engineered boat from the get go!! I’d demand my money back under the lemon law and purchase a better manufacturerd boat.  Best of luck whichever direction you go in!!!

Edited by pap

6 hours ago, pap said:

:yes: :yes: :yes:  My old and do mean old Sea Ray, I can say, maybe I shouldn’t put the cart before the horse,  that’s one thing I’m most impressed with is this is the most dry boat I’ve ever had, 31G less and 36 years older, Yet still not a drop of liquid sunshine was ever in the bilge area!! I would be pizzed off for sure, but at who would be debatable, if the dealer tried to do you good by cobbing something makeshift to get you through the season and it worked even halfassed I would think pretty high of him as it’s not his fault. He didn’t build such a halfassed Afro engineered boat from the get go!! I’d demand my money back under the lemon law and purchase a better manufacturerd boat.  Best of luck whichever direction you go in!!!

I mostly agree with what you say. I do not like the the "Afro Engineered" thing. I hoped that as Americans we were beyond that. As for the lemon law, it only kicks in after the the dealer has made several sincere efforts to repair a recurrent problem, so it will not work just yet. I hope that it is just some easily repairable bits of sloppy workmanship.

The one thing that boat makers do not like is having their poor workmanship discussed on a lot of boating websites, because a lot of people who buy boats will read the comments in these chat rooms. If you call the warranty number ,you should mention that you post not only on this website, but also on "The Hull Truth" and "I-Boats". That usually motivates them to do the right thing.

Edited by rolmops

Sorry to hear your having issues. I to went thru a difficult time when I bought my Starweld Victory 20 this year at the February boat show.  I finally picked up my boat the 2 nd week of June from the dealer. I was originally told I wouldn’t see the boat till September but after numerous phone calls to Starcraft and rants on there site and social media i got my boat. KNock on wood the boat has been great with no issues to date. Great boat for the money. 

Mops is right at this point it isn’t a Lemon Law issue but it is a customer service issue for the manufacturer.
I guess you have to see how the repairs go however I would reach out to the customer service department of the manufacturer.
They should be able to expedite parts and possibly extend your warranty.
Social media is very powerful. I would point out to the manufacturer that this is a great opportunity for them to confirm your choice and confidence in their product, that you have no desire to see things go in a different direction.
Good luck.

Parts have finally come in. They have to replace front livewell and floor. The problem is that the boat is so New that they didn’t have spare livewell. I guess what is bothering me most is that I would like to talk to a rep from Starcraft and can’t seem to find a contact or been contacted on matter. I 

6 hours ago, rolmops said:

I mostly agree with what you say. I do not like the the "Afro Engineered" thing. I hoped that as Americans we were beyond that. As for the lemon law, it only kicks in after the the dealer has made several sincere efforts to repair a recurrent problem, so it will not work just yet. I hope that it is just some easily repairable bits of sloppy workmanship.

The one thing that boat makers do not like is having their poor workmanship discussed on a lot of boating websites, because a lot of people who buy boats will read the comments in these chat rooms. If you call the warranty number ,you should mention that you post not only on this website, but also on "The Hull Truth" and "I-Boats". That usually motivates them to do the right thing.

It’s funny that this world has come to a point you have to afraid to even open your mouth on here any more. I was instructed by a state inspector that came every 6 months in the 22 years I was in business for myself he was a Black man/ Afro American whatever is the proper term at the moment is as it might change next week. Anyway I referred a mess as a ——rigging and a college educated person with one hell of a sun tan told me he’d appreciate it if I’d refer the mess as a Afro engineered mess. I didn’t think that would upset some tender toed individuals. Just listen to the music that this younger generation listens to, but that’s ok. :@

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ontherise said:

What is Afro engineering anyway?

The way I understand the term, it is inferior engineering because it is the work of an African or at that level. In my book that is not kosher.

Edited by rolmops
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Traveling Circus said:

How could you think that?...... that's not music, that's just plain crap. To call that stuff music offends generations of musicians everywhere. 

I totally agree circus!!! At least there’s a few old school guys left!!! Plus I sure do hope that Hooked up gets his boat fixed right!!! It’s bad enough he had to miss any time on the water this year as this has been a banner year for sure, that should be taken in to perspective also.