Youth waterfowl and pheasant weekend

I took my 14 year old son waterfowl and pheasant hunting this weekend. The spot we hunted dicks and geese yesterday was full of birds 2 days before, but the hunting yesterday was slow. I brought him and 2 friends to the Cayuga Tompkins County CO-OP today. The DEC and Falcons Sportsman Club stock birds in the morning. We put 11 roosters up over my 12 year old Brittany and the kids killed 5. 12 kids total hunted and  everyone had a great time hunting on a beautiful day. With hunting numbers declining, it is great to see young hunters taking advantage of the opportunities provided by sportsman clubs and other organizations.

• Like 2

Glad to see some youngster putting the video games away and getting out there hunting. I still remember every hunt my dad took me on as a youth (though the memories have faded:drink:). Now tiles have reversed and it’s me taking him on hunts. Congrats on a successful weekend.  

• Like 1

I also took a couple of 13yr olds out Saturday with a buddy. We've been doing it for 5-6 years now with kids til they age out.  Went to Tonawanda and they got 4-woodies.  Was a drizzly mess most of the morning but a good time was had by all. One of the kids had hunted deer and hogs before(came up from Florida) and said you know I like this better than deer hunting. You can socialize. I encourage everyone to look for these opportunity's to get a kid out to at least see if this is for them. I liked it more than they did.

• Like 1