Definately run either braid or Stainless Steel wire (30 lbs).  There is too much stretch in mono to effectively trip the dipsies either when a fish hits, or when you want to change baits.  If you run SS wire, make sure to install a twilli tip on the end of your rod, otherwise it will kink and break. 

Copper you just run straight (with a braid backer), as it sinks on its own without a directional planer (approx 20' down for every 100' out)

If you run 1000' of stainless you shouldn't need to back it with much braid for it to fill your reel (assuming you're running a 30 class reel) - if you run 500' you'll have to back it.  Make sure you fill your spool all the way or your line counter will not be accurate.

Yes. I fish both Erie and Ontario and wire is the way to go. I used to run braid but I’m finding they stay in the cabin most days and wire outperforms braid and is more versatile. 

I run wire wire to a 15 ft mono leader, then the dipsey. The mono makes it easier to store and if you need to grab the line it’s easier on you’re hands. Also works as a shock absorber. 

Agreed, wire or braid will get you more bites. I run the wire or braid straight to the dipsy though, with 5 to 6 feet of 30 lb. mono from the dipsy to your spoon or flasher. Dipsys are a double edged sword though imo. I think on alot of days they shut down your outside riggers. Many days my out and downs were quiet until I pulled my dipsy rods, then they started taking bites. Sometimes less is more I think, so if the dipsys aren't taking bites, I'm quick to pull them.