cannon magnum 5st riggers new installation

Cannon's instructions and details are lacking in mounting parts and wiring for the magnum 5st.  The 10;s come with a swivel mounting base.  The cannon page the 5st comes with a base mount.  How do you get a $90 360 swivel base to attach?  Secondly, the riggers come with a power cord.  My starboard length of wiring needed is more than 6 ft they supply you with., 13ft.  I called the factory and after many minutes of discussion the guy said he checked the engineering drawings and the wire is 14 gauge.  I highly doubt it is 14 , more like 12.  In addition, they say to use 10 gauge for an extension after 6 to 15 ft.  How can you go from 10g at the battery and end up with 14g at the rigger?  Finally, must you install 30 amp fuses in each rigger line or not for mag 5st's?  thanks guys. 

I have a thirty amp fuse on each rigger. I ran 10 Ga wire to a terminal block at each rigger then attached the cable the riggers came with to that terminal block.

For the swivel base, through bolt to the gunnel. Just be sure to put a backer plate on the underside to dispurse the weight and not let the bolts pull through.

Thanks for the comments Richard, But I'm talking specifically about a Magnum 5ST.  I know I may mount a purchased swivel on my gunnel, but a 5ST is confusing what it comes with on the bottom of the rigger, to attach to a swivel base.  Do I need to purchase a separate base mount with the big pin that I see on the other Digitrolls and mag 10's to attach to the swivel mount?  Unless you have a Mag 5ST Idon't believe you will know what i'm talking about.

i have both 5st and 10 sts and the only difference in them are the 10 st comes with a swivel base and telescopic boom the 5st should have come with afixed base which your downrigger slides into and is locked in by a bolt with a hand knob to tighten just like what attaches  the 10 st

All the pics I've seen of it advertised show a swivel base at the bottom of it. As far as the electrical hookup....Cannon offers a flush mount Power Port that can be installed along the gunwale. 10 gauge wire would be used to connect to the battery with 30 amp inline fuse for each for longer runs I should think.

Cannon-MAG-5-ST-Electric-Downrigger-Gallery-img2.jpg

Cannon-Flush-Mount-Power-Port-Black-Flush-Mount-Power-Port---White_250x220.JPG

Edited by Sk8man

I prefer 12 vdc circuit breakers over fuses. Can be bought at NAPA or online. 

I do not like the flush mount power outlet,in most cases that has the power cords protruding from the sides of the gunwales and just get in the way . Better to have the connection tucked zip tied away under the gunwale .

1 hour ago, Bozeman Bob said:

I prefer 12 vdc circuit breakers over fuses. Can be bought at NAPA or online.  

Good to know Scott. The ones I had were many years old. I have both the circuit breaker and inline fuses. Have had the circuit breaker pop for the riggers but never a fuse blow (yet). Once I installed newer type power cords that problem went away. The older cords had a tendency to crack and short out the rigger from moisture getting in occasionally.

Also, do not over tighten the hold down bolts.. A bead of silicone underneath, tighten the bolts somewhat, let the silicone dry a day then finish tightening, just do not over do it.