Little monsters

ken frearson

After sitting in a stand the other day watching a pair of pileated woodpeckers hammer away on a few of my thousands ash trees I began to wonder were I was going to put my stand after there all dead. The good news is I guess the lower acerage of our woodlot will turn back into one great big brush lot again and become another good place for a deer santuary. I decided to investigate and pull back some bark and here's pics of the little monster! The emerald ash borer larvae. I guess the woodpeckers are happy.IMG_20181021_090449289.jpegIMG_20181021_090109134.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Italy valley , Yates country they started coming down the valley from the north 2 years ago and this year they started killing trees at the North end of me and by next year they will all be toast! Most of the trees were not marketable yet or the ones that were are in a WRP program.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Too late. When we bought the property four years ago, I began basal drench treatment with Imacloprid on a couple very large trees where we park near the road. It was immediately obvious that their dying would have been a real pain. So far, so good. However, at the time I didn't know where I'd be placing stands or which stands I'd grow to like. Now that I've become more familiar with the property, I have favorites, but they've started to lose their canopy. So they're dead trees standing. If I'd known then what I know now...and had a nickel for every time I've thought that.

• Like 1

Please be careful regarding using those tree stands in your dying trees. We had a hunter locally that lost the use of his arms and legs due to a dead tree (that his stand was in). The tree fell with him in the stand and tethered to the tree.

Yeah, I'm thinking we have one more year until we have to move them, since they just started experiencing canopy loss (in the Brockport area). However, if the trees don't leaf out next year, the stands are outta there. The nice thing about Ash is that it's fairly obvious when it goes, since it looks like somebody shot it with a 4 gauge from all the woodpecker activity.