Any perch on Seneca?

20 hours ago, darkwater1 said:

The perch fishing on Seneca has been really tuff for the people I know over the last few years. It is that time of year again so I would just go try.

That's because people catch them by the hundreds & sell them for profits & then wonder why there aren't many.  Good way to wipe out a species, remember the blue pike in lake Erie, all gone now!  People said it coulndn't happen.

• Like 2

Not too sure but I think all the guys keeping all the spawning pigs in recent years has not helped the situation. The big spawning females should be released considering Seneca is only a shell of what it was 5 yrs ago. Perch do fluctuate wildly on all waters though so you may see a comeback but something is wrong with Seneca for all species. Keep the medium size ones and let the slobs go back.

I guess it helps when a little forethought goes into posting about some things and perch fishing is one of them. Unlike lake dwelling trout and salmon that traverse that lake seemingly randomly, the "spot burning' phenomenon that trib fishermen get upset about applies to perch as well; but perhaps in a somewhat different way. Because of the schooling behavior they are very vulnerable to over harvesting. Yes, they are prolific breeders but when you have 50 fish limits and several guys to a boat, and some folks not paying ANY attention to the regulations and making repeated daily trips to harvest the perch while they are vulnerable, and following their movements daily, using cameras to select out only the schools of the largest perch......a problem exists. Things are VERY different these days with the advent of sophisticated electronics, electric trolling motors, cameras, and the INTERNET etc. from the time when the 50 limit regulation was introduced. A major difference with the perch fishery from that of bass, trout, salmon and other gamefish is that the sale of them is allowed. Where there is money - there is greed and unscrupulous (and often illegal) behavior. Additionally, many perch guys actually believe that the pool of fish is infinite and that no matter how many you take out there are many more to replace them....such "magical thinking" is a large component of the problem too. Allowing fishing for perch DURING spawning when they are schooled up tight is a huge pressure because it takes many years for those "jumbos" to reach that size. End of rant. I know..... get out the popcorn....but like a dink perch I took the bait:lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 8

I know for a fact that Seneca Perch are sold out of the refrigerator of long time "Perch Bandit/s" almost year round. Same mentality takes all they can kill White Tails, Geese, Ducks ... you name it. They could't give a crap about the health of the lake or other people's potential future harvest. 

Another good post Sk8man!

What I dont get is how the DEC calls a special meeting in Geneva to discuss the health of the lake and continues to allow perch to be sold commercially. Dah.... They just dont get it and neither do the rednecks who dont give a sh*& about legal or moral limits and takes. Most likely the people reading here arent the problem, its the uneducated rednecks with 1950s mentality. Catch and kill. DEC needs to get their act together about the commercial fish rule. Seems like poachers are as much of or more of a problem now in this day and age as any ever especially up in Northern NY where they do whatever they like and write their own rules for fishing and hunting. Fish and game doesnt have a chance with the current lack of manpower the DEC has across the state. There is no morals left either.

Edited by BP Swing

All great points indeed. I do wish they would remove the sellable piece as it does change ones behavior vs just filling the freezer from a successful trip out. Some still believe that over fishing can’t impact the fisheries. Some even think that it’s impossible to catch 100’s of these fish when they go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1