2018-2019 Ice Season

EsoxAC3

Recent weather report suggests that November will be a few degrees warmer than average then December is forecasted to be quite cold. Fingers crossed for ice late in December.... getting the ice fishing itch! Cant wait[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From what I'm seeing, I think your going to see above average November/December and then well be in for a very cold below average jan/feb/march

Silverfoxcharters.net

I'm going to call wishful thinking on this, but even if it's a pipe dream, I'm there with you.
My info come from what seems to be a very good meteorologist with a very good track record in looking at previous years models along with what's going on in the Pacific Ocean and the Fall weather patterns. She mentioned it could be similar to 2014 due to a shift in pattern, the Arctic ice cover expanding and the expanding snow cover in Canada and Greenland.

Silverfoxcharters.net

Hope she is right Scott. Cold temps are one part of the equation, but an even more important component is wind (velocity and direction). That is where I'm most concerned because so far this year it has been very windy. Good ice needs prolonged cold temps combined with some nearly still days and nights. As long as the water is significantly moving the ice either resists forming or else keeps breaking up before it get solidly formed and especially where there is some open water present.

Edited by Sk8man

Water temps are still a touch on the warm side but you just never kno.... Long range forecasts are such a moving target.... El nino always makes for interesting weather patterns and predictions. Fingers crossed here! Im a frozen glass half full kind of guy. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hope she is right Scott. Cold temps are one part of the equation, but an even more important component is wind (velocity and direction). That is where I'm most concerned because so far this year it has been very windy. Good ice needs prolonged cold temps combined with some nearly still days and nights. As long as the water is significantly moving the ice either resists forming or else keeps breaking up before it get solidly formed and especially where there is some open water present.
That's a short term problem. How many times have you seen it windy as hell one day and overnight it just stops for no reason and everything g locks up. Wind isn't the big issue, it's the temperature patterns.

Silverfoxcharters.net

I'll take the cold first and if a lot of snow comes, it would suck, but not fishing the lake shore bays too much anymore, isn't usually too much of a problem for me in terms of ice making. They just don't get the snow down south like up here.

Silverfoxcharters.net

34 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Its going to be a horrible ice season.  I have 7300 Gambler Rig skirts in stock and have nothing else to tie this winter.  I have all the time in the world to ice fish this winter. 

I'll bet the perch are hoping you don't get a chance to get at them:lol: I don't know Scott I've only had 65 seasons of ice fishing thus far so pretty small sample size to judge from :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I'll bet the perch are hoping you don't get a chance to get at them[emoji38] I don't know Scott I've only had 65 seasons of ice fishing thus far so pretty small sample size to judge from [emoji38]
Trust me, I don't know crap, just ask everyone.

Silverfoxcharters.net

:lol::lol: It is definitely all three of the things we all mentioned temp, wind, and snow cover.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2018 at 12:15 PM, Silver Fox said:

Trust me, I don't know crap, just ask everyone.

Silverfoxcharters.net

Dang, I can confirm that!! Oh wait, I've been promised a trade for some Costanza's garlic romano sausage. Until that happens, he's  a freakin' genius.

Although whoever said it was going to be a warmer than normal November earlier in this thread was off their rocker. Unless it was Scotty, in which case November isn't over yet. Did you see the 14 degrees we're going to have to sit through Thanksgiving Day and the day after? Oh, my aching...whatever.

Here's the Gator guarantee: winter is coming (cue music). Now if George RR would just get off his keister and finish the books.

• Like 1

Yeah, that girl I follow is a bit wrong on November, we'll see if her December warm up happens. She's usually pretty accurate. Heck even the local weathermen can't do a forecast for 4 days out. Instead of a warm up Thanksgiving/Friday, its now record cold! Its all in the patterns and the winter overall looks bad. Yeah and I'll trade sausage anytime broheem.

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 1

I got a nice soft case that holds ten rods, so maybe I'll stop breaking them. But I wrapped a few new ones anyway, just to see how they feel :o. Actually, I love my setup just the way it is. It's light, well-organized, and effective. Or at least as effective as I am, which may leave some room for interpretation.

I hear Gambler is looking for some new toys. His shanty and equipment only weighs 200 lbs and he needs a second kitchen sink :rofl:.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gator said:

I got a nice soft case that holds ten rods, so maybe I'll stop breaking them. But I wrapped a few new ones anyway, just to see how they feel :o. Actually, I love my setup just the way it is. It's light, well-organized, and effective. Or at least as effective as I am, which may leave some room for interpretation.

I hear Gambler is looking for some new toys. His shanty and equipment only weighs 200 lbs and he needs a second kitchen sink :rofl:.

You can never be too prepared!