2018-2019 Ice Season

EsoxAC3

I'm with Gambler....no such thing as OVER preparing....oh... thats right  unless you're going through significant snow....that may be where I feel like chucking everything:lol: pikefreak....you have to be careful getting  all that good stuff. It leaves no room for excuses when you come back in and things didn't go well :lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I'm with Gambler....no such thing as OVER preparing....oh... thats right  unless you're going through significant snow....that may be where I feel like chucking everything:lol: pikefreak....you have to be careful getting  all that good stuff. It leaves no room for excuses when you come back in and things didn't go well :lol:

I always get harassed about how warm it is in my tent too.  I like being comfortable! 

Im getting a one man eskimo evo this year. Going lighter for greater mobility. One man shack but still has 20sq ft of fishing area. Might get another battery for my drill. Other than that.... just getting the sled and wheeler tuned up. Bring on the cold stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I looked at the Evo line, and the extra space is nice...I'm not sure with the shape how usable it is...but tent part folds up into the base, which leaves quite a bit less room for gear. It also means that you need to unpack completely before putting the tent up. Or at least that's my understanding.

The Fishtrap Legend XL that I have is listed at 48 lbs. I saved extra weight and space by removing the molded seat and going with a folding Millennium hunting chair. There's nearly 17 sqft of space inside. Definitely not a two man, but not cramped either.

• Like 1

Dinosaur that I am  I've been slow to adapt to new ways on the ice:lol: Although I have had shelters of various types for many years, I still revert back to "old school" stuff in response to the weather conditions. During first ice I often just go with a sled, a bucket, and folding chair. When the snow gets deep I stick with the sled instead of my shelter and may include my old eskimo tent:smile:. When the weather gets brutal I take my Clam insulated Kenai. Here is some food for thought though...the use of shelters is great in many ways but there is often something missing from the ice fishing experience: socialization and comradery. The actual learning experience has also changed. Instead of being able to watch old timers using their "secret weapons"  and hoping they might share some of the info, we resort to Youtube presentations at home with fishing  conducted within heated sheds and fish ourselves with little to no interaction with others outside except maybe on a cell phone. It is a very different experience than in the old days. It was easier to socialize and learn as well back when you had direct visual access to other people out on the ice. I still remember one great experience that stands out  out of the many had out there. I was fishing the Penn Yan end of Keuka sitting on a bucket back in the early seventies with my sled nearby with an insulated box in which I kept all my stuff including a bottle of Yukon Jack wiskey:lol:. A bunch of guys from Pennsylvania were fishing nearby and while setting up our tip ups we began to chat and I noticed they had a propane grill so I asked what they were going to cook and they said "everything", so I went a bit deeper in my questioning and they displayed venison, pheasant, duck, and some elk meat. I said "I have some pretty good perch if you want some to add to your feast". They said "sure, why don't you join us?" I went back to my sled and  filleted some jumbos and grabbed the bottle of Yukon Jack and returned. We finished that bottle and cooked up the variety of food, chatted about fishing techniques, hunting etc. for  what seemed like hours, and it was one of those "peak experiences" and some of the best tasting food in life.You can miss a lot of enjoyment hiding out in the warmth of your shelter....:smile:

oldschool.jpg

ownworld.jpg

0115181122_resized.jpg

DSC09388a.JPG

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Jeez Less. I can't read all that without taking a nap:smile:

However, been there, done that. Sometime, we should deploy my polar and your tent. It would look like a new invention out there to some of the younger guys. I am getting, by way of Christmas a bunch of new toys including a new Legend xl thermal. Weighs 60 lbs but I have the millennium chair that I will put in instead of their chair to lower the weight. Then again, I'll  just let Gambel pull it. He won't notice the difference:lol:

:lol::lol: Yeah sometimes I put myself to sleep JIm but I had a few coffee's I'm sure Brian will be glad to help as I'm sure he likes helping out his elders:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I have about 40 crappie in the freezer already from the past two days..there's ice, well there was ice till it rained and warmed up...gonna be a little while b4 I call it safe againIMG_20181123_151426237.thumb.jpeg.534539352f0bea2fe296ac9e388b3d4f.jpegIMG_20181123_143709123.thumb.jpeg.aea0945e2ad3299cb69d9eed2f40e31c.jpeg

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That’s awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:59 AM, geoice said:

I have about 40 crappie in the freezer already from the past two days..there's ice, well there was ice till it rained and warmed up...gonna be a little while b4 I call it safe againIMG_20181123_151426237.jpegIMG_20181123_143709123.jpeg

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey Geoice nice catch.  What Lowrance unit is that you're using?  How do you like it?  I have a hummingbird ice 35 and I am thinking of changing up.

Hey Geoice nice catch.  What Lowrance unit is that you're using?  How do you like it?  I have a hummingbird ice 35 and I am thinking of changing up.

I had a ice 35 but I just got a hummingbird helix 7, can’t wait to use it!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app