2018-2019 Ice Season

EsoxAC3

I booked one of Amanda's Lodgers first weekend of Feb on chaumont bay.... 

Anybody got some nearby alternatives or should I cancel 

I just chatted with my buddy in lafargeville. He is a contractor and ice fishes all winter long. There will places to ice fish. Chaumont will have ice as well. Just may be more limited as to where we can safely fish..... need a stretch of single digits so we can safely get out to the walleye grounds on machines. In warm winters past, the inland lakes near Theresa and Redwood provide pretty decent ice fishing opportunities..... they tend to freeze a bit more quickly and not a bad plan b, imho. Its just nice to jump on ur machine and go when ur staying on the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Which side of the point are u on? Im staying on the Chaumont side of TMP this winter. Just be aware of conditions. Things can change quickly on the bay. A lotta guys go in the drink by state launch. Also gotta be careful near head of point salubrious. Current rips there and ice formation is significantly reduced. Pressure cracks and shifting ice sheets are things to take note of as well. Highly recommend getting an ice condition update from chaumont hardware anytime u head out. Greg, the owner has good bait and very reliable information. Good luck! Hope have a safe and productive trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

23 hours ago, EsoxAC3 said:

the inland lakes near Theresa and Redwood provide pretty decent ice fishing opportunities..... they tend to freeze a bit more quickly and not a bad plan b, imho. Its just nice to jump on ur machine and go when ur staying on the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I got a little impatient and tried Hyde Lake for the first time last week. I'd never fished ANY of the lakes in this area. With nothing but a DEC contour map to go on I headed out figuring I'd lay out a spread of lightly rigged tip-downs, bounce around with a jigging rod, and see what happened. Well...even the blind squirrel finds a nut now and again. Drilled my first hole, sent down the minnow and had a fish on before I could let go of the line. I had a hard time getting a five line spread out the action was so steady (Perch). I might have just jigged and had better results but I wanted to get a full spread out before sunset to get a decent shot at a walleye. No luck on that end of things but I got a few meals and a beautiful day on a real nice body of water. Good access to the ice and a decent bait store right on 37 make this a great plan B for Saturday if Quinte still isn't safe.

• Like 2

Was able to get out over the weekend for the first time this ice season. Found 3-5” with no wind and plenty of sun which made for quite the enjoyable morning. Slow bite but was gifted with a 40” muskie which made it all worth the while. a724f74f34ff3095a183911528a7e8f7.jpg

• Like 5

Was able to get out over the weekend for the first time this ice season. Found 3-5” with no wind and plenty of sun which made for quite the enjoyable morning. Slow bite but was gifted with a 40” muskie which made it all worth the while. a724f74f34ff3095a183911528a7e8f7.jpg&key=ff141c642753731cb3743747986ef649d4c8b795643938dfabfdde6c5658e110

That’s awesome!! Conesus?

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

when you guys are targeting large walleye what lb mainline and leader is ideal

Main: 10 pound Fireline Crystal, Leader: 3 to 4ft 12 pound fluorocarbon, tied with a uni-to-uni or a small Spro swivel.  

better than us we hit conesus in the morning and got nothing having the baitshop out of shiners didnt help.  

What bait shop? I went to the one on the north end of Conesus yesterday morning and the tanks were full.