What Lake Ontario fisheries topics do you want to hear about?

HYPOTHETICALLY, if there would ever be a central NY-based, weekend-held event, where Lake Ontario fisheries and research information was presented and discussed, what topics would the LOU members be most interested in?

Anything, from nerdy details about survey calculations to where Threespine stickleback are most abundant to drivers of smallmouth bass population dynamics...what are you curious about and have never had answered as well as you would have liked?

Again, completely hypothetical....but you never know who might read this thread and get some ideas!

shreckstoff

Would love to see numbers on natural reproduction if any for browns and bow overall and by area
Walleye migration routes
Small mouth population structures
Any bloaters in the trawls
Northern pike status especially as we get seasons in with plan 2014 and all the braddoks bay work
Given time I'm sure there is more I'd take the time to read about or if available listen to a lecture or presentation on

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, yank my line said:

I've seen first hand at the hatchery. They only milk the midsize fish. They throw the big fish back because they are to hard to handle. They are removing the genics of the larger fish!

The new manager of the Altmar hatchery was a client of mine for a few years. He took me on a tour of the hatchery this past Spring, and showed me the complete process. I believer your claim is false. They do not selectively harvest medium fish to breed over big dogs. That being said they also don't toss away smaller Salmon. They take what they get and use it. The thing that I admired the most about the Altmar hatchery is what they are able to accomplish with what little they have, and what little the state gives them. Those hatchery guys are ROCK STARS, and responsible for what we have. I'd make a bet that the biggest fish are targeted and yanked out of the Salmon River before they even make it to the hatchery. Bigger fish are easier to see, and the crowd fishing that river is very good at dragging fish out of there. 

A few of us have asked about "experimenting" by breeding larger fish together to see what could come of it. The state continues to say there is no science that supports it will work.

• Like 1

LakeO is one of the best trout/salmon fisheries, Lake Erie is one of the best walleye fisheries in the country, why isn't LakeO trying to get something near the walleye populations to make LakeO the most sought after lake in the country. The structure of LakeO is so much like the Canadian lakes structure wise of course with out the depths. With the walleyes picking up on the gobies and able to get into the shallows to harvest the gobies. Are the populations still there like in the 80's or not. Why isn't there more light shed on this subject??

Edited by Xxx
  • Like 1

Yes the employees at Altmar are to be appreciated for the job they do. However, policy can dictate success. If Steve LaPan is hanging his hat on maintaining a “trophy salmon fishery” then the hatchery should only be pulling 4 year olds for brood stock. If they are worried about numbers then continue to take fish a week or two longer 

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, Low Baller said:

How much revenue is created by the salmon industry of lake O, combined instate and out of state. And how much actually is used for the maintaining of the fishery.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How much except the license fee, and the Pittman Robertson money is actually available to use for "the maintenance of the fishery?"  Seems to me that all the rest of that "revenue" ends up in private pockets.