Down rigger mounting

PFM

I have a 2016 crestliner 2050 commander with 2 digitroll 10’s, 1 on each gunnel at the rear of boat. I have my main motor and a 9.9 Kicker to the right of it looking from inside the back of the boat. I want to add a 3rd downrigger but can’t figure out how to mount it the way the stern is designed. If anyone knows what I’m referring to and has any suggestions I’d like to hear them. Thanks

F0BDC433-040B-4807-80EC-45F08A6DE741.jpeg

I don't know if you already have inset rod holders in the gunwales but I have 4 of them and I use Cannon gimbal mounts in them with 4 electric outlets located nearby along the gunwales two per side. I have olders Cannon Mag 10 A's and Digitrol each with extendable booms on swivel bases. I normally run 2 downriggers off the ends of the stern with one pointed at 45 degrees on the port side and one straight back on the starboard side with the booms extended a little. When I run a third downrigger I run it on the starboard side (away from my trolling motor which is on the port). I extend the boom aways and run the third rigger at 90 degrees while the other on that side is run straight back. I have never had any problem with this setup run for many years and can actually run 4 this way if I extend the fourth port side boom out further. Hope this makes sense to you....I don't have any pics of the set-up. The beauty of it is that I can take the riggers off and on by just unplugging the electrical connection and lifting them out.

Edited by Sk8man

Thye can be installed pretty easily but they need to be solid perhaps reinforced underneath. I have factory Whaler ones and they are very solid.

On my crestliner sabre with a main OB and kicker on an SST transom I mounted the 3rd rigger directly in front of the main OB with a 5ft boom that reached out over the OB. Ran this setup for years and never had any sort of issue. You will need a weight retriever on that rigger but with that inclusion it was simple to set and retrieve by turning the rigger 45 degrees away from this kicker during the rigging process and then turning it straight out the stern while running it.  I generally ran it as my deep rigger with my corner riggers at a 45 degree angle away from the boat, this set up easily support at typical 'V' downrigger set. I was also an aesthetically pleasing set up . IMO 2 riggers on one side increases your changes of cable tangles and complicates the set up of your diver and 'junk' rods. Don't over think it, it appears the back of your boat is similar to the way mine was and a 3rd rigger install looks pretty easy  (you might need a 6" pedestal since your OB looks a little higher than mine)

Sorry I don't have any pictures handy

Without building a raised track system, which would give you more options but at a high price, your back corners look like the best option. Only thing is it looks like your fuel fill is there. Is that bait/cleaning table an opening compartment?

After some great ideas and some research I’ve decided to do exactly that; go with a raised track system using traxstech risers and bar. I’ll have to get another DR with a 60” boom. Probably will be somewhat pricey but it will give me the further opportunity I’m looking for.

I think you will be happy with your decision. I am very happy with my Traxstech raised track system. Jeff made me some custom hinged track risers that were the icing on the cake for what I needed on my Grady. Just be aware if you need something custom made from Traxstech it will take some time, but it will be a quality product in the end.

20180527_113211.jpg

20180527_113350.jpg

20180527_113332.jpg

Why a third rigger? I have tried to run 3 and 4 riggers off of a 8 foot beam and unless the conditions were incredible it wasn’t worth the hassle. As I fish more I’m realizing that in most cases more than 6 to 8 rods aren’t catching me anymore fish.

Why a third rigger? I have tried to run 3 and 4 riggers off of a 8 foot beam and unless the conditions were incredible it wasn’t worth the hassle. As I fish more I’m realizing that in most cases more than 6 to 8 rods aren’t catching me anymore fish.

If you mount the rigger more forward, they are easier to service and safer since you do not stretch so far over board.

I will always run as many rods as I am allowed, and some days riggers are what they want. If you are having trouble running more than 2 riggers with an 8' beam, you're doing something wrong.

The further forward you mount your riggers the more likely you are to put a cable into your prop when fishing strong currents. THAT is dangerous. 

• 2 weeks later...