Rigger of choice

Billy V

What brand of Downrigger do you use?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of Downrigger do you use?

• Cannon
    • Scotty
    • Big Jon
    • Walker
    • Vector
    • Fishlander
    • Invader
    • Proos
    • Penn

I had been running fishlanders for 3-4 years, upgraded in the spring to include new triple holders and a new fishlander mast.....then they

went out of business!

Was very happy with them (rigs like Big Jon's) and liked the adjustable

rod holders....

Hoping the come back....but not looking good.....

As I've posted on these types of threads in the past, I started with Cannon Unitroll HP Manual riggers on my 1st boat and liked them just fine, I bought a couple older used mag 10s that I transferred over to the Thompson when I got it and I liked those very much as well. Eventually I bought 2 new Scotty Electrics and moved the old mag 10's to the outdown positions up the gunwales, then from there they went to the basement where they still sit.

I liked the Cannons just fine, but now that I have my Scottys, I'd never go back.

Tim

I ran Canons for more than twenty five years,and still have them on my Trophy.They were and still are a great rigger.

However,I had the chance to use Scottys last year on a friends boat,and liked them so much,that i bought four of them for my new boat.

I like the tilt up boom feature,and also like the way the boom telescopes.

I have had Cannon Mag 10's 15's and DT20. I no longer own a boat but I do like the Scottys on my friends boats. I like the fact that they dont use any power to lower them. I used to have to charge my rigger batteries every nite. With the Scottys I might not have had too. Tilt boom is a nice feature too.

I have wrapped a DT 20 cable on the spool axel a time or two. Just too fast IMO. If I was to do it again...it would be Scottys.

Mentioned it before that I run Cannons, with 2 being Digi-Trol's They have had the 5 programmable desired depths for years now. One thing I find interesting about Bill's poll is that no one has listed using the Vector's. I know they have a huge following out in Lake Michigan though.

I am still running my 3 Walker's and they've been just fine to me. A little slow compared to some, but they do the job I ask of them. I did add the Walker tilt up bases to all 3 this past season (like scotty has) and that has been a terrific addition!

Ya'll know I'm runnin the Scotty's. I came from Cannon, and i used Walkers when i was younger on a charter boat. They all have thier pros and cons like anything in life. I must admit though that I can rig 3 rigger rods with cheaters faster with Scotty's than I could with any other rigger. On top of that I can run power pro on my riggers which i wouldnt trade for the world.