Rainbow Trout Lures?

I am flat-lining for rainbows on Georgian Bay. Water here is very clear, we are using long leads with light line and are using a body bait like an A. C. Shiner or a West River spoon. I think the main source of food is smelt and maybe gobies? Do not think there is many alewife, if any. It seems most guys fishing Lake Onatrio are using a long spoon with orange color in it. Does anyone think the bows up here would hit these spoons? Or is the spoon thing an offshore summertime rainbow thing. What do you fellows troll with near shore and around river mouths? Thanks for any help. Beanstir

Rainbows have a pretty diverse diet - perhaps unlike Pacific salmon. They respond to a wide variety of lures both sticks and spoons and often seem to prefer spoons in the red/orange range or blue/silver, plain silver or silver/brass, and sometimes copper. I think the key is often size; especially in places other than the Great Lakes proper where alewives are a mainstay and get up to that 5-7 inch range. On the Finger Lakes small Suttton spoons (e.g. like the West River size and even smaller) work well. The silver plating on the Suttons  (or other spoons for that matter) tends to show up well underwater for longer distances so that can be an advantage too. I've had the best luck over the years with spoons in the 2-3 inch range regardless of color or brand of spoon and even the large rainbows respond to them. Likewise stickbaits such as Rapalas or "look alikes" in that smaller size range  seem to work best trolled back aways and at fairly fast speeds. Jointed F-7 size Rapalas seem to tolerate higher speeds and turns better than solid bodies. I usually use a large split shot or two about 3 ft ahead of them to keep them under a bit. I honestly think that the action of the lure is more important than the color most of the time whether spoon or stick. In many places rainbows feed on minnows of various types so keeping the lures down to size makes sense. On Lake O where the larger baitfish predominate the larger sized lures make much sense.

Edited by Sk8man

" Flourocarbon leaders a must" very true and especially with the clear water conditions. Another thing worth mentioning is that rainbows well also respond to worm harnesses trolled at a distance or even from downriggers with long leads using either live nightcrawlers or rubber worms in the 5 inch size.

Edited by Sk8man

When I am over clear water I usually go with realistic patterns. Look at dreamweaver’s super slim line of spoons. Very speed tolerant and lots of colors to choose from. Also check out Northport Nailer Spoons in the smaller 3.25” size. Definitely fluoro leaders for Georgian Bay’s clear water. 

Edited by Gill-T

Thanks for the replies. These Dreamweaver and Northport spoons are the type of spoon I have been reading about on this site and was wondering if they would work up here on Georgian Bay. What type of bait would they be representing? I was thinking Alewife. Or maybe not. What speed would these spoons run the best? Would I best run these lures with a weight or not? What depth would these lures run at 2.5 mph? 

12 hours ago, Beanstir said:

Thanks for the replies. These Dreamweaver and Northport spoons are the type of spoon I have been reading about on this site and was wondering if they would work up here on Georgian Bay. What type of bait would they be representing? I was thinking Alewife. Or maybe not. What speed would these spoons run the best? Would I best run these lures with a weight or not? What depth would these lures run at 2.5 mph? 

Planer boards with leadcore, keel weights or pinch on weights. Downiggers with long leads. Dipsy divers or slide divers. 

Theres a body bait from the past.AC Shinner. Great body bait. Not sure if any of the local tackle store where you are carry the Meegs line of spoons, but they work great . Hand painted in many combos. Watermelon and wonder bread are go too,s.

Another is the silver fox. Great flutter spoon for those low speeds.

• 3 months later...