All done with Rage broadheads

GAMBLER

It's funny how this thread just lingers.

I'd guess that 95% of the time, those Rage broadheads work perfectly - otherwise, they wouldn't sell. It's the other 5% that concerns me. It seems like shots with a steeper entry angle are prone to mishap, particularly around the shoulder. It could be that this is all just an urban myth and that Rage are no worse than any other brand out there...maybe there are so many folks that use Rage, it's inevitable that there will be more horror stories. But I know I've had some Rage fails in the past, switched to Slick Trick, and haven't looked back. 

Maybe I've become a better hunter and choose better shots in my age...I mean wisdom. Regardless, IMHO the only difference between a bowhunter who hasn't experienced an issue with mechanical broadheads and one who has is time. 

• Like 1

It's funny how this thread just lingers.  

I'd guess that 95% of the time, those Rage broadheads work perfectly - otherwise, they wouldn't sell. It's the other 5% that concerns me. It seems like shots with a steeper entry angle are prone to mishap, particularly around the shoulder. It could be that this is all just an urban myth and that Rage are no worse than any other brand out there...maybe there are so many folks that use Rage, it's inevitable that there will be more horror stories. But I know I've had some Rage fails in the past, switched to Slick Trick, and haven't looked back. 

Maybe I've become a better hunter and choose better shots in my age...I mean wisdom. Regardless, IMHO the only difference between a bowhunter who hasn't experienced an issue with mechanical broadheads and one who has is time. 

There’s a ton of fakes on every market, I’ve even spotted fakes on the shelf of a local archery shop. And last fall I had a muzzy trocar hb that the 2 blades did not open at all, even after going thru the doe and into the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

With that arrow placement you could have killed it with a field point.  Show me a quartering shot result.   Chances are you can’t because you would not have found the deer.  Very lethal broadhead at broadside shots only. 

• Like 2

And what about these?? 2 quartering to hard shot between the neck and front shoulder. Then another down thru the back!! The only guys losing deer to rages shoot them in the shoulder blade. I’ll add another pic as well if a rage I found in the deer I shot thru the back. Stop trying to put a broad head thru the shoulder. 

1C63F1F7-E522-400D-A88F-0C651E06FBF3.png

4DC67371-BE9D-42ED-9208-8D60BA83B883.png

EE56824D-FE69-4E5D-88DD-0E522E345FE6.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Total Chaos said:

And what about these?? 2 quartering to hard shot between the neck and front shoulder. Then another down thru the back!! The only guys losing deer to rages shoot them in the rage I found in the deer I shot thru the back. Stop trying to put a broad head thru the shoulder. 

1C63F1F7-E522-400D-A88F-0C651E06FBF3.png

4DC67371-BE9D-42ED-9208-8D60BA83B883.png

EE56824D-FE69-4E5D-88DD-0E522E345FE6.png

This is why Rage fail!! This came from the deer I shot thru the back. Can’t push it thru bone. 

114D3734-ABE8-498D-8FDB-8E164A00688D.png

Not to split hairs but that shot is more broadside than quartering. I would have felt comfortable shooting any style of mechanical in that situation and yes it has been warm enough to hear crickets 

I’ve shot at least 30 deer with rage heads never had one fail! I’ve only lost 2 deer with them. Both were broadside. One I hit in the neck, god knows how, and he survived. I started getting pics within 3 days of me shooting him and the other, you guessed it, shoulder. Every head has opened and none ever opened prior to contact. You guys can use whatever you want but stop bashing something that works fine. I bet the majority of the times it operator error that causes the fail. Just like everything in life. And the crickets is because Gill-T had nothing to say about the quartering shots that obviously resulted in dead deer that he was sure I couldn’t show him. I can say rage heads have made me look a lot better than I am because I’ve made some borderline shots that resulted in quick, easy to find kills that with a cut on contact head would not have been easy if ever recovered. I shot thunderhead 125 and Ricky mountain razors back in the day and lost deer with both. They’re only as good as the person behind the bow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Total Chaos said:

I’ve shot at least 30 deer with rage heads never had one fail! I’ve only lost 2 deer with them. Both were broadside. One I hit in the neck, god knows how, and he survived. I started getting pics within 3 days of me shooting him and the other, you guessed it, shoulder. Every head has opened and none ever opened prior to contact. You guys can use whatever you want but stop bashing something that works fine. I bet the majority of the times it operator error that causes the fail. Just like everything in life. And the crickets is because Gill-T had nothing to say about the quartering shots that obviously resulted in dead deer that he was sure I couldn’t show him. I can say rage heads have made me look a lot better than I am because I’ve made some borderline shots that resulted in quick, easy to find kills that with a cut on contact head would not have been easy if ever recovered. I shot thunderhead 125 and Ricky mountain razors back in the day and lost deer with both. They’re only as good as the person behind the bow. 

I just don't understand why other peoples opinion bothers you so much.  If you are happy with them, continue to use them.  With zero fails in 30 deer, I would continue to use them too if I didnt have one fail.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be curious to get Naititroller and other guys who do deer search recoveries opinions. 
Imo Expandables are garbage.
Reason 1: decreased penetration on high or shoulder hits. With a high chance of deflection.
Reason 2: once it is deployed and in a deer it quits cutting. A fixed blade is working every step a deer takes if its in the shoulder, if it hits a tree it slices sideways creating more lacerations and sometimes the killing punch.
Reason 3 opening blades if it hits a tiny twig or branch resulting in a miss or wound.
Reason 4 most guys get over confident on longer shots because they don't care if they gut shoot em cause a rage thru the cavity will kill em.. well maybe but push em and then try finding em without a dog... one took us over 3 miles last week... no way a guy comes close to finding that deer w/o a dog..

After tracking for 18 years most calls are I hit em a little high with an expandable.. if he isn't dead with 200yds your deer isn't gonna die bud..

Super sharp fixed broadhead with a well tuned bow = your best chance to harvest a deer. Wait em out for that slam dunk shot. Patience wounds way less deer..

Good luck all..
I'm hunting this week don't call us... lol!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...