Sampson State Park photo update

yes we can meet up. i.m there about 5 weeks during the summer and fish two or more days with short trips a lot. I haven't done much fishing the last two years. what did you here. I wont listen to rumors. I learned to wait and see, I fished out of deans two years ago. I saw the machine they put in there. nobody there so I launch anyway. I hung my Sampson pass in my truck window. no problem. i'm sure somebody over there checked me out.

wife and I went for a 2 hour ride to Seneca today. The black lab needed a swim. I walk around the marina. there doing a very nice job. this will be a first class marina when its done. cant wait. nobody out fishing. lake very calm.

I went friday. They poured a lot of concrete.

Nick

wife and I went for a 2 hour ride to Seneca today. The black lab needed a swim. I walk around the marina. there doing a very nice job. this will be a first class marina when its done. cant wait. nobody out fishing. lake very calm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ugh....gonna have to trail to Geneva or Lodi this year from Sampson during the NLTD sounds like. I was being optimistic for it being ready  but oh well we will make due . It was my understanding you don't pay when Sampson is reopened  if you are camped , correct?

anybody thinks this place will open by the trout derby should go for a ride and see whats got to get down here. My opinion I have no idea if my camping pass will let me launch for free. I have to wait and see. If I have to pay. I will get the season launch pass. like I keep saying every time I see a major improvement I have to pay. I think private money is paying for this marina. the state might have some say here but the private company will have the upper hand. I wish the state would sell off the campground to a private camping resort and turn it into a first class camping resort with season camping permits. I think 30 years from now this place is going  to be what I just said. this is the best camping spot on any of the finger lakes. I have 4 weeks of camping time reserved, If I want to fish I have to go north or south.  wait and see what happens. who knows I might cancel out and go up to old forge for the summer. 

Man...they are really going at it....:yes: I added some contrast to the pics to see if maybe they will show a little more detail. Thanks for posting them Nick:yes:

FB_IMG_1556284688981.thumb.jpeg.dc4e061d93b440748bbdcc3f1d7b13e8.jpeg

FB_IMG_1556284691603.thumb.jpeg.a4ebef1a5374c73bee10a8ccb75eb4d9.jpeg

FB_IMG_1556284693624.thumb.jpeg.5314c5c3189d218976dc99b46503b769.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out our new marina yesterday.  had a talk with a very reliable source. first its looking good. they got a lot done the last two weeks. my source said it should be done by mid June lol. I did learn this outfit is taking over this place for 40 years. the state is giving up the big field in front of the marina from the woods on the south side of the park. the state is only taking the campground. the state will have full control of the campground. the state will have no control of the marina and all buildings from the woods south a few miles. that means no more over flow camping next year. if you come in the park and just want to camp or walk around you come under the park rules. if you want to use the marina. you have to deal with them. the state will have no say. this year will be the same. next year new ball game. this place is going to change. its not going to be the same old Sampson state park. be glad we got somebody to come in and put some money in this place. we need it.

They have the road now. the road leading to the marina. the state gave up half the park. I think the concession stand is going too along with those 7 cabins we see now. the area they took starts from the woods along the campsites the overflow field and about 2 miles south past those 7 cabins. who knows what they have planed for that open field. I tried to get more information but she was tight lip. I give it 10 years. the state will sell off the campground too. you heard season campsites up north. I hope they bring them here too. this is a good deal for us. I know i'm going to need the season launch permit here. I can see the hand writing on the wall.  

Change in and of itself is usually a mixed bag of emotions and opinions.:smile:. I fished at the marina for perch since about 1967 or so and camped there with my kids from about mid seventies onward and launched my boat(s) at the marina right up until current times not just during the many derbies but Summer and Fall. There is a lot of nostalgia connected with that area for me and my family. With that said I have also been very disheartened by the condition of the marina especially in recent years. The state has been very resistant to improvement of the park and it certainly wasn't anything to do with the staff out there as my interactions with them have always been positive. Something certainly needed to be done out there to "resurrect" the marina to continue its viability. On the other hand, as far as private ownership of the marina it is a "wait and see" situation for me. I'm not real thrilled with the concept itself of public land and resources being turned over to private business but something had to be done since it didn't look as though the state would do anything in the foreseeable future. Let's hope it turns out to be a plus for all of us. I will however deeply miss the Fall perch fishing out there where for years often I had it pretty much to myself as most folks were out hunting:lol: which I gave up years ago so I could fish then."the times they are a changing":smile:

Edited by Sk8man

This will be the last year for overflow camping. next year when the new company takes over they will control the open field. who knows what they plan to do with the land. the state had no interest maintaining an open field along with 7 cabins. look around ny state. a lot of parks are falling apart. they all need money. ny is broke. only way to improve this problem  sell off the parks system to private interest and let them run it. our state government is to big. special interest get the money all we get out of it is higher taxes and more government control put on us. I wish I could cut ny city away from the earth and let it drift out in the ocean.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...