Who hits the ice for lakers?

Looking for a few tips on hitting the finger lakes for lakers? Do a lot of pike and perch through the ice and want to step outside my comfort zone this year. All info is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Canadice and Hemlock are you best bets for a lake trout lake that will freeze.  I like using White 3" or 5" mr twisters on a 1oz jig head.  A flasher is a must.  Once you see a fish on the flasher, drop the jig down 5' from them and start to retrieve it making them chase it.  I use 30" medium action ice rods with 10lb braid and a 10lb floro leader. 

• Like 1

i fish keuka  quite a bit.  Fishing perch is boring to me now haha  but i drill holes and jig and move till i find them.   usie a big cast master or jigging rapala.  a flasher  is a big help but if i find them  my buddies fishing near me  get them jigging blind also.   dont jig nice and easy like you do for perch,   change it up.   big jigs let it sink  do a couple slow jigs  then a few  rapid ones let it sit for a second and jig again. if using a flasher  get jig near them then jig it away with a fast rip, let it sink.   just feel their mood for the day.  some days  they want a little swim on the rapalas and some days the big cast master and big yanks gets em going!  its  a lot of fun especially when you can get them  100 plus feet down!

i fish keuka  quite a bit.  Fishing perch is boring to me now haha  but i drill holes and jig and move till i find them.   usie a big cast master or jigging rapala.  a flasher  is a big help but if i find them  my buddies fishing near me  get them jigging blind also.   dont jig nice and easy like you do for perch,   change it up.   big jigs let it sink  do a couple slow jigs  then a few  rapid ones let it sit for a second and jig again. if using a flasher  get jig near them then jig it away with a fast rip, let it sink.   just feel their mood for the day.  some days  they want a little swim on the rapalas and some days the big cast master and big yanks gets em going!  its  a lot of fun especially when you can get them  100 plus feet down!

AWESOME!! I don’t have a flasher yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Some good descriptive info in the above posts. Just as in perch and panfish jigging everyone has their favorite "moves":smile: The use of a flasher was mentioned and for this type of fishing (e.g. over deep water) it can be VERY useful and instructional. Just peering down the hole in the shallow water for perch you can learn volumes about perch and panfish behavior and that is something that can make a ton of difference in results jigging. Unfortunately it isn't that easy in 80-150 ft of water so that is where the portable flasher or other more sophisticated unit comes in. Joe mentioned some of the jigging things to try, and although jigging "blind" can yield results  the other half of equation for consistent success is figuring out the behavior of the fish in general and the one you are after in particular.The flasher gives you this "eyesight" capability in the deep water. On the flasher especially with a ZOOM function you are able to "see" the fish in terms of its relative distance from the jig/bait and assess movement toward or away from it in response to your jigging movement (e.g. the ones like Joe mentioned). You get to make judgments about which specific movements the fish is responding to or being turned off by and with experience you can tel when they are about to bite which is a pretty cool advantage. On a more sophisticated graphic display you can gain other important information such as  a clearer definition of the position of the fish, and its path toward or away from the jig, the "following" path and a little better idea of its location near bottom or suspended etc. and again you are able to judge whether the fish is interested in the specific jigging movements you are making and allows you to experiment. It is excciting as H watching the different behaviors of the fish and it can be quite different for  the different species. I have caught Atlantics in shallow water on the Fingers for example only a foot or two under the ice while looking down the hole visually, and if I had not been doing so I never would have known they were there as they just sucked in my perch jig without moving even the line itself

Edited by Sk8man

I jig lakers A LOT during the winter.  I use electronics but since you don't have a flasher here is what you do.  This may seem a little crazy but it works! Drill two holes 15ft from each other, run one rod in right hand and one in the left.  Put white tube jigs on each of the rods with 1/2 jig heads.  Drop 1st rod all the way to the bottom and then walk to other hole and drop that rod all the way to the bottom.  Walk back and forth from hole to hole until one BITES! A lot of times they will hit it on the fall.  I used to use this technique all the time before I started fishing with flashers.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:35 AM, Sk8man said:

Some good descriptive info in the above posts. Just as in perch and panfish jigging everyone has their favorite "moves":smile: The use of a flasher was mentioned and for this type of fishing (e.g. over deep water) it can be VERY useful and instructional. Just peering down the hole in the shallow water for perch you can learn volumes about perch and panfish behavior and that is something that can make a ton of difference in results jigging. Unfortunately it isn't that easy in 80-150 ft of water so that is where the portable flasher or other more sophisticated unit comes in. Joe mentioned some of the jigging things to try, and although jigging "blind" can yield results  the other half of equation for consistent success is figuring out the behavior of the fish in general and the one you are after in particular.The flasher gives you this "eyesight" capability in the deep water. On the flasher especially with a ZOOM function you are able to "see" the fish in terms of its relative distance from the jig/bait and assess movement toward or away from it in response to your jigging movement (e.g. the ones like Joe mentioned). You get to make judgments about which specific movements the fish is responding to or being turned off by and with experience you can tel when they are about to bite which is a pretty cool advantage. On a more sophisticated graphic display you can gain other important information such as  a clearer definition of the position of the fish, and its path toward or away from the jig, the "following" path and a little better idea of its location near bottom or suspended etc. and again you are able to judge whether the fish is interested in the specific jigging movements you are making and allows you to experiment. It is excciting as H watching the different behaviors of the fish and it can be quite different for  the different species. I have caught Atlantics in shallow water on the Fingers for example only a foot or two under the ice while looking down the hole visually, and if I had not been doing so I never would have known they were there as they just sucked in my perch jig without moving even the line itself

I have fished a lot for landlocked salmon through the ice, I always have my best catches from 1 foot to 4 feet under the ice.

West side of Owasco, take Ensenore road down to the lake. There is a little point there where people will be fishing for lakers. Roughly 100 fow. I usually set tips with large shiners and then jig with white superfluke on a 1oz gammaball jig head #4 sharp hook or if not happening then dead stik a minnow. Conditions have to get cold to freeze all that water.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...