Predator 2018-2019

whaler1

I just bought a bunch of equipment for hunting dogs (electronic caller, scope mounted red light, head lamp red light, and a sit n spin decoy).  Hoping to get out a handful of times this winter when everything arrives, but it will be my first time doing it.  Any tips for a beginner?

How long do you do a calling sequence for?

How far away should you put the decoy?

What does your favorite setup look like?

If you have any good online articles, i would be more than happy to spend some time reading up on it!  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Guppy35 said:

I just bought a bunch of equipment for hunting dogs (electronic caller, scope mounted red light, head lamp red light, and a sit n spin decoy).  Hoping to get out a handful of times this winter when everything arrives, but it will be my first time doing it.  Any tips for a beginner?

How long do you do a calling sequence for? (start with a mouse squeaker- a fox or yote might be right there, then I will call for maybe 40 min)

How far away should you put the decoy? ( I like to set up the decoy on the edge of brush- mature yotes do not like to come out of cover in general)

What does your favorite setup look like? (caller as far from shooter #1 as possible, shooter #2 60yds down wind of shooter #1- to pick up a yote investigating call/decoy by coming in down wind.

If you have any good online articles, i would be more than happy to spend some time reading up on it!  Thanks. (anything by Andrew Lewand only read stuff on eastern coyote, the western stuff just doesn't apply here. I always carry a shotgun and a rifle. #4 buck is the ticket in brush.

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to learn how to call predators don't start in the spots you want to hunt long term. As you will invariably educate every predator in the area at first. I'd skip the night hunting and go early in the morning on super cold crisp mornings after a hard blow. If you go at night go back in the morning and look for tracks...that's how you learn how they bust you and how to set up differently. Common rookie mistakes are over calling, calling too loud, and not patiently waiting a solid half hour after you call. A couple soft squeaks from the squeaker in a dogs chew toy combined with some patience on a cold morning will probably call more yotes than the top of the line electronic caller and all the commercial lights and decoys on the market. You set up and watch one way...if you think you can swivel around and move looking for a coyote you are gonna get busted often. Coyotes KEY in on any movement. If you are completely still they won't see you. Obviously the best spots are ones you can access undetected and get near a coyote. Fox hunting is way more action and more run and gun and calling coyotes is far more difficult.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

If you really want to learn how to call predators don't start in the spots you want to hunt long term. As you will invariably educate every predator in the area at first. I'd skip the night hunting and go early in the morning on super cold crisp mornings after a hard blow. If you go at night go back in the morning and look for tracks...that's how you learn how they bust you and how to set up differently. Common rookie mistakes are over calling, calling too loud, and not patiently waiting a solid half hour after you call. A couple soft squeaks from the squeaker in a dogs chew toy combined with some patience on a cold morning will probably call more yotes than the top of the line electronic caller and all the commercial lights and decoys on the market. You set up and watch one way...if you think you can swivel around and move looking for a coyote you are gonna get busted often. Coyotes KEY in on any movement. If you are completely still they won't see you. Obviously the best spots are ones you can access undetected and get near a coyote. Fox hunting is way more action and more run and gun and calling coyotes is far more difficult.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X'2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I used to go with my dad's friend when I was young and he had the old green cassette tape caller and just used the gray fox pup in distress tape at night.  It worked great on fox and they would come running hard from across a field and if the moon was bright you could seem em coming from a ways off.  We taped a big flashlight to the shotgun and it seemed like we kill one every so often but miss plenty as they came running in.  There weren't any coyotes around then but plenty of fox.  We have lots of coyotes around my house now but the few times I've tried calling them never had any luck but see plenty when I'm deer hunting.