Helix 7 for trolling?

Hey all. I've been very interested in getting one of these units probably because I have been suckered into their marketing and also the units looks very slick and really did not like that my old lowrance frequently freezes up. Not to mention there are some great deals on right now with the newest models coming out very soon.

On a recent discussion with a shop clerk i was told that Navico owns all the big brands including lowrance and that everyone not Navico essentially buys the rights to use Navico software and produces sub par products.

Can anyone comment specifically on experience with using hummingbirds for trolling for Salmon and walleye and if they have any trouble marking their cannon balls, fish, etc. at Lake Ontario depths? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gowiththefloat said:

Hey all. I've been very interested in getting one of these units probably because I have been suckered into their marketing and also the units looks very slick and really did not like that my old lowrance frequently freezes up. Not to mention there are some great deals on right now with the newest models coming out very soon.

On a recent discussion with a shop clerk i was told that Navico owns all the big brands including lowrance and that everyone not Navico essentially buys the rights to use Navico software and produces sub par products.

Can anyone comment specifically on experience with using hummingbirds for trolling for Salmon and walleye and if they have any trouble marking their cannon balls, fish, etc. at Lake Ontario depths? Thanks in advance!

I have a Helix 7 and Helix 9 (both G2N CHIRP units), I can see my rigger balls down to like 90ft or so. Deeper than that I think I get too much blowback to see them. But I'm only running 12lb weights. Last year I ran 10lbs and could only see them to like 60ft, if you run 14lb+ you shouldn't have any problems. I have no problems marking fish or the bottom either. Can't say I have ever heard of Navico and others producing sub-par products. My guess is the clerk prolly had alot of Lowrance units in stock and was trying to move them.

Edited by FishingFool34

Navico doesn't own Humminbird. Navico owns Lowrance, Simrad, and B&G.

I've ran Humminbird units for many years. Even before I joined their Pro Team. The HELIX units are a quality unit packed with great features. For trolling you don't need DI or SI. I tell most guys to just buy their sonar/GPS models. Actually, the G2 models just had their MAP pricing lifted so you can get some great deals on them as the G3 units start to roll out. I run an AIRMAR thru-hull ducer on one boat, and a Humminbird transom mount on my other boat. Both are great ducers. On the thru-hull I can mark bait while running, and my cannon balls as deep as I want to. I can even mark my flasher down 250'. Not to toot my horn, but If you have any questions about Humminbird I'm sort of the local guru. Most manufacturers units will do everything you want it to do these days. It just gets down to understanding their units and how to navigate the menus. There are some VERY good videos on YouTube from a few guys that walk you through how to tweak your Humminbirds.

• Like 1

I have a Helix 7 and Helix 9 (both G2N CHIRP units), I can see my rigger balls down to like 90ft or so. Deeper than that I think I get too much blowback to see them. But I'm only running 12lb weights. Last year I ran 10lbs and could only see them to like 60ft, if you run 14lb+ you shouldn't have any problems. I have no problems marking fish or the bottom either. Can't say I have ever heard of Navico and others producing sub-par products. My guess is the clerk prolly had alot of Lowrance units in stock and was trying to move them.
Thanks. Yes I'm thinking they probably get a good volume deal on lowrance units

Navico doesn't own Humminbird. Navico owns Lowrance, Simrad, and B&G.

I've ran Humminbird units for many years. Even before I joined their Pro Team. The HELIX units are a quality unit packed with great features. For trolling you don't need DI or SI. I tell most guys to just buy their sonar/GPS models. Actually, the G2 models just had their MAP pricing lifted so you can get some great deals on them as the G3 units start to roll out. I run an AIRMAR thru-hull ducer on one boat, and a Humminbird transom mount on my other boat. Both are great ducers. On the thru-hull I can mark bait while running, and my cannon balls as deep as I want to. I can even mark my flasher down 250'. Not to toot my horn, but If you have any questions about Humminbird I'm sort of the local guru. Most manufacturers units will do everything you want it to do these days. It just gets down to understanding their units and how to navigate the menus. There are some VERY good videos on YouTube from a few guys that walk you through how to tweak your Humminbirds.
Thanks for your input. The through hull ducers are a new concept to me and i will do some more reading about them.

What I meant to say was not that Navico owns every big brand but that they own the software and own those companies that you referenced above. I was told that the other companies like Hummin and Garmin are just leasing the sonar /other software from Navico and produce their own hardware.

Please define MAP.

What do you mean when you say that you can mark bait when running? . Does this mean at 30mph or just while trolling.?

Please also describe the performance on your regular ducer that is not a through hull.

Thanks again

12 hours ago, Gowiththefloat said:

Thanks for your input. The through hull ducers are a new concept to me and i will do some more reading about them.

What I meant to say was not that Navico owns every big brand but that they own the software and own those companies that you referenced above. I was told that the other companies like Hummin and Garmin are just leasing the sonar /other software from Navico and produce their own hardware.

Please define MAP.

What do you mean when you say that you can mark bait when running? . Does this mean at 30mph or just while trolling.?

Please also describe the performance on your regular ducer that is not a through hull.

Thanks again

MAP pricing is pricing manufacturers set so no one can sell under the price they set without losing their ability to sell their products. Now that it is lifted on the Gen2 series you can find them very cheap.

Yes, I can see bait while on plane. Once you understand what to look for. Its works better with a thru-hull but I noticed my stock Humminbird HD transom ducer was showing me this over the weekend on my Lund. I'll add pics from this weekend on mt stock ducer performance.

Pics from a stock transom mount Humminbird transducer.

We released a fish and it swam to bottom.

IMG_20181117_100835.jpeg

School of Walleye streaking

IMG_20181117_092244.jpeg

School of Walleye

IMG_20181117_090404.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 1

I bought a new boat and have a gen 3 lowrance hd12 with a through haul transducer. I can mark bait cruising and I really like that unit lots of bells and whistles. On my older boat I had a Helix 10 standard hummingbird transducer. The ease of use was great, fishing marking was great, gps with standard mapping chip was great. They mark fish very similar but the Helix brand is much more affordable. My opion is they are both great units can’t go wrong with either. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had my first chance to use this unit on the ice today at lake simcoe Ontario. I didn't buy the ice ducer, just rigged up the boat ducer with some hardware. Let me tell you it did not disappoint. We marked all four lines in our hut very clearly and marked a few good fish. Wish I took photos the screen for you guys. I am very pleased so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Yankee,

i noticed on your pic of your Lund you have a bow mount trolling motor. Is your Helix attached to the trolling motor for auto pilot ?

hoping to buy a minkota and helix for auto pilot and anchor and would be nice to hear from someone who has this setup.

thanks

21 minutes ago, Jack said:

Yankee,

i noticed on your pic of your Lund you have a bow mount trolling motor. Is your Helix attached to the trolling motor for auto pilot ?

hoping to buy a minkota and helix for auto pilot and anchor and would be nice to hear from someone who has this setup.

thanks

I have 3 HELIX's and my Terrova all networked together. The HELIX with the Lakemaster card is the one that allows me to follow contours, but any of them can spot lock me or tell the trolling motor to go on Auto-Pilot. If you don't care about the new Bluetooth model (basically your phone connects to it) I have a Terrova 72" 112lb for sale. 

13 minutes ago, dukhnter8 said:

Hey Yankee,

What's the main difference between the G2 and G3 and is it worth getting the G3? Looking at a helix 7 also.

With the G3 units you get MEGA imaging further, and dual spectrum CHIRP. IMHO if you can find a Gen2 on closeout grab it.

20 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

With the G3 units you get MEGA imaging further, and dual spectrum CHIRP. IMHO if you can find a Gen2 on closeout grab it.

Just an FYI, if you're looking to connect your Terrova to a helix 7 via ipilot Link, you will need a G2N Helix 7. The G2 version is not compatible with ipilot Link.

11 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

Just an FYI, if you're looking to connect your Terrova to a helix 7 via ipilot Link, you will need a G2N Helix 7. The G2 version is not compatible with ipilot Link.

Correct. Any HB you want to connect to a Minn Kota TM needs to have the 'N' in it. That basically means it's a "networkable" unit. To network HELIX units you will need to buy an additional Ethernet dongle.

Edited by Yankee Troller

1 minute ago, Yankee Troller said:

Correct. Any HB you want to connect to a Minn Kota TM needs to have the 'N' in it. That basically means it's a "networkable" unit.

That is correct for the newer helix units, but ipilot Link is also compatible with Solix units, Onix units and a good number of the older legacy units too (ie. 1199ci, 788ci, etc). Here is the compatibility list from Humminbird.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/compatibility/i-pilot-link

• Like 1