Hemlock 2018 Hemlock netting survey

Sk8man

They do include additional information in the Angler Diary reports but I collect data for only Seneca, Keuka and Canandaigua in Region 8 so unfortunately I don't get the reports for there.

Edited by Sk8man

They netted at the end of June.  They likely netted at the bottom in relatively deep water, as the lake was likely starting to strongly stratify.  Rainbows, browns and walleyes would be unlikely to be in that "slice" of the lake, they would still be shallower.

On 11/22/2018 at 7:25 AM, Lucky13 said:

They netted at the end of June.  They likely netted at the bottom in relatively deep water, as the lake was likely starting to strongly stratify.  Rainbows, browns and walleyes would be unlikely to be in that "slice" of the lake, they would still be shallower.

Or they simply did not report on them. Wondering if any walleyes are left ? All giants in there no reproduction..

The DEC struggles to net and shock walleyes in many cases. Nets arent in long and if they miss the depth or location it's a wash. I keep saying this but those studies won't help you catch and are misleading as often or more than helpful. You aren't going to learn anything profound reading DEC reports at home.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trouthunter24 said:

Or they simply did not report on them. Wondering if any walleyes are left ? All giants in there no reproduction..

I caught a 27 incher a few years back.  I mentioned this fish to Matt Sanderson of Region 8.  He told me that every year they get a couple of reports, same area of the lake (sorry, you'll have to get Mr Okrepki to tell you where that is, he knows everything about walleyes!:smile:), similar sizes.  They know there is some limited reproduction going on as they have not stocked walleyes in a very long time in there.  They will not increase this population through stocking as their surveys indicated that the majority of the angling population favored maintenance of Hemlock as a trout fishery. 

I would guess they didn’t catch much besides lake trout. The tilted of the report says lake trout survey. I saw gill netting done in a Canadian lake I fish every year. All they caught was lake trout but that lake has walleye and bass also. They said the nets were too deep for walleye and othe fish. 

On 11/26/2018 at 11:06 AM, Lucky13 said:

I caught a 27 incher a few years back.  I mentioned this fish to Matt Sanderson of Region 8.  He told me that every year they get a couple of reports, same area of the lake (sorry, you'll have to get Mr Okrepki to tell you where that is, he knows everything about walleyes!:smile:), similar sizes.  They know there is some limited reproduction going on as they have not stocked walleyes in a very long time in there.  They will not increase this population through stocking as their surveys indicated that the majority of the angling population favored maintenance of Hemlock as a trout fishery. 

I was lucky enough to have a couple anglers communicate a common location walleyes are caught it is more to do with depth for sure walleyes are much shallower than expected but i never cared . I take great pride in knowing i was a vocal regular there that insisted it stay a stable trout fishery.  

The proper depth is probably the most important factor in finding eyes, but the frustrating part is how dramatically that depth can change day to day or not change. Even if you are out there day after day often times it seems like you are starting over every day. Just when you "figure" it out things change. As anglers we would love to be able to have a few less variables and some species are easier than others to fit into a consistent pattern. Walleye in the finger lakes are just plain difficult. There are many places easier to catch and pattern walleye...like anywhere except the finger lakes.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Often it is tempting to say " I think I have these fish figured out" but then next time out you have poor results or get skunked. It strikes me that being able to catch your limit of the biggest possible fish every time out would spoil the sport and the experience of fishing. The very thing that "hooks" us is the challenge of trying to figure them out, and the intermittant reinforcement of catching a bunch of them once in awhile or the infrequent big ones. It may be different if someone is benefitting financially from fishing where money might become the actual goal of the activity (e.g. perch selling etc.). The real hooking feature of fishing is not knowing what is going to happen out there, and doing something to make what you want happen. It is really the same principle as pulling the lever on a slot machine and seeing the three stars come up and sometimes it seems like the same odds apply. The Finger Lakes live up to all of those same expectations. Walleyes and perch are peculiar crittters and I am convinced at this point in life that nobody has them totally figured out yet.:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

• 4 months later...