Merc 150s

Hello!

I’m boat shopping and one I’m looking is a 2011 with a merc 150 opti max direct injection 2 stroke on it. It’s has pretty low hours from what I understand. I’ve been focused on getting something with a 4 stroke motor. Can someone tell me what to expect different between the  opti max vs a newer 4 stroke 150? That would include comparing performance, fuel usage and dependability...

Thanks! Paul A.

I have a 2008 merc 150. Mine is a efi,not the opti max. I bought it new. The first year it acted up and they replaced all the coils under warranty. I change the plugs and filters every year and the impeller every other. It has never failed or been in the shop for anything. (I probably just jinxed it) My 18 foot boat can just hit 50mph. I have no numbers but it seems to use a lot of fuel. I use a gallon of 2 stroke oil a year. IMG_1389.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I have had my 135 Opti (2002) since new  and it is basically the same engine as the 150. It sips gas and is actually more economical than my previous 35 hp Johnson if kept in normal range of operation....top end easily in the 40's. Oil use is also conservative. When I had it serviced a couple years ago the marina owner (didn't buy it there) who knows as much about Mercs as anyone told me "The Optimax is the one to own very few problems with them... great motor" After 14 years of use  compression in all cylinders were exactly what they should be (350 hours on it at the time) and he said " I could take one out of the showroom and it wouldn't be any different". I have used the Merc Optimax oil since day 1 and only non-ethanol gas and have used stabilizer year round in it since day one. Only one problem in all those years and it was on me....ran the same impeller/water pump for 13 years:lol: I nearly always use it for getting from place to place etc. and seldom troll with it as I have always used my 9.9 kicker for that, but it can troll down to 1.7 mph (540 rpms). I have a high performance SS Mirage prop. Likewise hoping I am not jinxing myself. I'm sure a lot depends on how the motor has been taken care of 

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

13 years is pretty good impeller life! Mine failed after the first year. The boat was still under warranty so I took it to the dealership where they nailed me $300 for it because impellers aren’t covered. I was kind of shocked to see the manual said to replace it yearly. Changing it every other year has worked for me though. I can do it in 20 minutes now.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yep I guess I missed that in the manual way back when:smile: I do think that the 0ne year thing is a bit conservative though the Merc mechanic told me every two to three years should be fine.

I was told by a mechanic that because the impellers are made of a nylon or plastic material when they sit for long periods of time as in over the winter during storage they can get ever so slightly deformed with extreme changes in temperature and sitting an a single position and that is all it takes to make them fail to operate properly

I was told by a mechanic that because the impellers are made of a nylon or plastic material when they sit for long periods of time as in over the winter during storage they can get ever so slightly deformed with extreme changes in temperature and sitting an a single position and that is all it takes to make them fail to operate properly

Makes sense. Maybe I’ll start turning the motor over every couple weeks in the winter. Sure I will [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app