Tie mono to 7 strand dipsey wire

Fishstix

Usually every time out my dipsey wire gets pigtailed and I end up cutting it back and re tieing.I have seen

where guys would tie a piece of braid on the end of the wire to prevent this. I would like to try this with 40 lb test mono.

I don't fish Ontario anymore so I don't get the big salmon rips. I have the mono ,I don't have the braid.On line

It shows Tieing this with a Albright knot . I usually run 4 diver setups so tieing becomes a pain. 

I run  snubbers but I broke two this year on fish .That will be another subject this winter.

Anyone run mono between the wire and the dipsey?

Stix - Just my opinion based on my own experience rather than hard data but I would first revisit the issue right from point one. Early on I used to use snubbers and then started having problems with them mainly breakoffs as you mention, and I then considered them just one more potential weak link in the chain to contend with and I stopped using them and have never looked back. A second thing to examine closely is the particular swivel snap you are using. It should be heavy duty (e.g. larger than the usual ones for other setups) with solid ring and high quality ballbearing. Rather than using the snubber approach for "give" or "stretch" in the dipsy to wire set-up use mono for the leader to lure and from dipsy to attractor. There is just enough stretch to help prevent break-offs, and it provides enough strength for decent hook-ups. I generally use 40 on Fingers and 50 on Lake O. If you use sectional rods or solid ones use a small bunji ( Iuse the things below for sectional rods etc.) from the terminal end of the swivel to an eyelet or wherever you hook to as it can help minimize the curly cues, but 7 strand wire regardless of brand is prone to it to some degree and lower pound test (e.g. 30 lb) in particular. Using Spin Doctors seems to increase the liklihood of the curlies too in my view but because of their success I can live with having to trim the wire once in awhile. I don't think just adding mono between to wire and the dipsy alone will give what you are looking for. I'm sure not trying to second guess you as I know you are a very competent and successful fisherman so this is not the "Word Of God" :smile: merely a suggestion for further thought based on my own experience with the issue over the years.

gearwraps.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Your best bet is to run a small swivel when you connect the two. Albright knot would be my go to if I tried a knot, but I'd think that wire would eventually cut its way through. I know a bunch of Rochester captains who run exactly what your trying to do.

47 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

Your best bet is to run a small swivel when you connect the two. Albright knot would be my go to if I tried a knot, but I'd think that wire would eventually cut its way through. I know a bunch of Rochester captains who run exactly what your trying to do.

Exactly what I'm thinking, and then if you tie that small swivel, if you have a roller tip, you need to watch out for it, don't reel it right up, or you will ruin that rod.

Plus, mono stretches, so you might have a problem popping dipseys if you need to retrieve that line ... although it won't be as bad as having 200 ft of it out.

I'd not put on mono for those two very reasons, and just put braid.  There's very few right ways, other than the right way.

• 2 weeks later...