Oneida Eyes 11-2-08

Well, quit a crisp morning 22 degrees @ the launch & the lake was steaming (surface temp around 49 degrees). Motored for about four miles @ 40 mph until I could feel the cold creeping in. Was just East of the waypoints from yesterday in about 44' of water with an East wind building to 8 mph or so. Took a three man limit of eyes in about 2.5 hours. Everything blue worked today . Took fish on all presentations - boards, dipsey's & riggers set at 35' down, dipsey's out 80' on a 3 setting w/30 lb mono & 14 lb flouro leaders, boards back 150' & out 100', three sinkers & a deep diver. Fish were bigger today, I brought a 23.5" eye to the net to finish the three man limit (just shy of . 4 lbs, see photo below).

OneidaEyes11-2-08005.jpg

OneidaEyes11-2-08008.jpg

kremer;

I do believe you are correct, must have gotten my photobucket pic's scrambled.

Not many people sharing their Oneida Lake trip reports lately, lots of lurkers though! Wish more people would post.

I will see if i can make an edit on the photo.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Were you out fishing this weekend? If so, where & how did you make out?

John

Johnnywalleye;

Thanks for the thumbs up!

They are there for the taking now.

The fish fry last Sunday was delicious, fresh onion rings, & hand cut Youkon gold french fries too!!!!!

Am looking to get out there again this weekend, if the rain holds off enough. Only need a few hours now to boat a limit.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally fish Oneida much in the Spring, but they are still there, & it seems like the jig & minnow, nightcrawler, leech approach is used more this time of the year. I am fishing Lake Ontario almost exclusively in the Spring. I fish for the eyes after I quit on lake Ontario in September. The Eyes go on their fall feeding frenzy at this time, although it was much later this year. Maybe somone will answer your post with more detail for the Spring.

John

Tight lipped :shock: .. the folks are a little guarded. Fall fishing is still strong ... but it felt more like ice fishing this evening. The boat is put away but the waders are getting a good work out. The fall "season" did start later this year .. not sure why - either the water temerpature or the fact there was still so much bait out deep kept them out deep :?: . anyway they are fat and feeding. As for the spring season;I think fishing was great this past year - you just have to find them. As for when it starts, the opener works for me. Some years they do go into thier post spawn shut down but it depends a lot on the weather factors each year. I group the folks that chase them into 3 groups .. the guys who jig deep, the guys who like the shallow weed beds (jigs and spinner worm rigs) and the guys that troll. Everyone seemed to be doing well this past year. The Oneida Lake fishery seems to be pretty healthy :D ...

Some of the folks here are tight lipped, as can be seen by all the views on the posts I have been doing with photo's. There are more eye's in Oneida than can be caught. If you think that is not true, go to the Constantia hatchery when they are harvesting the eggs. Take a walk up to the dam & see the wall to wall eyes just finning in the current.

ConstantiaWalleyesScrbaCreek4-22-07.jpg

ConstantiaWalleyesScrbaCreek4-22-1.jpg

Some of the folks here are tight lipped, as can be seen by all the views on the posts I have been doing with photo's. There are more eye's in Oneida than can be caught. If you think that is not true, go to the Constantia hatchery when they are harvesting the eggs. Take a walk up to the dam & see the wall to wall eyes just finning in the current.

SWEEEEET!!!!!..... Iceman, See you on the ice, let us know when you have some safe ice to fish for those wallys and perch...........Thanks