Copper set up question

The wife is asking me what I want for Christmas. I have never fish with copper before and want to try on my new boat this year. I'm looking at the priest build setups at Captain Chuck. I see they come with drag upgrades. Would it be safe to buy the convector or should I go with a better real. Also what length setup should I go with and Rod recommendations. I will run one copper off each side on boards thank you to all

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I’m not going to share an opinion on the rod/reel choices, but I’d recommend the newer weighted steel lines over copper. Sink rates are effectively very similar, but it’s so much easier to work with than copper. I’d recommend a 300 and a 400 if you are doing just two.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The wife is asking me what I want for Christmas. I have never fish with copper before and want to try on my new boat this year. I'm looking at the priest build setups at Captain Chuck. I see they come with drag upgrades. Would it be safe to buy the convector or should I go with a better real. Also what length setup should I go with and Rod recommendations. I will run one copper off each side on boards thank you to all

I would suggest one of the high speed convectors if you're leaning towards Okuma. 300' and 400' is a good place to start. Okuma also has copper specific rods .

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Copper works, but it is work. That's all I have to say about that. If you have an energetic crew, go for it. If you will be fishing solo much, throw it overboard as quickly as possible, and forget it. 2 wire dipsys and 2 riggers will keep 2 guys busy if there is a decent bite on. Many will disagree. Just my 2 cents Jon.

• Like 1

Wire dipsy / copper tangles are a real nightmare. I call copper " the saw". Expensive, time and money wise, and demoralizing. And in boat traffic, add factor a three. Off of big boards, out of your spread, go for it if you have the manpower. You will see what I mean. You have to try it though, I know !

It will get you deeper than lead core, 22' down per 100' out seems to be the common wisdom for 45# copper. Lead core is roughly 5' down per 30' out at 1.8- 2 mph, using 18# or 27# mason or Cortland Kerplunk. Deadly on browns before they go deep. Easier to deal with tangles. But you will max out shallower than copper depth wise.

13 hours ago, fishinfreak said: