Furuno 585

I've been considering upgrading the sonar unit on my boat, and have been looking at the Furuno 585, among others. Do any of you have one, and if so, how do you like it? Have there been any issues with it? Would you recommend upgrading to the 1kw transducer, or is the 600 w transducer enough?

Any feedback you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks guys. I've talked to a couple of guys who own the 585 and they have the 600w 'ducer and say it has plenty of power. I have 500w RMS on my current sonar, and it's nice, but I'd like a bit more zip. The 1kw 'ducer is something like $400 more than the 600w model, so it's kinda hard to justify, especially when I hear good t hings about the 600w. They're both running the thru-hull 'ducer, which is my plan too.

I'll let you know what I decide...it'll be a mid-summer project at the earliest.

Thanks again,

Bill

Billy, Do you have a place to get one yet? Let me know and I will give you the place that Erin and I got ours from. He will ship free and you will have it the nextday. I oredered my GPS from also, he knows his stuff and will answer all of your questions. Let me know.

Rich

I surf the GLA site and have seen those reviews too, thanks!

I've been going through Northeast Marine Electronics for several years now, but given the cost of this unit, I'm willing to shop around for the best price.

I recently bought an FCV582L and onlinefishfinders.com had the best price. Just checked and their price was $1090 for the 585 whereas the Northeast Marine Price was $1140.

Jeff @ onlinefishfinders will work with you to get you the best price - no tax free shipping, etc.

Clarke

Billy,

I pm'd Jim last night and told him about the FF you were interested in and told me he would meet anyones price, and he was looking forward to talking to you if you so desire to give him a call. I will do my Electronics business with him from now on. I look up the prices everywhere else and he will meet them and then send it to you for free overnight, if it is over $400.00. Good Luck.

Rich

Guest guppy2

Hi Billy...just a quick note about Furuno customer service.I had to send both of my units back for warranty work.The units work flawlessly but I don't.I cracked the in/out plug on our fishfinder.To top it of,Cyn did the same with our gps.We sent it to Furuno for repair just over a week ago and they sit in our house today.Everything like new....no questions asked.They also pay the return ship also.We couldn't be happier.....Zeke(Strike 3)

• 6 months later...

Time to revive this old thread...those of you who have the 585, can it be mounted to the roof of a hard-top? The pictures I've seen of it make me think that it's designed for dash-mount only, which would be a bummer.

furuno-fcv-585-color-sounder.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys. I ordered a new 585 today from By Owner Electronics as they had a great sale price on the unit, and RichD and ErbyJoe highly recommended them to me.

Thanks for all your help guys. It's input like this that makes LOU such a valuable resource.

Now, does anyone know of a good electronics installer who can help me with the thru-hull mount?

:)

:)

Billy you won't belive the picture you are going to get.with your boat a thru hull would be great.Jim is having a sale right now here is his site.

http://byownerelectronics.com/store/home.php Have you got you skis all tuned up yet :lol:8) .Good luck with your new finder when you get it it has a demo mode so you can see what it looks like it will help you pass the winter :D

Billy,

Congrats on the new finder, you will love it. I willbe upgrading to the 585 in the future that is for sure. Just remember not to plug in the ducer until you have it in the water, it will burn out real fast. Have a fun winter waiting to get back in the water. lol Welcome to the club.

Rich

Also looking at the 585. But I will need a transom mounted transducer. I will be using it for lake ontario. Which one will best for this use. Thanks for any help you can give me.