2018 trapping season

stoneam2006

Thanks to all , here are a few more more last season . Trapping is very relaxing to me . It's also like Christmas everyday when you check your sets . It's a great way to wind down after work with my son . I also feel so close to nature and God when I am making sets . If you don't trap you should get into it . You will love it . 20181219_165739.thumb.jpeg.55d7f478405f0467ed4abafb7823569d.jpeg20181219_165720.thumb.jpeg.545c8cc07c9bc057fa5d1f8a8e0c3c64.jpeg20181219_165653.thumb.jpeg.9fffd9622fab4b040af7c847eba7c61b.jpeg20181219_165633.thumb.jpeg.b4d2a1cc6b787432fb82793a76160647.jpeg20181219_165454.thumb.jpeg.88957011b7ec34ae0aeb99c21b83e51e.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Awesome! Something about knowing you got the target animal to step in a 3" circle on the entire planet is a feeling that's hard to explain...but once you feel it your hooked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not to get off topic of trapping, what are looking to get $ wise out of one of the Male pups Stone? My perchhound is a 1/2 redbone, running Walker & will be 10 yrs this spring. Old & whiteface. I'm not committing, just thinking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Here's mom and dad awhile back

No doubt. My dog's dad, a redbone, got over 8 kennel fences to pollinate the running Walker. She was also a mean girl. She was a coyote chaser.

Apparently i cannot attach pic...not sure why

That's awesome someday I will train from pup to chase yotes but now time is biggest issue....

Mom's mom and dad were both great coon hunters from what I was told. dad ran yotes with experienced dogs a few times and did alright.

10-4. Mine can still get distracted from a year old squirrel fart in the wind. He's a pet, don't hunt him anymore. He can smell a fish though, when he barks, I stop the boat. 2/3s the time he is right.

Man I wanna take mine on the boat but scares me lol

Short of a long story. I had a 10 yr old carhartt coat, a 8 month old hound, & ice on sodus bay. Took him ice fishing w/ me thinking he'd lay on my old coat & chill out. The 1st perch that came out of the hole, he was a perch hound. I spent the rest of the day tracking my dog, cause he sniffed every hole in the ice for miles. Some guys were ok, some were upset, all would say "your dog went that way"! Found him before dark & the rest is history. He rides up on the bow, when his left leg starts shaking, we'll use the trolling motor & settle in. He sniffed every hole in the ice that day, 100's. He likes to find fish. If you train for coyotes, get 4 dogs. Where I live, they bay them in a culvert pipe under a driveway. 2 dogs on each end.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fishinfreak said:

Thanks to all , here are a few more more last season . Trapping is very relaxing to me . It's also like Christmas everyday when you check your sets . It's a great way to wind down after work with my son . I also feel so close to nature and God when I am making sets . If you don't trap you should get into it . You will love it . 20181219_165739.jpeg20181219_165720.jpeg20181219_165653.jpeg20181219_165633.jpeg20181219_165454.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Me too absolutely love it!! My Dad and I trapped alot around the Roc.airport in the 80s when you could get 30 bucks for an average size raccoon. I put out a few coon sets during archery and realized how much i miss it really connects almost in a spiritual way to the natural world just like archery. We are absolutely polluted with Coyote so time to invest in some seriuos gear maybe score a few every year on our Allegany property.

Yes great pics my Dad and I took tons of trapping pics years ago i still have them man what a great way to unwind its a major stress reliever!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I trapped years ago. About 20 years since I trapped actually, but i used to do quite a bit of it. I trapped  Fox, and beaver mostly, some coon. Thinking about starting again here in New York for Coyotes around where I deer hunt, since there are many coyote tracks. I guess they make you take a trapping course and all that B.S.?

I trapped years ago. About 20 years since I trapped actually, but i used to do quite a bit of it. I trapped  Fox, and beaver mostly, some coon. Thinking about starting again here in New York for Coyotes around where I deer hunt, since there are many coyote tracks. I guess they make you take a trapping course and all that B.S.?
Yep gotta take course it's either 8 or 10 hr....don't remember. Altho if you ever bought a NY licence you may be able to just go get your licence.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Yep gotta take course it's either 8 or 10 hr....don't remember. Altho if you ever bought a NY licence you may be able to just go get your licence.

That's ridiculous in my opinion.  Good old State of NY. There will be many more restrictions to  come from Albany concerning our outdoor sports, I'm afraid.

That's ridiculous in my opinion.  Good old State of NY. There will be many more restrictions to  come from Albany concerning our outdoor sports, I'm afraid.
Classes aren't a bad thing. IMO we have enough people who take the classes and still can't follow the general rules.

The classes go way beyond the rules.  I just checked the website and reviewed the course material. Its bogus. Its for "new" trappers, but they have no way of knowing who is  a "new trapper". It just means for ANY and ALL trappers that have never trapped in New York before 1980, which is when they started this requirement, so basically everyone, no matter your experience or knowledge of the subject. You have  get Albany's blessing. The course materials cover everything from the history of trapping to  how to make sets to how to skin and flesh pelts. This information really has no bearing on whether or not a person can or should trap. I can MAYBE see covering the regulations and how to prevent unwanted catches; thats it, 1 hour or 2 hours tops, and it should be allowed to be completed online. But an 8 hour course, requiring you to travel hundreds of miles? This is nothing more than an appeasement of anti trapping organizations and elements even within the department who oppose trapping.   So, is there a course required to allow us to go fishing? How about Boating? Hunters are grandfathered in, everyone does not have to have to take the NY state hunting safety course. This is all just my opinion, and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who believe everyone should have to complete a state mandated course.  But, as I see it, it is overstepping and restricting our freedoms, slow but sure, it has happened and is happening. When I started trapping in Pennsylvania as a lad, at 12 years old, in the 1970's, I needed no license, no course. I learned by reading books, and by doing it, and by watching my Dad. What has changed? Our freedoms. That's what. We need licenses or permits  to hunt, to fish, to get married, to sell something, to build something,  for virtually everything.  I am not saying we should not require hunter safety training, for OBVIOUS REASONS of having people firing deadly implements on public land. I am not saying we should not have to take drivers training, for OBVIOUS REASONS of having people doing the most dangerous thing we ever do, drive a car on the public roads.  But trapping? Give me a break. Again, my opinion, but the new generations have no idea to the extent they have lost their freedoms from what past generations had.  They just accept it as the norm. 

The classes go way beyond the rules.  I just checked the website and reviewed the course material. Its bogus. Its for "new" trappers, but they have no way of knowing who is  a "new trapper". It just means for ANY and ALL trappers that have never trapped in New York before 1980, which is when they started this requirement, so basically everyone, no matter your experience or knowledge of the subject. You have  get Albany's blessing. The course materials cover everything from the history of trapping to  how to make sets to how to skin and flesh pelts. This information really has no bearing on whether or not a person can or should trap. I can MAYBE see covering the regulations and how to prevent unwanted catches; thats it, 1 hour or 2 hours tops, and it should be allowed to be completed online. But an 8 hour course, requiring you to travel hundreds of miles? This is nothing more than an appeasement of anti trapping organizations and elements even within the department who oppose trapping.   So, is there a course required to allow us to go fishing? How about Boating? Hunters are grandfathered in, everyone does not have to have to take the NY state hunting safety course. This is all just my opinion, and I'm sure there are plenty of folks who believe everyone should have to complete a state mandated course.  But, as I see it, it is overstepping and restricting our freedoms, slow but sure, it has happened and is happening. When I started trapping in Pennsylvania as a lad, at 12 years old, in the 1970's, I needed no license, no course. I learned by reading books, and by doing it, and by watching my Dad. What has changed? Our freedoms. That's what. We need licenses or permits  to hunt, to fish, to get married, to sell something, to build something,  for virtually everything.  I am not saying we should not require hunter safety training, for OBVIOUS REASONS of having people firing deadly implements on public land. I am not saying we should not have to take drivers training, for OBVIOUS REASONS of having people doing the most dangerous thing we ever do, drive a car on the public roads.  But trapping? Give me a break. Again, my opinion, but the new generations have no idea to the extent they have lost their freedoms from what past generations had.  They just accept it as the norm. 
Yep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1