Best wire for divers

J.D.

I will be re-spooling  my wire rods for next year. It's been a while, so looking for suggestions on what to use. I've used Mason and Malin for years, but considering Torpedo and Blood Run. Always used 7 strand wire, but wondering how the 19 strand holds up.

Thanks for your opinions.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by J.D.

I bought a bulk spool (10,000 ft) of 7 strand Blood Run on sale 4 years ago and have had no problems. Loaded several reels for others along with my 3 for about $20 per 1000 ft. Still got enough for a few more. We run 40 or 50 lb mono at the end to eliminate the curly Q's. Before that, I tried the 19 strand Torpedo on one reel and besides being more limp didn't notice any major difference. 

Merry Christmas!  

I've used virtually all of them over more than 50 years of wire fishing including those mentioned already. I think the most important variable is how you keep it tensioned at all times and there are a variety of ways to do it depending on what type of rod you are using. It is one reason I elected to go with single sectioned roller tip rods for most of my wire rigs. I use a short bungee at the end on my two section wire rods with a computer type velcro cable wrap to hold the sections together. It helps but as Gator mentioned I cut a few feet off every season where the curlies do occur.It mainly prevents kinks as the curly cues can come from other things.I've had good luck with Accustrand from Cablestrand Corporation the last few years.

Edited by Sk8man

I put a 3/4 oz egg sinker just above my snap slid down over the knot . Helps to keep it from curling when the dipsy is not attached . Doesn't seem to affect performance . Might even help. 

Put a 2 oz on my riggers to do same Thing . Works great . 

I tell you I read about tie a mono leader on my wires on this site. I use a small spro swivel with a nail knot to my mono.  20 ft of money also helps shock.  

I tell you I read about tie a mono leader on my wires on this site. I use a small spro swivel with a nail knot to my mono.  20 ft of money also helps shock.  
I've been doing the 50# leader for years. Makes working on divers very easy. Another benefit is when flea season rolls around, the fleas don't pile up ahead of your diver...and Like RD said, the mono acts like a shock absorber when a king pounds your rig....

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app