Update on my starweld

hookedupf7

As stated in earlier post trying to get major warranty work done on my starweld. Just wanted to give you guys an update. Boat is still not fixed. Live well is fixed but inside gunnel lids are not. . Thanksgiving I got a call from the dealer they have to send it to Illinois. A week ago I called dealer back and said they were going to get boat ready to ship. Instantly I fire an email to starweld. Next day reg. Rep calls me .After reaming this guy for for 25 minutes I  get reassured boat will be shipped New Years week. Called a number to factory warranty rep today and he acts like he doesn’t know nothing about it. But states they will get rite one it. Been since June trying to get this stuff fixed. Maybe I finally got through to them. Or could be more smoke and mirrors. Next call may be from a lawyer!!!

Sorry to hear your problems. I had an 18pro that i fished for 4 seasons. I thought it was great. Screws were a little short on the side storage panel hinges....my only real complaint. I knew before buying the gunnels weren't strong enough for riggers except back by the transom. Great price tho. Sold it last year and bought the starcraft fishmaster i originally wanted but that switch was for size. Anyway i caught a lot of fish on that boat and I hope they work it out for you with yours. I really liked the product i had but i accepted that the lower cost came with a price in some quality and finish. Leaks and assembly issues do stink though and fortunately i didnt have that problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Man I’m still fighting with them. They said they are going to fix it. They where supposed to pick it up New Years week. I haven’t got a phone call yet that they picked it up to take it to Indiana. I am going to call dealer and see if they . Mind you that I dropped this boat off the last week of September!!!

Hooked upf7 who is the dealer and why are they not fighting for you, the dealer should be YOUR go between and if it is a warranty problem the dealer should be fighting for you to get it fixed . I had a Bayliner  2452 classic that I bought new I had the boat 4 years and it had a baseball size spider web crack on the bottom where a bulkhead was pushing on the hall and any time the boat hit a wave it would hammer the hall from the in side, I took the boat in for winterizing and the service manger saw it and said we are keeping your boat they called the factory and with in Two weeks was on its way back to Bayliner for a new hall. I had my boat back in time for spring. This has gone on way to long and the dealer should be steeping up to help. I now  own a starcraft supper fisherman that I bought new and love that boat have had zero problems with it, you should never have to call the factory or any reps. that is  the dealers job. BUT I will tell you this if ITs one day out of  warranty they will not fix it at there cost.

My dealer went to bat for me till they wanted to charge me 2000.00 that when I told him to back out and I would handle it, after a3 way call they had my boat done in a week , I don’t know if this will help but try to call Joe Worstler 574-831-7061 , he at smokercraft 

I have been dealing with dealer. I thought he was giving me a line of bs so I went over his head. After talking to factory rep. I don’t think the dealer is bsing me.I got ahold of regional rep. He couldn’t answer  my questions so he sent me to service supervisor at factory. My boat is brand new in April. It’s not like it is a couple years old...

A friend of mine has a new Lund and where the window turns and comes down the side of the boat it acted like a magnifying glass and on a bright sunny day malted his black dash in one spot, the lund rep. told him that it was not under warranty and that he should have put a damp towel there to keep it from melting. you cant make this stuff up! I am with Gator I would get a Lawyer involved.at this point.

Well I decided to give Starcraft another call on my boat yesterday to see if they picked it up from dealer. The answer was no and they don’t plan on picking it up until they bring another truck up to drop dealers order from the factory. This is after rep told me that they would pick it up New Years week and have it back by first week in February. Mind you that it has been sitting at dealer since last week of September. When I asked rep what happened to picking it up New Years week he told me he never said that. I informed him that I was going to talk to a lawyer. I phoned lawyer today and he explained to me that because warranty is probably in Indiana where factory that I would have to travel out there to take care of it in court. He kind of made it sound like I was at the mercy of Starcraft.All I want is my boat to be fixed by th first of April to get out spring brown fishing. Man what a nightmare.

It is about time that you spread the news about the service that you are getting to all the boating web sites in the country and write letters to the different boating magazines. In Rochester,NY there will be a boat show in the end of January, make sure to make the bad service from Starcraft known to the public by handing out flyers at their boot on the show, or at least threaten to do so. Make sure to let Starcraft know that you plan to do these things.Most potential boat buyers will make these things count when it is time to decide.

Edited by rolmops

Find a different lawyer. Your guy doesn't seem to have his facts in order. Not every lawyer is versed in this type of law. Then sue them. Sometimes unfortunately the only way you can get results is with threats. And at this point it's become more than just your purchase. If New Orleans Saints fans can sue the NFL for lost enjoyment of life, I bet you have a case lol.

Then have the lawyer communicate with everyone involved to show that you're serious. Dealer, rep, factory...everyone. Have them claim documentation of breach of warranty and misrepresentation. And attach a big number to your claim, with increasing amounts due for every day that the issue persists.

Edited by Gator

I would get a second legal opinion. I’m not saying the person whom you contacted isn’t versed in this area but something doesn’t sound right. Your purchase was made in New York, you reside in New York, I would think NY courts would and could be involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

5 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

Fat trout I have been doing that. It doesn’t seem to be working. I let them know this in an email that I was heading to web sites. Curious about going to better business bureau. Does anybody have any experience how to do this?

I googled some combination of starcraft or starweld honor warranty and found a better business bureau page for complaints with Sylvan marine for Starweld and starcraft boats.  Sylvan marine responded to each one and of particular interest was the second one where the sylvan marine person explained the winter repair season and boating repair cycle as well as their large backlog at that particular time.  I would suggest reading it and also filing a complaint with the BBB perhaps under this same area as it seems sylvan marine is at least responding to these.  I thought smokercraft was the parent company, perhaps it is sylvan marine I'm no expert here.  I just saw complaints for starweld and starcraft responded to by sylvan marine.  I hope this helps.

Unfortunately if their 2018/2019 winter "repair season" is anything like what was described in 2017 I'd say the outlook for April return is poor. 

https://www.bbb.org/us/in/new-paris/profile/marine-sales-and-service/sylvan-marine-0352-10019943/complaints

Edited by Fat Trout

The email I got back today was from smokercraft. I gotta believe that is the parent company. They said that basically that they wont pick it up until there is a truck in the area. Which basically that’s means when they deliver new boats to dealers I am surmising. They said that they are at the mercy of trucking company. I am going to copy email tonight and post it if i can

another idea, find all dealers within a reasonable amount of travel and ask them if and when they have any boats coming in, so you can be sure to get a ride back. Or go back to the manufacture and ask them for their scheduled deliveries, maybe a worst case you would have to travel a bit to get your boat on a ride back. Last resolve bite the bullet deliver it yourself and back charge them for your expense.

You might contact local TV and newspapers in their area and see if they will do a Consumer watch dog type piece to rub their noses in local bad press, especially with local area boat and outdoor shows happening.

South Bend Tribune has large footprint in that area. South Bend has a NBC, CBS, and FOX affiliates. Ft Wayne has all networks and several newspapers. The more facts and correspondence from them that you can provide will help.

Well we have some progress finally. After sending multiple emails to the company they mysteriously came up with a truck. It picked it this am to head back to factory. At least that is a step forward
Assuming they have trucks going all over this time of year they likely diverted one that was passing close enough. It pays to stay on them. Getting it back is your next trick. In their defense logistics of boat movement is hard since boats dont ship easy...plus financially they can only have so many people addressing repairs so im sure a line forms and all they can do is work down the line. Communication is probably sh*t too....it seems that way everywhere these days.

Warranty work outside of what a dealer can competently handle is something i fear for any product.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app