Update on my starweld

hookedupf7

Communication has been terrible. That’s what they did was diverted a truck. I just can’t believe that manufacturers can get away with this kind of service. I have a buddy that works in a marina. He has been telling me what he has to deal along this same line. I actually feel bad for the dealers.They deal with it everyday

5 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

Well we have some progress finally. After sending multiple emails to the company they mysteriously came up with a truck. It picked it this am to head back to factory. At least that is a step forward

They might be reading the different websites about boating and fishing..........

Muskiedreams is right, BoatUS will go to bat for their members. Every issue of their magazine has several stories of people who had problems that the manufacturers turned their backs on. They wrote BoatUS, BoatUS contacted the manufacturer, and the manufacturer promptly righted their wrongs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got an email from Starcraft saying that they are working in my boat and it’s is expected to Be done the end of next week. That makes me feel a little better. Maybe I will make it out spring brown fishing. ONe more hurdle is getting it back from factory to dealer.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Seems I have to send my Starweld back for warranty work after I kept getting water in my fuel tank and multiple engine services they found the tank has some problems after he pressure checked it. Called rep and he said this boat was already in for gas tank replacement.... now this is a 2012 16DC pro I bought in March 2018 as a new boat that never sold. A leftover they powered with a 90 eTec so I’m not sure what to think now ... but I have to get it to a dealer 2 hours away bought it in PA 4 hour drive then they are going to truck it to Indiana

😞 walleye get hot here real soon plus I’m gonna be out for waterfowl not to mention all the cash I burned fixing the engine that they said water damage isn’t covered on my 90 eTec  so I sit here processing everything I seen this post and  

now here I am. Hope it all works out any updates? Wanted to know what to expect 

I dropped mine off September. Got it back  end of March. Once it got to factory it returned pretty quick. I am not sure who dropped the ball on mine. Dealer or starweld. It has been good since then. Man it dosnt seem rite if the water damage was caused because of tank issue. I had a few sessions with them on the phone. If you have issues let me know. I think I have a few contacts I think. They don’t like when you call them though

water into fuel is interesting / concerning.   Aside from entry to tank and how that is happening I would be sure from now on (if you don't already) you have a water fuel separator.  Most boats have them these days it seems.  I replace mine annually out of paranoia.    I had a starweld with no problems and moved to something else.  

@Bob256, It sucks in situations like yours. It seems like the customer shouldn't be left holding the bag. You have a boat warranty and a motor warranty but if one fails it is covered under warranty but the damage done to the other isn't. Isn't there any wording in those warranties covering collateral damage?

So in another possible scenario,  if the motor fails and causes a fire in the boat, the mfg of the boat will not cover the boat damages because it was not a failure of their product and the motor manufacturer only covers the motor.

Yea I guess I have a unique situation I’m still trying to figure out how my boat has already been to Indiana for a tank replacement so did I really get a new boat? I mean how could this happen if Towne marine said this was a leftover .. 

I know here in Ohio, charter/tournament guys get to use a new boat for the whole year and sell it at the end of the season as a new untitled boat. The only cost is the difference of what they sell it for and what it cost new. Usually very little.

Looks like Starweld is one to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I wouldnt go that far as my 2015 18 pro was a great problem free boat. They are trying to hit a lower price point though and some of the way they did some things coulda been better. For that matter i thought starcraft did some things the cheapo way on my fishmaster 196. If the OP had a 2012 leftover in 2018 i would wonder why it was around that long and i would hazard a guess that towne marine got a good deal on it from the factory. And it never sat around at towne marine for that long. Im stretching but it may have had rework for a QC issue and wasnt used so considered new once it was reworked. It may have sat around at the factory until it was fixed. Im definitely curious.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know here in Ohio, charter/tournament guys get to use a new boat for the whole year and sell it at the end of the season as a new untitled boat. The only cost is the difference of what they sell it for and what it cost new. Usually very little.
While there may be some deal where warranty is considered as new etc and a discount is involved. im sure no dealer is passing one of these off as "brand new" as that would be fraud.

4 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

While there may be some deal where warranty is considered as new etc and a discount is involved. im sure no dealer is passing one of these off as "brand new" as that would be fraud.

It only becomes fraud if you get caught......

12 hours ago, Decoy Hound said:

So just off the phone with Darrell he said when they sold the boat to Towne Marine it had a Yamaha engine.. I also asked the date of original gas tank replacement but he wasn’t willing to offer that information. I explained my situation asked about collateral damages. He told me they don’t cover that stuff. But shortly after called me and requested my invoices from my local eTec dealer.  I found a local Starcraft dealership that’s willing to help me get this boat back to Indiana.. I hope for a good outcome. 

13 minutes ago, Bob256 said:

So just off the phone with Darrell he said when they sold the boat to Towne Marine it had a Yamaha engine.. I also asked the date of original gas tank replacement but he wasn’t willing to offer that information. I explained my situation asked about collateral damages. He told me they don’t cover that stuff. But shortly after called me and requested my invoices from my local eTec dealer.  I found a local Starcraft dealership that’s willing to help me get this boat back to Indiana.. I hope for a good outcome. 

This story is starting to smell fishier and fishier. Why was the engine removed and replaced with a different one? And other questions might be: When and why was the Yamaha removed? What, if any, changes have to be made to the fuel system when switching engine from the Yamaha motor to the eTec motor? Could or did the original dealer have done something during the change over or otherwise to compromise the fuel system and cause the problem? Did your eTec mechanic pinpoint the exact fault that caused the problem of water in the fuel system or fuel tank? (such as a faulty tank or vent) And ultimately, was it a MFG default or something done at the dealer that caused the problem? Those questions may be hard to get the answers to (with documented proof) since the dealer and the Mfg. may have somewhat of a symbiotic relationship and dealers may not want to point a finger at another dealer. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. It sounds like you shouldn't have to pay the cost of repairing the motor if the problem was caused by a defect in the boat or caused by the dealer.

Good luck, and I hope you get this resolved. It is bad enough you are stuck with a boat you still can't use.