Update on my starweld

hookedupf7

36 minutes ago, lrg355 said:

I am very familiar with Towne Marine in Bloomsburg. Bought 2 boats from him over the last few years. Something strange about him handling an Etec as new. They are a Yamaha dealer. I asked about Evinrude and Merc a few years ago and he said they don't deal with them.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yea they told me they were an eTec dealer and wasn’t anymore so they recommended I took the boat to a local eTec dealer and they verified that the engine was in fact new, and eTec honored the warranty. So I did have a new engine. I just didn’t receive any boat history, as I was told this was a leftover sitting around that they powered with an eTec. This was my first new boat purchase. They seemed like a reputable dealer with new Starweld boats there for sale and I bought this off the internet and drove down to pick it up. Like I said I hope it all turns out ok. It really sucks to be without my boat for the waterfowl and walleye season. 

On 9/4/2019 at 8:08 PM, Bob256 said:

Seems I have to send my Starweld back for warranty work after I kept getting water in my fuel tank and multiple engine services they found the tank has some problems after he pressure checked it. Called rep and he said this boat was already in for gas tank replacement.... now this is a 2012 16DC pro I bought in March 2018 as a new boat that never sold. A leftover they powered with a 90 eTec so I’m not sure what to think now ... but I have to get it to a dealer 2 hours away bought it in PA 4 hour drive then they are going to truck it to Indiana

😞 walleye get hot here real soon plus I’m gonna be out for waterfowl not to mention all the cash I burned fixing the engine that they said water damage isn’t covered on my 90 eTec  so I sit here processing everything I seen this post and  

now here I am. Hope it all works out any updates? Wanted to know what to expect 

You have a PM

On 9/6/2019 at 5:03 PM, Rookie Fisherman said:

You have a PM

I’ve replied sorry it took so long. I was out goose hunting yesterday getting pulled around in my ****ty old canoe by my buddies 12’ skipper and I was really bumming I don’t have a boat for this season. 😕

Our star weld had the weld seam split on back corner. Luckily noticed it backing down the ramp. Sent info and photos to dealer and still waiting for a pick up. Happened in June.IMG_1057.thumb.JPG.edce94f025c937076971af05b17d79a6.JPGIMG_1057.thumb.JPG.edce94f025c937076971af05b17d79a6.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
There is no weld penetration whatsoever in that seem . Seeing that I wouldn't own a star weld . Name alone is a joke

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Our star weld had the weld seam split on back corner. Luckily noticed it backing down the ramp. Sent info and photos to dealer and still waiting for a pick up. Happened in June.IMG_1057.thumb.JPG.edce94f025c937076971af05b17d79a6.JPGIMG_1057.thumb.JPG.edce94f025c937076971af05b17d79a6.JPG

Unacceptable

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

This whole thread is really sad and makes me angry!  People work hard for their money and choose a boat like this expecting it to be of good quality as expensive as it is!! Then to find out they have been taken by the company with a piece of junk!! Everyone in this thread should be refunded all their money so they can buy a boat from a different manufacturer!! These thin aluminum boats are not really meant to be welded anyhow, too thin in my opinion to get a substantial weld, like trying to weld a pop can. The boats coming out of the Pacific Northwest are true welded aluminum boats, these thin aluminum boats are better off riveted. I wish everyone in this thread the best of luck!!

On my 2013 Starweld a seam in the front split , they claimed I hit something, which I knew I didn’t, I found some bad welds on the braces and the factory agree to replace the hull and only cost to me was 2000.00 because the boat was 2yr old , after a 10 minute conversation with the factory they agree to do it free , they had me back on the water within a week only because I dropped it off at the factory, there is no reason for welds to split like that if welded correctly. 

InSanEddie, don’t be a nice guy , tell them to take care of this problem immediately or your going to hire a lawyer and the cost of this boat ain’t **** of what your going to sue for , there no reason to wait that long for someone to ship it back to the factory, when I told them that they move quickly, you have a case hands down 

Edited by Kwall

14 hours ago, InSanEddie said:

Our star weld had the weld seam split on back corner. Luckily noticed it backing down the ramp. Sent info and photos to dealer and still waiting for a pick up. Happened in June.

The problem is they are only going to schedule a pick up when then dealer has a load of new boats arriving so they can load it on the truck as its heading back to Indiana. Some smaller dealers only get a couple deliveries a year. Maybe see if there is a larger dealer within a reasonable driving distance and pick up can be arranged there at a sooner date.

You should contact the Manufacture directly. They should be able to arrange pick up at any Starweld, Starcraft, Smokercraft our Sylvan dealer as they fall under the Smokercraft umbrella. Here are a couple of contacts at the manufacture.

[email protected] Warranty repair supervisor

[email protected]  Customer service rep

Edited by Rookie Fisherman

How the heck is my 1988 Crestliner Sabre (welded aluminum, and not that west coast heavy gauge stuff) still holding up after 40+ years of fishing when these new boats are breaking left and right?

There's no excuse for these modern boat makers to be allowing these boats to be sold, let alone pass their quality control standards.

I hope Starweld makes it right for all of you who bought a poorly built boat.

How the heck is my 1988 Crestliner Sabre (welded aluminum, and not that west coast heavy gauge stuff) still holding up after 40+ years of fishing when these new boats are breaking left and right?

There's no excuse for these modern boat makers to be allowing these boats to be sold, let alone pass their quality control standards.

I hope Starweld makes it right for all of you who bought a poorly built boat.
There is no quality control standards. I too have a thirty-year-old sabre I've never had any type of haul problems in any form.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fisherdude said:

There is no quality control standards. I too have a thirty-year-old sabre I've never had any type of haul problems in any form.

Apparently, Crestliner is still making boats with all-welded construction today, and you don't hear any problems with the new Crestliners.

3 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

Apparently, Crestliner is still making boats with all-welded construction today, and you don't hear any problems with the new Crestliners.

I fished a Starweld 18 Pro for 4 seasons....no problems.  Admittedly they are trying to hit a lower price point and that always comes with a catch.  I recall Crestliner back when my father and I were looking at boats before we ended up with a 88 Grumman 18'er.  Back then Crestliner was definitely a more expensive boat and looking at the commander series recently (before I bought my Fishmaster 196), they are still more costly than a Starweld and rightfully so it would seem as I see a few of the older ones around. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hap said:

I have a Hewescraft, a Pacific Northwest boat and agree the welds and thicker aluminum are much more substantial. Funny thing is they cost less than the Starcraft and Lunds.

I looked at hewescraft and they were NOT cheap but I would have LOVED their welded thicker hull.  However the big thing I noticed with the NW boats at least in the 18-21' class is they didn't have the beam of my Starcraft FM196 until you go to the Ocean Pro series and at that point you were 22' and a pretty pricey boat.  I've come to find you definitely pay more for extra beam.  The Ocean Pro's were just out of my league for cost.    4-6" of beam might not seem like a lot but it was important to me.  As for Lund....no argument there.  I think they are overpriced for what they are and they are riding the name a little more than they should (IMO)

What model Hewescraft do you have?

• Like 1

The only downside with the Pacific Northwest boats is there are not many around the Great Lakes area to pick from, I found mine up in Michigan. I also agree that the older welded boats seem to hold up better, maybe the aluminum was thicker.42D92030-0481-4894-B765-2784898C6689.thumb.jpeg.9a2b8cbe89312413b12dc12c71204067.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

I looked at hewescraft and they were NOT cheap but I would have LOVED their welded thicker hull.  However the big thing I noticed with the NW boats at least in the 18-21' class is they didn't have the beam of my Starcraft FM196 until you go to the Ocean Pro series and at that point you were 22' and a pretty pricey boat.  I've come to find you definitely pay more for extra beam.  The Ocean Pro's were just out of my league for cost.    4-6" of beam might not seem like a lot but it was important to me.  As for Lund....no argument there.  I think they are overpriced for what they are and they are riding the name a little more than they should (IMO)

What model Hewescraft do you have?

I have the Sportsman 180. I compared it to a Lund that was for sale locally and it was a no brainer for price and quality. I bought from Brian at Erie Marine, just west of Cleveland and trailered it back to NH. They have some nice new Hewescraft boats for sale or you can order to your liking and wait, which is what I did.

Sportsman 180 home.jpg

• Like 2