Electril drill and battery. Good deal!

machzrcr

If anyone was looking to get a really beefy drill. With a big battery home depot is having a sale. If you buy a 9.0ah ridgid battery and charger u get a free tool! The Ridgid octane drill has 1300 in/lb torgue! The drill is 150$ alone, but u can get them both for 160 together!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ya i looked it up it is a descent drill, about average has 600 in/lb torque. I wanted To go with with a higher torque model to run the 8inch auger. Which is why i decided the Ridgid. Milwaukee has a 1200in/lb drill that is Nice also!

Understandable. I got a new clam attachment and that drill set. I'm hoping it will be enough for my 8 inch eskamo
I got the clam attachment for an x mas gift also! Just put it together lol. I figure will be nice to have the extra handle.

My buddy just picked up the Milwaukee Impact Driver/Drill combo 2804-22 with two 5 Ah batteries for $229 new off eBay. It's brushless, has 1200 ft.-lbs of torque and runs great at low speed. I've had the 2704-22-same thing practically-for a couple years and it's the bomb. With the Clam plate and a Nils auger, the thing is premium.

I just looked at that Ryobi combo at Home Depot and you probably want to make sure that the drill has the right torque. The 2000 ft.-lbs is for the impact driver, which is a separate tool, and to my understanding you want to be on the drill setting of the combo tools, not the impact driver setting, when drilling holes in the ice. The drill in the combo may have much less torque. I could be off-base, but if you're seriously considering it I'd look really hard first.

Here's a top rated seller that lists for $239: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-FUEL-M18-2804-22-1-2-Inch-Lithium-Ion-Hammer-Drill-Kit/113495417291?epid=13020357204&hash=item1a6cdaa1cb:g:fBwAAOSwLmBb9bx5:rk:15:pf:0

If you search Milwaukee 2804-22 on eBay, you'll get a bunch of options. There's auctions going on that are ~170 now and a bunch of sellers with new combos at $229 with free shipping. I may be mistaken about the impact driver; it could apply to the "hammer" setting of the hammer drill lol. Still, right tool for the right job is worth thinking about, and the consensus on IceShanty is fairly clear.

My buddy just picked up the Milwaukee Impact Driver/Drill combo 2804-22 with two 5 Ah batteries for $229 new off eBay. It's brushless, has 1200 ft.-lbs of torque and runs great at low speed. I've had the 2704-22-same thing practically-for a couple years and it's the bomb. With the Clam plate and a Nils auger, the thing is premium.
Yupp it was a toss up between the Ridgid and the Milwaukee for me, Milwaukee has 1200in/lb and Ridgid has 1300. I went with the ridgid just because of this deal with the 9.0 ah battery.

2 minutes ago, Gator said:

Here's a top rated seller that lists for $239: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-FUEL-M18-2804-22-1-2-Inch-Lithium-Ion-Hammer-Drill-Kit/113495417291?epid=13020357204&hash=item1a6cdaa1cb:g:fBwAAOSwLmBb9bx5:rk:15:pf:0

If you search Milwaukee 2804-22 on eBay, you'll get a bunch of options. There's auctions going on that are ~170 now and a bunch of sellers with new combos at $229 with free shipping. I may be mistaken about the impact driver; it could apply to the "hammer" setting of the hammer drill lol. Still, right tool for the right job is worth thinking about, and the consensus on IceShanty is fairly clear.

The handle with the hammer drill works ok with the clam?

Gotcha. I like having two batteries in case one goes dead I know what I have left to work with, but six of one, half a dozen of the other. You'll probably never burn through nine Ah in one day anyway.

I think the new Clam plate uses a regular 1/2" chuck no modifications necessary and should be fine. Check out the latest poop on IceShanty, but I have the 2704 with the Clam and it's FANTASTIC.

4 minutes ago, Gator said:

Thanks.. Will probably return the rayobi when arrives today and purchase this

Let me know once you get it whether it looks like it will work. It's a good deal if it does. You may want to put out a quick feeler on Shanty first, too, and get some expert crowd-sourced input before going through the hassle. Good luck!

A hammer/drill is what is needed with adjustable settings for either high speed drill or torque and it needs to be used on the high torque setting for ice drilling. The 8 inch augers take a lot of juice and I found that stepping down to a 7 inch is just right to really extend the battery. I also bought a few 18 volt  1/2 inch drills such as the Ryobi, Makita, Dewalt, and Black and Decker and had to take them all back because they wouldn't perform capably - before I stumbled upon the Bosch 1/2 inch Hammer/drill which is an animal and I have drilled over 50 holes at a time in 8 inches or more ice without tapping out a single battery. The torque is rated at 750 lbs. The sharpness of the blades is more important than the torque once you have enough battery and sufficient torque available. It is something that overkill may not be real desireable as even the 750 lbs  can feel like it is going to snap your wrist sometimes. The new Milwakees and Bosch drills are the way to go in my opinion. Having two batteries (just in case) is always desireable too.

By the way, I've had my first Bosch for about 10 years and drilled thousands of holes and still have the same two batteries and hammer/drill. I just bought a new one this year for the ice and will use the other at home as a high speed drill :smile:

Edited by Sk8man

I agree with sk8. Altho i use a mikita and am happy with it..... 2 upgraded batteries come in handy. Particularly on very cold days. I also use 7". It greatly extends batt life. Not many fish that wont fit thru a 7" hole. When im eye fishing i just double up the hole. The drill really does feel like its going to break ur wrist sometimes, lol. Torque is impressive. Good luck. Best investment i have ever made. Dont miss my gas auger one bit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United