Electril drill and battery. Good deal!

machzrcr

I agree with sk8. Altho i use a mikita and am happy with it..... 2 upgraded batteries come in handy. Particularly on very cold days. I also use 7". It greatly extends batt life. Not many fish that wont fit thru a 7" hole. When im eye fishing i just double up the hole. The drill really does feel like its going to break ur wrist sometimes, lol. Torque is impressive. Good luck. Best investment i have ever made. Dont miss my gas auger one bit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
What batteries are you running?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Man, that's a coincidence. I just had surgery on my middle finger Thursday of this week. The Clam plate won't twist you up nearly as badly as using a handle on the bare drill. I saw a guy nearly break his wrist that way. That's why using the drill on the low speed setting is important, too. I myself have no worries at all after having fished with this rig the past two years, even given that I can't lift a coffee cup if it puts pressure on my middle finger right now. And I don't even bother with the drill until there's at least six inches of ice, so I figure I've got a few weeks to heal. Go low and slow and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
What batteries are you running?

The largest mikita batts i could find reasonably priced. Id have to look but they are either 5 or 6 Ah. If its not too cold I can easily rip 40-50 holes on 12" of ice. Keeping blades sharp is important, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

The largest mikita batts i could find reasonably priced. Id have to look but they are either 5 or 6 Ah. If its not too cold I can easily rip 40-50 holes on 12" of ice. Keeping blades sharp is important, too.

What do you use to sharpen blades? What a great discussion this was! Maybe I should start a new topic for sharpening blades?

9 hours ago, machzrcr said:

I bring mine to bay bridge to sharpen them. Have not figured out the angle of the blade to sharpen. If its wrong they can be razor sharp and still not cut. At all!

That is exactly right...self sharpening is not a great idea. The blades can be ruined very easily messing with them. It is important to keep the cover on them when not in use and not leave the auger standing up on a half drilled hole like some I've seen. I had one set of Lazer blades for over 10 years and more than a thousand holes drilled with it by not ever touching the blades with anything and keeping the cover on. It is also important to let the blades do the cutting and not using excessive pressure on them while cutting. Sometimes folks think the blades aren't sharp and it is actually the angle they are holding the auger at that is the problem...they have to be kept straight up and down not on an angle.

Exactly right! I tried self sharpening one time.... big mistake, lol. My spud cut ice better when I was done. Now I just buy new blades when its time. As sk8 mentioned, keeping the cover on when not in use helps keep things sharp and let the auger do the work. Also, be aware of the ice you are drilling. Sometimes the ice can have debris in it that may dull or knick your blades. Particularly in the late season.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United