ISO new deer hunting firearms

Legacy

I'm in the market for a couple of new guns for deer hunting. I am looking for a new muzzleloader and a new shotgun along with new scopes for both. I would like some input from you guys on...

Shotgun?
Shotgun scope?
Ammo?
Muzzleloader?
Scope?
Ammo?

Lets hear it!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

25 years ago (ish) i bought a Mossberg combo 12 guage with a junk bushnell scope.  Cheap black synthetic stock with a case.  If memory serves me right it cost about $280.  It is a complete tackdriver.   I have never cleaned it, I have never adjusted the scope and its dead nuts.  For $2500 I might just let it go.  (this price is solely for Rob, sorry Scott, I want it to go to a good home)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, longspurs said:

SAVAGE 220 20 GAGE BOLT ACTION. Most accurate gun on the market for shot gun. Fast and flat shooting , tac driver. Scope ..u know spend the $$$
Remington copper solids

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What he said.  I doubt you will find a more accurate slug gun once u find out what slugs it likes.  Accu tips are another good option for slugs with this gun.

I use a Browning A-5 with a 2.5X Bushnell scope. I bought the gun the day after I turned 18, way back when all you had to do is walk in a gun shop and fill out a form.
Belgium Browning light 12, topped with a Leopold 2 x 7 Buck barrel 2 and 3/4 Winchester preemption gold is my preference on ammo. The original gun was given to me by my grandfather. I kind of retarded the gun. I went with a Benelli super Black eagle same scope 2 x 7 Leopold . I use the same ammo but the guns also is chamber 3 inch . Then County when rifle. Muzzleloader I like the TC Omega have and it also has a 2 by 7 Leupold scope on it

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Haven't hunted in years but my 12 guage Ithaca Model 37 with Deerslayer 20 inch barrel was accurate as heck with nearly any slug fired from it even when I converted it to a pistol grip for different use:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I own a twelve ga Ultra Slug gun and it is a tack driver but a pain to lug around due to weight. It is a tree stand gun. Most of my family and friends I hunt with have the Savage Bolt in 20 Ga. if I had to do it again, I would buy the Savage. The two stage accutrigger helps your shooting as you will know exactly when the gun will go off. 

14 hours ago, Legacy said:

Anyone have any experience with Vortex scopes? I went to the Firing Pin gun shop and Runnings today, and both places spoke very highly of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a vortex spotting scope .... absolutely no complaints. At the Harrisburg show last year I looked at a fairly new brand called Tract. They had some really good stuff at the show. I bought a pair of their Binoculars (8x42) and have been very, very pleased. The brand is definitely worth a look.They are direct to consumer so their pricing is quite competitive.  

https://www.tractoptics.com/

1 hour ago, Gill-T said:

I own a twelve ga Ultra Slug gun and it is a tack driver but a pain to lug around due to weight. It is a tree stand gun. Most of my family and friends I hunt with have the Savage Bolt in 20 Ga. if I had to do it again, I would buy the Savage. The two stage accutrigger helps your shooting as you will know exactly when the gun will go off. 

Just make sure you remember it's a two stage trigger! I have a buddy who couldn't figure out why his gun wouldn't fire this year while a buck stood right in front of him lol. I think he needs to shoot more...but the gun is a keeper. I'm with Billy in using a plain Jane Winchester Model 12 that's almost as old as I am. It's on it's third Bushnell Banner scope...cheap crap, yes, but it's a shotgun not a rifle and I could hit deer with open sights at 50 yards where most of my shots are...and I've shot more deer than I can count with it. I made the mistake of cleaning it this year, though. I'll probably never hit another deer with it.

I'm with Brian on the Accura V2, and I'm partial to Leupold scopes. Here's the best deal I found: https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/cva-accura-v2-leupold-combo-pr3125snlc.html

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gator said:

I'm with Brian on the Accura V2, and I'm partial to Leupold scopes. Here's the best deal I found: https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/cva-accura-v2-leupold-combo-pr3125snlc.html

Thank you. That website is amazing. I really like this setup. When i buy it will probably come from this website.

• Like 1

I would highly suggest looking into smokeless muzzleloaders.. you can buy a cva scout converted to a smokeless for less than $800.. its a 350yd gun if you do your part.. Hankins Custom Rifles usually has them in stock.. there is alil more to shooting a smokeless rig but the pros outweigh the cons

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chromeslayer said:

I would highly suggest looking into smokeless muzzleloaders.. you can buy a cva scout converted to a smokeless for less than $800.. its a 350yd gun if you do your part.. Hankins Custom Rifles usually has them in stock.. there is alil more to shooting a smokeless rig but the pros outweigh the cons

Is that bad a** gun of yours smokeless?

14 hours ago, Duckman1 said:

Cva Accura v2. Hornady 50cal 250gr bullet. Blackhorn powder 100 grains loose with special breach plug made for that powder. 1" groups at 100yrds. 2" at 200. Very very accurate. But nothing is good if you dont practice.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This really seems to be a popular setup. Certainly one that i am considering.

Savage 220. With Nikon slughunter have killed deer at 180 and have shot pumpkins out to 225 Remington accu tips and federal trophy copper Shoot great same hole at 100 I’m converting Remington 700 muzzleloader into a smokeless. Muzzleloader. New barrel breach plug. Clean. Don’t have to clean after every shot. It’s the way to go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I will agree with the savage bolt action 220 but I prefer the 212, have had it for around 18 years. Fantastic shooting slug gun.. but, I was able to find a bolt gun that's a bit nicer. 3 years ago I bought the browning a-bolt slug gun. It shoots as good, if not a bit better out to 175 yards, feels much better with swelled palm grip and soft rubber texture that doesnt slip. It's just an all around beautiful gun that drives tacks.. and it's a 12.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app